History Of Concertina Playing In Ireland

Dan Worrall

Hi Dan

My Scates 'english' has a label with 28, Westmoreland Street Dublin. Whether it was made by him or is a rebadged something else I don't know - my interest started with the question 'who actually made my concertina!'

Bear in mind that there are concertinas about with addresses from earlier than 1850- see the one that Stephen mention (85 Renshaw Street) there is also one with 46, Grafton Street about (early 1850)

chris

Chris,

Kinda sounds like he sold a few instruments at 28 Westmoreland (my original premise)....but I think I'll stick with 'uncertain' on that for now...more of a consensus stance. It is to be hoped that you will come out soon with your Scates opus anyway....happy to be set straight then! :)

Cheers,

Dan

My Scates 'english' has a label with 28, Westmoreland Street Dublin ... there are concertinas about with addresses from earlier than 1850- see the one that Stephen mention (85 Renshaw Street) there is also one with 46, Grafton Street about (early 1850)

Yes, there are some incredibly rare labels on Scates instruments from that 1849-52 period, including my "Joseph Scates ... Sold by Marcus Moses" one too. You'd wonder if it was worth his while getting the printing blocks made, he was only at those addresses for such a short time... :unsure:

I guess what it boils down to is that he was using whatever channels he could to sell concertinas, and not having a shop of his own (in Ireland) at the time, he sold through both Marcus Moses and John Bray, as well as to his pupils with the address of wherever he was teaching. My suspicion would be that he sank most of his capital into purchasing the shop in Doncaster, and needed to sell it in order to finance his College Green one.

So does anybody have a Scates concertina with a "High Street, Doncaster" label? :huh:

Hi Stephen

Shame Scates didn't follow Wheatstones example and leave some handy ledgers for us to find ;)

He must have had a deal with a printer (or an early 'John Bull' printing set). I haven't heard of any labels other than already discussed in the past on c.net or available at the Horniman, but I haven't been looking very long.

Still, things do have a habit of appearing out of the woodwork - just have to keep hoping.

chris