What Other Hobbies Do You Have

Sharron

Having earlier today bought (in an eBay auction) a Saltarelle melodeon, it seems I now have acquired something else with which to fill my time. Oh dear...

Chris

Let me know how you get on with it. I very nearly bid for it myself, wouldn't it have been fun bidding against each other?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is NEVER enough time for music, especially when playing with friends.

When that's not happening, I'm

Working at my craft business

Sailing (a.k.a. working on our boat)

Sculling

Motorcycling (Any other Motorcycle Saftey Instructors out there - I just sold one of my boxes to another fellow instructor)

Flying

Volunteering Online for Mystic Seaport

Spending too much time online

Family, friends and a full-time job fit in there somewhere.

I tried a few months ago to pick "two hobbies" and focus on them, it worked for a week or two and then I was back doing what I was in the mood for.

Never enough time to fit it all in - but I keep trying!

1) Building F-5 mandolins, guitars, fiddles, and furniture

2) Trying to find time to practice the instrument collection:

Fiddle, viola, mandolin, banjolin, concertina, B/C accordion, guitar, bass, bouzouki, uke, puerto rican cuatro (it has 10 strings, why is it called a cuatro?), and other assorted oddball instruments.

3) Being the sound and recording man for our band.

4) trying to manage 3 little dogs and a grey parrot with a bigger vocabulary than me. The parrot loves to join in band rehearsals, imitating the instruments. When we banish him for failure to keep proper time and key, he sulks for days.

Used to play on a traveling tennis team, but gave it up due to demolished ankles and shoulder.

A mile wide and an inch deep, that's me.

Ummmmmmmmmm ...

Concertina, brass band, wind trios, singing

Reading, too much internet

A bit of diy

Two local committees

Two cats and a snake (though the snake isn't exactly demanding ...)

Two jobs (carer at an old folks' home, and translator)

Too much travel to see the boyfriend (not too much seeing him, though)

Too little travel to exotic places (preferably Central or Eastern Europe/Central Asia)

I'm afraid I've given the gardening to a gardener (a frightful extravagance, but I'm sick of dreaming about how it could be ...)

:blink:

Samantha

(edited to close the brackets ...................... )

Edited by Samantha

Playing music ; guitars, bass, bouzouki, english concertina, banjo, mandolin, bodrhan; in barn-dance band, irishy sessions, acoustic sessions, folk clubs. Sometimes acommp by Mother-of-my-children on flute, whistle, dulcimer,jews harp, washboard.

Building/craftwork; instruments (very slowly - last was teenage daughters electric guitar two years ago ), model boats ( very slowly - big project got banished to the cellar by Mother-of-my-children and is now languishing unfinished -sailing model of New England whaling barque - ne'er got over Moby Dick ). D-I-Y just as slowly, much to disgust of M-o-m-c, bathroom still not re-tiled.

Internet ( you'll go blind ), do you realise the more forums you are on the less you can contribute to each ? Sorry, Patrick O'Brian, haven't been there for a bit.

Books ( will be your ruin said my mother ). Flat/apartment now full to brim with non-matching shop-soiled Ikea bookshelves laden with volumes. North London slowly sinking into subsoils as a result.

Tv/film - now amalgamated with job. as part-time extra/background artist/walk-on.

NOT working full-time - this can take up a lot of time in itself.

GP

• 2 weeks later...

Jim,

Long delay, I've been on vacation.

Our Grey is hand raised, 14 months old and fearfully smart. He almost always associates phrases correctly, even anticipates things that are about to happen. For instance, if I go to the refrigerator, he does a perfect imitation of a soda can opening, at 7:15 every morning he starts saying "bye bye, be good" because he knows that's when I leave for work. But he doesn't do it on weekends. How does he know what day it is? He orders the dogs around and chastizes them and he LOVES to join in with the band during rehearsals. He knows and asks for many different kinds of food and if you give him something other than what he demands, (different things on different days) he usually tosses it. I think there's a slight chance he may be spoiled.

Great phrase..."mile wide and an inch deep" !!!

That used to be me... melodeons, guitar, mando, kayaking and building same

Musical instrument construction... euro motorcycle collecting and restoration (53 bought and sold so far...cars... I have owned 107 along the way....down to five normal cars..bicycles.. road bikes and mtn bikes.. mostly road.. still have 3

Geology archaeology.. exploration , amateur mining..travel.. reading non fiction

Now I am an inch wide and a mile deep

I have 11.5 acres (just sold 3.6 down the road) spend most of my free time

keeping stuff together if it isnt a busted pump its a downed fence or a tree fell on the barn

MY jobby is my hobby now

I Make traditional painted furniture folk art decoys and signs ...70 plus hours a week and the rest of the daylight hours go to the "farmette"...

