Beginner On Anglo, Should I Get English?

RustyH

Be careful! It's addicting. There is a support group for that sort of thing. :wacko:

My name is Stephen and I am a concertinaholic. :unsure:

:lol:

Actually we knew.

I'm starting to show the awful signs; I bought another duet, not because I have any sort of player's excuse, but because I thought it was 'interesting', 'unusual', 'a bargain' etc. I'm still trying to work out how to explain to Sally before the cheque clears and she notices.

Is there no relief, Doctor?

(I'm waiting until it's been handed over before doing a post about it.)

Even I thought the HH was cute; I can quite understand buying that.

My questions are these. Should I bother continuing on this quest, as I'm a beginner, learning on an Anglo, would it be too much to also try to learn an English? I know it's buyer beware, and I'm in early stages, is this a fair ball park price? I am attracted to the affordability, if it's in pretty fair working order, and would consider having it looked at and reconditioned if the work was minor (affordable).

If you have been playing anglo you may find it difficult (at first) to get out of the push-pull habit for each note, but there are many players who play more than one system quite well.

The english has some interesting and logical symmetry, I myself couldn't get the swing of alternating scales back and forth from side to side, others thrive on it and make some great music.

as for me I am continuing my learning of "Chariots of Fire" on my Crane (which I recommend for anglo refugees), hoping to play it with my friend a conga player at an upcoming company BBQ, though we lost our fiddler so now I have to come up with a third player.

Be careful! It's addicting. There is a support group for that sort of thing. :wacko:

My name is Stephen and I am a concertinaholic. :unsure:

:lol:

Actually we knew.

Even I thought the HH was cute; I can quite understand buying that.

Dirge,

Thanks for the sympathy and support - and I'm sorry to hear that you're showing symptoms too. :o

I was tempted by that Harley the first time it was listed, and couldn't restrain myself when it came up again. :rolleyes: It seems to be a very nice example of the later style of Harley and will make an interesting comparison with the early-style one I already have - which wears its German origins much more on its sleeve.

I'm starting to show the awful signs; I bought another duet, not because I have any sort of player's excuse, but because I thought it was 'interesting', 'unusual', 'a bargain' etc. I'm still trying to work out how to explain to Sally before the cheque clears and she notices.

Is there no relief, Doctor?

(I'm waiting until it's been handed over before doing a post about it.)

It wasn't in Bury St. Edmonds by any chance? ;)

My apologies...I merged the two threads, Rusty, and didn't stop when I should have. I deleted one of your duplicate intial posts...Boom, the photos you attached disappeared. I'm not sure where they are. I have to go back to work in a few minutes; I'm teaching a summer intensive course and don't have much time to look right now. If you want to reattach them, try an edit; if you get grief about file space let me know and I'll see what I can do. Just goes to show you that you're better off doing it right your self so the dumb administrator doesn't try to fix it.

Ken Coles

Stephen..Dirge.....you guys really, really scare me....

Hooves

I feel more confident today that I'll be able to adapt to both, it's just getting the old brain to muscle memory my digits, and aquire some music reading skills and understanding.

From my wife's sheet music I worked out button tablature (hope that's the right term) to 'Margaret's Waltz' (Aly Bain) until 4am this morning. Played in 'A' major, I had no scale layout to go by in all my tutors, so I stuffed in 'Finale Print Music' what I thought were all the right buttons. Playing it sounded weird in places, so I realized I had to then go in and arrange for all the F#'s (sorry, new to all this music writing stuff, bare with me), big improvement!

Then, this afternoon I came out here to the camper (on my p.u. truck, it's my portable office that I take to work), and opened the file. I have just finished mapping alternate keying which makes the fingering waayyyy more logical, so now I'm experiencing my first real cross row exercise, and it's easier than I thought..... maybe more efficient would be a better description.

I'm working on this by myself because I want to surprise my wife with it this weekend, hopefully I'll be able to keep up...

