Anglow Keyboard Layout

Hi All I am thinking of changeing some keys on my C/G anglo to aid playing in D, the first one I wish to consider is the low A pull on the bottom of the G row .I would like to change this to a low D to give me an (ump) for the pull D cord (pa).Can any one tell me a disadvantage to this. I use my anglo for session playing (Irish Style) and left and right hand song accompaniment (English style ) Bob

Edited by KelTekgolow

Hi All I am thinking of changeing some keys on my anglo the first one I wish to consider is the low A pull on the bottom of the G row .I would like to change this to a low D to give me an (ump) for the pull D cord (pa).Can any one tell me a disadvantage to this. I use my anglo for session playing (Irish Style) and left and right hand song accompaniment (English style ) Bob

I think you'd be crazy. You already have a pull D in the middle row, so why would you need another. The lachenals for some reason often have the layout you're suggesting and I'm not a fan. The low A is much handier, you can use it in A minor and A major tunes, in F chords, and in my opinion it beefs up a D chord much more effectively than a second D ever could.

Hi All I am thinking of changeing some keys on my anglo the first one I wish to consider is the low A pull on the bottom of the G row .I would like to change this to a low D to give me an (ump) for the pull D cord (pa).Can any one tell me a disadvantage to this. I use my anglo for session playing (Irish Style) and left and right hand song accompaniment (English style ) Bob

I think you'd be crazy. You already have a pull D in the middle row, so why would you need another. The lachenals for some reason often have the layout you're suggesting and I'm not a fan. The low A is much handier, you can use it in A minor and A major tunes, in F chords, and in my opinion it beefs up a D chord much more effectively than a second D ever could.

I am certanly not crazy you have misunderstood I want the D one octave lower than the existing d pull on the c row to give an ump to the d cord Bob

Edited by KelTekgolow

What kind of a concertina do you have? I would think that the main question would be whether such a low reed would fit (and if it would fit, would sound ok) in a spot intended for a higher one.

I am certanly not crazy you have misunderstood I want the D one octave lower than the existing d pull on the c row to give an ump to the d cord Bob

I usually advise against changing notes in the "core 30". As I am fond of saying, we are only the custodians of good concertinas, and we bear a responsibility to future generations to pass on an instrument that is not so personal that it is difficult for future owners to play (Lord, that sounds pompous, but I really feel that way).

On the other hand, I've always regarded the extra buttons on 38 or 40 button boxes as fair game ...

Chris

Hi All I am thinking of changeing some keys on my C/G anglo to aid playing in D, the first one I wish to consider is the low A pull on the bottom of the G row .I would like to change this to a low D to give me an (ump) for the pull D cord (pa).Can any one tell me a disadvantage to this. I use my anglo for session playing (Irish Style) and left and right hand song accompaniment (English style ) Bob

I understand what you are talking about. That low D is very useful if you are playing bass notes and I've altered two of my boxes to get it. I do not play much ITM so perhaps my needs are not the same as yours. Why give up the low A? That's a bass note I use often. Instead, I've sacrificed a note I almost never use on the left hand. On my 30 button C/G the one I've made the low D is the second from the bottom button pull in the left hand far accidental row. I bet that on your instrument that's a C#? The way I play, I'm melody on the right and harmony on the left, that C# almost never gets used, so making it a low D is great for me.

Ah, sorry. I get you now. I thought you wanted a stereo D effect like with the normal A's and G's on the left hand side. Yeah a low low D would be cool alright, as long as you could (a) source a reed and (B) get it to fit.

Again, it's not something I'd do, I'd miss the low A too much both for both chords and melody. But, it's your concertina - knock yourself out. :)

I understand what you are talking about. That low D is very useful if you are playing bass notes and I've altered two of my boxes to get it. I do not play much ITM so perhaps my needs are not the same as yours. Why give up the low A? That's a bass note I use often. Instead, I've sacrificed a note I almost never use on the left hand. On my 30 button C/G the one I've made the low D is the second from the bottom button pull in the left hand far accidental row. I bet that on your instrument that's a C#? The way I play, I'm melody on the right and harmony on the left, that C# almost never gets used, so making it a low D is great for me.

on mine the second button on the pull is a Bb. \

i too have often wanted that D. i use the A a lot, though. for melody, i use the A on the third button push, but for chords i use both.

Seriously though keep the old reed,if you want to sell the instrument,youhavent devalued the instrument or made it less saleable,you can just pop the old reed and shoe back.

Fair comment. Do what you like, so long as its easily reversible.

Chris

Don't do it. I have a bass D on this button and although it's nice for chords, I sorely miss the low A which is actually used in tunes quite frequently. I would rather have the bass D in the reed currently occupied by the low F (last button in the accidental row).