Concertina In Bath Abbey (uk)

Whereabouts in the abbey did you spot that, Danny? I'd like to have a look next time I'm in Bath.

I must say it's reassuring to know the angels play anglos.

Chris

Edited to add PS: Was it not Pope Gregory who said, "Non Angli sed Angeli", which of course translates as, "Not anglos, but angels!"

Edited by Chris Timson

I used to play the piano accordion and one day that cartoon arrived in the post, and I never did find which of my rotten friends sent it.

Mind you, given the choice offered, I'd take hell every time. You can have a good party with a PA.

See photo here.

Can't say I like the carvings myself, but it is a concertina so I feel I should report it!

Nice selection of photos, Danny. Shame that this is the only one featuring a concertina!

Regards,

Peter.

I used to play the piano accordion and one day that cartoon arrived in the post, and I never did find which of my rotten friends sent it.

Mind you, given the choice offered, I'd take hell every time. You can have a good party with a PA.

Now this is hell for me! (not a great lover of PA's, although the alternative of only harps is not very attractive either...)

post-961-1212677972_thumb.jpg

Edited by chiton1

• 1 month later...
See photo here.

Can't say I like the carvings myself, but it is a concertina so I feel I should report it!

I've just been reading the Summer 2008 issue of English Dance & Song (cover photo includes Roger Edwards with Jeffries Anglo), and seen an article, on page 5, relating to the new carvings in Bath Abbey.

Quoting extracts from the article:

"Paul Fletcher, sculptor and long-time New Scorpion Band fan, received a commission to provide twelve angels for the new choir stalls in Bath Abbey. All the band members had previously sat for Paul in his studio, and he decided to base the angels on them. The figures were made in plaster of Paris, and then woodcarver Lawrence Beckford carved exact copies in lime wood."

" ... the concertina playing angel is Tim Laycock."

" ... the concertina playing angel is Tim Laycock."

In that case, the angel is playing a Crane Duet, rather than an anglo.

Was it not Pope Gregory who said, "Non Angli sed Angeli", which of course translates as, "Not anglos, but angels!"

I guess he should have said "Non Angli sed Polyspasta" in that case, which of course translates as "Not Anglos, but Cranes!" :blink:

But that would have spoilt it... :huh:

Edited to correct Latin spelling (I thought I'd stopped doing that 40 years ago!) Mea culpa... :(

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Now this is hell for me! (not a great lover of PA's, although the alternative of only harps is not very attractive either...)

Accordion_Hell.jpg

:lol: Golly, there's some seriously expensive "firepower" in that photo, including no less than nine Morinos - think of all the Æolas they could have bought for that money... :blink:

Edited by Stephen Chambers

I guess he should have said "Non Angli sed Polypasta" in that case, which of course translates as "Not Anglos, but Cranes!"

I thought only Italian instruments were built of Polypasta? :rolleyes:

If you mean Cranes as in birds, the correct term is Gruidae

But let's not get technical!

Andrew

I guess he should have said "Non Angli sed Polyspasta" in that case, which of course translates as "Not Anglos, but Cranes!"

If you mean Cranes as in birds, the correct term is Gruidae

Andrew,

Nope, I don't. Can you drive them? :huh:

But let's not get technical!

Oh, why not? I'm talking about Ancient Roman cranes here, like the reconstructed 10.4m high Roman Polyspaston at Bonn, Germany.