Concertina Microphones

Hi all

Just arrived home from work and tried out the microvox mics. Just the job :P . Will be able to tell better the next time the band is together with all equipment. Melodian player and I are quite sympathetic towards each others playing - he's not a bad guy .......for a melodian player ;) The main reason we had to start using mics was the vocals and the bouzouki had to be amplified and then it just didn't sound right with half the sound coming out of the speakers and the rest from the stage.

Oh and Chris As I was at work when I made my last post without concertina I wrongly rememered the serial number being at the top - once I got home and connected it all up it made sense where the wires dangled.

Once again thank you all so much with all your advice.

Hi all

Just arrived home from work and tried out the microvox mics. Just the job :P . Will be able to tell better the next time the band is together with all equipment. Melodian player and I are quite sympathetic towards each others playing - he's not a bad guy .......for a melodian player ;) The main reason we had to start using mics was the vocals and the bouzouki had to be amplified and then it just didn't sound right with half the sound coming out of the speakers and the rest from the stage.

Oh and Chris As I was at work when I made my last post without concertina I wrongly rememered the serial number being at the top - once I got home and connected it all up it made sense where the wires dangled.

Once again thank you all so much with all your advice.

sounds like you found your workable solution, thats always good. I think those microvox mics are bit over priced and have considered wiring up my own electret mics (the capsules range from 50 cents to about 10 dollars each, depending on specs, manufacturer, etc).

I also have an untested idea for an extreme conditions concertina miking system:

Imagine a curved plexiglas semi-circle, big enough to reach around both sides of your hands, probably about 2' diameter (or imagine a trapezoidal, octagonal shape that approximates a semi circle \__/ ). The heigth would need to be about 1-2' and it would be atatched to a mic or music stand so that you and your concertina are enclosed from the front.

I suppose you could run it all the way to the floor too, but thats kind of bulky and alot to carry.

On either the front or mounted on each side facing your tina would be a PZM (pressure zone microphone) - these are designed to lie flat on a surface which acts as part of the microphone. The area normally has to be a square meter or more, but at 1.5 x 2' you would be very close to 1 meter surface area.

The idea is that the sound from the concertina would reflect within the circular plexiglass area and be picked up by the PZM (either a central one in front, or 1 on each side).

Think of it as a "Concertina Sneeze Guard" - it would help isolate from other on stage noise and wind, and allow an even pick up of both sides of the box.

a side benefit is it would also help protect your concertina from rotten tomatoes and other produce hurled at the stage (maybe thats just my problem?).

Though I have often thought just placing a single PZM on the floor under neath the concertina in front of your chair would work in a solo situation, I have not tried it.