Willie Clancy Week

Tom Carey has been an inspiration to me since 2002. I booked a night in Kilrush on my way to Dingle. I searched out the session at Crotty's but was told it was off that night due to one of the lads having a death in the family. So in search of a session, I saw a man strolling down Henry Street with a concertina case. I followed him o a pub called the Island House, and sat and waited for the tunes to happen. In came a woman named Aine, and a young Sharon O'Leary, so they set up to play, and I being a tourist, sat and listened for a while. As Tom headed up for a pint, I said how much I enjoyed his music. Next thing I know I played till closing ( and then a bit) with that crowd. So myself and Aine on flutes, Sharon and Tom on concertinas, a perfect session. There was a tour of Spanish people in the pub that night, filming, and asking questions throughout the night. When it came time to interview me for the camera, I think they were surprised that a Floridian sat in and knew most of the tunes played. I came back through a few nights later and sought Tom out again, he welcomed me as if I were a dear friend, and another great night of music followed. Two years later I found myself in session at Crotty's, with Tom, and a box player ( name eludes me) and Sharon O'Leary, along with Mairead Cosodine. Once again, Tom welcomed me in as if we had only seen each other the day before. I have spent some time playing a few tunes with him during my last few visits to Kilrush during the Crotty weekend, and I will once again search out the chance to hear this master of concertina, playing in his element.

I haven't attended the concertina recital here before but I've been to the accordion one a few times. It is interesting to note that I've always perceived a good variety in style of playing at the box recital - the whole gamut from Sliabh Luachra to Christy MacNamara to Anders to Jackie Daly etc. Maybe my ear is not developed well enough yet, but I didn't hear the same differences from the concertina players? Maybe something to do with the concertina being more associated with one region? or the influence of certain key players? Any ideas?

Well there's a definite bias toward Clare concertina teachers in the concertina side of things. Nothing wrong with that per se, it's a Clare festival, but it does affect the variety of styles you'll encounter. - You'll never see Niall Vallely or Micheál O Raghallaigh teaching in Miltown for example. I'd love to get a gig teaching there myself, it's gotta be the most desirable one on the calendar - accomodation in Miltown for the Willie week - sweet! :)

I'm free next July too....

(does Mr Hill read this forum??)

:lol:

But if you had a choice of a 30 key and a 38 key, I would see no reason for not choosing the 38 key instrument.

What about the added weight? Is that not worth worrying about?

Not in my opinion. I've never noticed a significant weight differential, and if there was the greater flexibility of the 38key layout would cancel it out.

The Suttners are so well made and nicely weighted and balanced anyway it's certainly not an issue there.

Two years later I found myself in session at Crotty's, with Tom, and a box player ( name eludes me) and Sharon O'Leary, along with Mairead Cosodine.

Vanessa Miller maybe? He's playing with Josephine Marsh this year, though Vanessa is likely to be there too in Buggle's on Thursday nights.

I have spent some time playing a few tunes with him during my last few visits to Kilrush during the Crotty weekend, and I will once again search out the chance to hear this master of concertina, playing in his element.

Every time I see Tom these days, I feel it a blessing that he is still with us and enjoying life, even with "the big C" hanging over him.

Edited by Stephen Chambers