Larry Kinsella Cd

That's interesting news, I must get that!

Larry is an old friend who I don't get to see so much of these days, since he moved to Arklow and I moved to Clare. He originally played button accordion, like his father, and changed from that to concertina like his friend Tony Crehan - who though originally from West Clare, spent much of his life in Gorey, Co. Wexford, not too far from Camolin where Larry originates from.

Here's a link to the CD: Larry Kinsella - The Barley Grain

I'd describe his playing as being in a more "mature" style.

Whom else would you put in the "mature" catagory?

Mark,

Anybody who's not a "whizz-kid"! ;)

But seriously, Larry has been teaching/performing at Summer Schools in Ireland for many years now, including the Willie Clancy (Miltown Malbay) and Joe Mooney (Drumshanbo) ones, and his style would not be flashy or as over-ornamented as I might find some of his fellow teachers. There's a piping influence in his playing.

larry.jpg

Larry, Drumshanbo 2001

Edited by Stephen Chambers

• 1 year later...

Hello folks

I want to highly recommend this Cd “The Barley Grain” by Larry Kinsella.

The playing of Larry Kinsella is wonderfully soulful and rich. His playing has a wonderful pulse and moves along at a thoughtful and deliberate tempo. I have been trying to listen closely and I am impressed how Mr. Kinsella makes each note count.

What I enjoy especially is the quality of the recording. This Cd wonderfully captures the sweet rich tone of the traditional concertina. He plays a Wheatstone C/G, and Ab/Eb, and a Jeffries Bb/F, on the various tracks. The sound of the concertina on this recording is really delectable. I would use this Cd as an aural example in one of those ongoing debate/discussions on the sound of concertina reeds and accordion reeds.

Thanks,

Richard

• 3 years later...

I have brought up this thread after yesterday , elsewhere, the following sad news was posted :

Concertina player Larry Kinsella died at his home in Wicklow this afternoon.R.I.PHe will be sadly missed at sessions and workshops all over the country and especially in his home county of Wexford.

Hi Peter

Sorry to hear the news about Larry. I played with him a few times during the eighties and nineties. The last time I met him he was in the company of Felim O'Raghailligh. I always got on with him especially after he rejoined civilian life. He had a great interest in the game of hurling and he even trained the Waterford minor hurling team for a while.

John

I have brought up this thread after yesterday , elsewhere, the following sad news was posted :

Concertina player Larry Kinsella died at his home in Wicklow this afternoon.R.I.P He will be sadly missed at sessions and workshops all over the country and especially in his home county of Wexford.

Sad news indeed! Another fine "concertina voice" silenced (along with Louisa Jo Killen a few days ago)

I took some time to learn a few tunes off Larry's album and have always considered it time very well spent. May he liven up the heavenly ceili band!

Greg

I was very sad to learn of Larry's passing yesterday, in two virtually simultaneous text messages - one from John McMahon (who tells me he had an "absolutely gorgeous" session with Larry only 2 Fridays ago) and the other from Mícheál Ó Raghallaigh.

For anyone who would like to attend the funeral, the arrangements are on the rip.ie website: http://www.rip.ie/showdn.php?dn=202425/LarryKINSELLA/Wicklow%20Town/Wicklow

Edited by Stephen Chambers

• 2 weeks later...

?

Frank, I thought you missed the reason for bringing up this thread, and maybe you still have, and I tried to draw your attention to that. But if, as it seems, your need to comment on the CD trumps the need to pause moment and spare a thought at the time of the player's death, I am sorry about that.

Edited by Peter Laban