Stephen..Dirge.....you guys really, really scare me....

Oh, don't worry 'bout me, I just collect early ones to learn about the history of them (a complicated subject) and write about it, whilst I'm delighted to now have Alf Edwards' English as my playing instrument - it has the "definitive" sound for us old folkies!

It's that Dirge fella I'd be worried about... :unsure:

I wondered why I couldn't post there for awhile ...

Me too, I was trying to post at the time and had to open a fresh window to do so.

[

as for me I am continuing my learning of "Chariots of Fire" on my Crane (which I recommend for anglo refugees) ...

Hooves,

It's precisely this kind of remark that sends me surfing through Crane duet websites, used-dealers' homepages, button layouts and even the Salvation Army internert presence. And makes me realise that the Anglo is too tied to a few keys, and I need more. And that, with only an Anglo and a Bandoneon to call my own, I'm missing out on polyphonic capability. (And apart from that, what are two free-reed instruments? I've got 4 banjos of 2 different types, and 5 different autoharps. Got to redress the balance somehow ... :huh: )

In short, remarks like this exacerbate all the familiar symptoms of the addiction ... :o

Cheers,

John

[

as for me I am continuing my learning of "Chariots of Fire" on my Crane (which I recommend for anglo refugees) ...

Hooves,

It's precisely this kind of remark that sends me surfing through Crane duet websites, used-dealers' homepages, button layouts and even the Salvation Army internert presence. And makes me realise that the Anglo is too tied to a few keys, and I need more. And that, with only an Anglo and a Bandoneon to call my own, I'm missing out on polyphonic capability. (And apart from that, what are two free-reed instruments? I've got 4 banjos of 2 different types, and 5 different autoharps. Got to redress the balance somehow ... :huh: )

In short, remarks like this exacerbate all the familiar symptoms of the addiction ... :o

Cheers,

John

Well there was one on Ebay the other day; why not just do it? Duets are good.

[

Hooves,

Cheers,

John

Mine cost a small fortune, but its wonderful, honestly I don't see why they don't make more.

I did not mean to de-rail this thread! ranting about my beutifully restored, charming and endearing, flexible, playable, remarkable and utterly marvelous Crane duet.

Note: I only have a Lachenal - perchance to dream -

oh ye concertina gods, to ponder the Flight of the Valkyries, my hooves bedecked in winged sandals, Icarus with forlorn and frantic digits plumetting below, Freja, naked angel of the north, your enchantment draws me nearer.

Dirge,

I know. I've worked out an excuse for overlooking those duets: "If my overdraft had been that much less than it was at the time, I'd have bid for it!"

<_<

Theoretically, you duet guys have got me converted.

Cheers,

John

Dirge,

I know. I've worked out an excuse for overlooking those duets: "If my overdraft had been that much less than it was at the time, I'd have bid for it!"

<_<

Theoretically, you duet guys have got me converted.

Cheers,

John

Ah, but then you'll deal with having all notes available at all times, having all the keys with ease, and lots of written music to convert. You don't have to deal with your fingers, tied in a knot, dilemma of what part of score to play and what not, having to move low notes up and upper notes down...

But then, Dirge, are you beutifully restored, charming and endearing, flexible, plyable, remarkable and utterly marvelous?

Do you fit in your Duet company?

That's the biggest problem. I can't allow for my instrument, a speachless machine, to be better than me in every aspect. I don't want to wake up one morning in a padded case, played every day, feel screwdriver in my sacred cavities and be helpless against the marvelous, playable, and utterly powerful overlord.

• 12 years later...
On 6/11/2008 at 11:10 PM, Hooves said:

as for me I am continuing my learning of "Chariots of Fire" on my Crane (which I recommend for anglo refugees), hoping to play it with my friend a conga player at an upcoming company BBQ, though we lost our fiddler so now I have to come up with a third player.

Me too:

• Like 1