Lovely Triumph

Anglo-Irishman

John,

Looks like you're out of luck then - sold to aother John (in Australia) for US $1,725.00... :rolleyes:

Stephen,

Ah, well! So much for buying strategy!

If I (or someone else) had bid the higher starting price last time round, when there were no other bidders, I (he/she) would have got it cheaper ...

I'd better get around to selling my Bandoneon, wife, soul, what have you, to have the ready cash for the next one that comes around!

:lol:

Cheers,

John

John,

Looks like you're out of luck then - sold to aother John (in Australia) for US $1,725.00... :rolleyes:

Stephen,

Ah, well! So much for buying strategy!

If I (or someone else) had bid the higher starting price last time round, when there were no other bidders, I (he/she) would have got it cheaper ...

I'd better get around to selling my Bandoneon, wife, soul, what have you, to have the ready cash for the next one that comes around!

:lol:

Cheers,

John

and there WILL be more - especially when the builders start to see there really is an active market for Crane style duets.

and there WILL be more - especially when the builders start to see there really is an active market for Crane style duets.

Now there's a thought ...

Next time I'm up north with my wife's relatives in Bonn - not that far from Siegen, where Jürgen Süttner has his workshop - I could drop by, show him a Crane layout, and ask him if he could make me one. I'd cite you as a market-research authority, of course. Maybe I could get his prototype cheap! :lol:

Seriously, though: if you've got the production set up to make reed-pans for anglos (low reeds left, high reeds right) and ECs (24 buttons a side), all you'd have to do would be to drill a different pattern of button holes and reposition the action posts to get a Crane.

Now, where do I have Jürgen's telephone number? ... :rolleyes:

Cheers,

John

Next time I'm up north with my wife's relatives in Bonn - not that far from Siegen, where Jürgen Süttner has his workshop - I could drop by, show him a Crane layout, and ask him if he could make me one. I'd cite you as a market-research authority, of course. Maybe I could get his prototype cheap!

Seriously, though: if you've got the production set up to make reed-pans for anglos (low reeds left, high reeds right) and ECs (24 buttons a side), all you'd have to do would be to drill a different pattern of button holes and reposition the action posts to get a Crane.

I know this part of the thread is good natured daydreaming but I need to briefly point out the reality of concertina making. It is not a matter of making a five row end, or even a five row action pan but the lever layout and positioning of reeds in a pan have to be coordinated. This is not a matter of slightly retooling; this is redesiqn and execution from the bottom up.

I have recently joined Carroll Concertinas and I have to marvel at the dedication, investment and incredible problem solving that goes into making a quality concertina. My hat is off and I offer my most reverent bow to all the makers out there.

To make a quality Crane system instrument would cost as much or more (less potential volume of sales) than making anglos or englishes.

So while it may be nice to daydream about a Carroll or Suttner Crane the math doesn't hold up. I'm sure Chris Algar of Barleycorn Concertinas could eventually come up with TWO quality vintage Cranes for your $6000.

Now, if you would like to dream in Chinese about an instrument of much less quality with accordion reeds but costing less.... And hurry! before the trade unions organize.

Greg

To make a quality Crane system instrument would cost as much or more (less potential volume of sales) than making anglos or englishes.

Like anything in manufacturing, the first "one off" is the most expensive , in terms of research. With examples of the product already around, I don't see it costing more - equal to the price of a 48K English, that I can see.

Yes, you will have to do some re-thinkign and make new templates, design and bend your action to fit the new shape, but is that really such a big deal? If you know how to make action for an English, making it for a Duet should be no more challanging. and once you have the blueprint, its just another box.

Lachenal, with less technology than we have, was able to do it...

and BTW, if you send the Chinese blueprints they can make anything: theres no reason why Chinese manufacturers couldn't make concertinas the way Western builders make them, they would just have to charge more than for thier regular stock.

I believe the Rochelles were contracted out, could happen for Duets as well, if ever there were enough people interested.