I still build the occasional instrument.. square necked reso last year.. likely a guitar this year

I listen to music more than I play....sad but true.... may step up to another concertina this year....might try English again....

• 1 year later...
My primary hobby/passion isn't music related, it's bicycling. I'm mostly a mountain biker, but I ride road bikes too. This is the primary reason I don't devote as much time as I should to concertina. I used to race, and even won sometimes, but most of my riding is by myself in the woods. Most of the time I ride a singlespeed (just one gear) mountain bike, and never use clipless pedals or suspension forks/frames. My bike has no really new technology and in fact one almost exactly like it could have been built before my concertina was made in 1935.

I ride road bikes, and race (Time Trials) generally using single sprocket "fixed wheel". It's great to be able to beat some of the "youngsters" (under 40!), but then some guys in their 60's can still beat me. I've ridden against ex-pro riders and top semi-pros; then the difference in class really does show, as their 30+ mph speed makes my 25+ mph look like walking pace as they "jog" past.

Peter.

I ride road bikes, and race (Time Trials) generally using single sprocket "fixed wheel". It's great to be able to beat some of the "youngsters" (under 40!), but then some guys in their 60's can still beat me. I've ridden against ex-pro riders and top semi-pros; then the difference in class really does show, as their 30+ mph speed makes my 25+ mph look like walking pace as they "jog" past.

Off topic, I know, but it reminds me of an anecdote from an American ex-Olympic cross country skier. There was one particular slope in one particular race where he said the differences in ability really made themselves evident. He (who came in 3rd) sidestepped up, the Swede (2nd place) went up with herringbone step, and the Finn (1st place) simply strode as if he were on level ground! :)

Your posting Peter reminds me of the occassion that my car had to go in to a special Garage for repair that was not nearby."How do I get back", I thought,I know I will take my wifes Moulton fold up bycycle the exercise will do me good.The first part of the cycling ride I enjoyed and bought back a lot of my memories of cycling and I did nearly join a cycling club.As I was plodding along on the bike a little old lady with a sit up and beg bycycle with a basket on the front,with her shopping in it,went past me as if I was standing still.Not to be outdone I chased after her, but sadly she was off into the distance.All this effort told in the end because on reaching a roundabout I had to stop,my legs gave way and I fell off.

The moral to this story is never chase after old ladies they can go faster than you.

Al

Edited by Alan Day

My first post here! I'm waiting for my concertina to arrive after an Ebay win.

From reading the posts here, it sounds like many/most of you are in the UK; I'm in the States.

My current hobbies:

keyboard: resurrected after many years' hiatus from piano; playing blues, ragtime, tangos, cajun, classical, etc. etc. I have a Yamaha DGX305 that I like very much.

jewelry: beaded necklaces and earrings

birds: 3 cockatiels, 1 parrotlet whose feather picking problem I'm constantly looking for a solution for

drawing: only once a week with a friend--we go to a coffeehouse or the art museum and sketch unsuspecting victims, rather poorly on my part but it's fun

literacy tutoring: but I'm stopping this after my first 2 students made more money than I do and I'm not enjoying it much; when I get better musically I think I may channel my volunteer energies to playing in hospices and nursing homes

reading: magazines, novels, general interest non-fiction

celiac disease and food intolerance: learning about these, adjusting diet to feel better

dvd's and favorite shows on tv

want to learn: contradancing and maybe harmonica and start playing with other people

Nice topic! What a great versatile group there is here.

Current hobbies include:

Playing/learning concertina, fiddle, mandolin and guitar with a little home studio recording in the mix and helping my sons with their musical adventures. I also enjoy playing for ceili dances and contradances

Amature Radio Operator; enjoy long distance contacts within the states and with other countries while commuting back and forth to work.

Cooking for the family, my wife likes everything I cook, at least that is what she says.

Future hobbies for retirement include woodworking with the all the hardwoods I have stacked and stored, model building with the 60+ unbuilt vintage plastic models in storage and work on the 50,000 or so pre 1970 U.S. and worldwide stamps.

I wonder if Wim Wakker could make a moble midi concertina for commuters that would fit on the steering wheel. Why waste time sitting in traffic when you could be working on your hobby