Needing Metal Corner Covers

I have a Hohner D40 and I like the way it plays and looks but the corners on the ends have no protection and a couple have already got banged up. (I heceived it that way)

Does anyone know where I can get metal corner brackets to cover the corners?

I have a Hohner D40 and I like the way it plays and looks but the corners on the ends have no protection and a couple have already got banged up. (I heceived it that way)

Does anyone know where I can get metal corner brackets to cover the corners?

Right-angled corners are available in DIY stores, but the 60° of a hexagon are a problem.

I know how my father would have solved it: tinplate! This is the cheapest material there is, because you can get it from any food tin or metal cannister.

Draw the shape you need on an adhesive label, stick it to the flattened tinplate, and cut it out with tin shears. You can bend the edges back with a pair of pliers and a light hammer (though a mechanic's vice is better, if you have one). File everything to remove sharp edges and corners, drill a couple of small holes in each bracket, and nail them on with short, fine nails (the corner plates on my old Klingenthal concertina were nailed in place, too.)

Tinplate is iron, but it's plated with zinc (hence, probably, the name ;)), so it doesn't rust or tarnish easily. It's very workable - I've used it a lot in making ship models and toys.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

John

I just finished making my own double concertina case. I got the metal parts from www.FOXDIY.com. I bought a handle, two locks, and eight corners for about £10 including postage within the UK. They only ship within the UK. A friend carried the parts over to Ireland for me. If you look around the net for luggage parts, suitcase hardware, or something along those lines, you should be able to find something.

You know what, I figured I would have to make the things myself or redo some kind of corner bracket to make it fit. I was just hoping is all. Oh well, life can be a bitch, just glade I did not marry one :rolleyes:

Martin Luther King found that there was a point at which Christian faith required speaking the truth and not only talking about justice but naming the sources of injustice. People cannot fight "injustice", they have to fight those whose actions cause or maintain it -- not mythical terrorists or Sadam Hussein, but the upper 5 percent of the US that controls most of the country’s wealth.

cocsflute, I live here in the USA, I am a Amarican. Its a sad world we live in to see those who live outside the US speaking more truths then the ones who live here. 5% you say! I've always said that 10% of the Americans have 90% of the money. Could it be 5%/95%? Hummmm, let me look in my wallet. Yup, very possibe

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Bear, (also my daughter's nickname) :D

Before you go badmouthing your home country on an international forum, you might want to get your facts straight...or do some world travelling and talk to people in other countries...really see how the rest of the world lives and understand what you have here.

If we're so poverty stricken, and the rich have all the money, and everyone here lies, why do the poor and ambitious folks from most of the rest of the world keep trying to get here? Why are poor people here generally overweight, and have cars, heaters, air conditioners, and at least a basic education? The "poor" in America are still better off than the "middle class" in much of the rest of the world.

I've lived overseas a lot, and travelled more. Try it. :rolleyes:

Might be wiser to stick to music and concertinas and avoid flame wars about topics where you only seem to know what your friends tell you.

Paperpunchr

It's unfortunate that a simple request has been degraded to angry words. This is not the forum to debate such things. There does seem to be a touch of hypersensitivity going on here, however. Bear is perhaps one of the few(?) who could make such claims as he is from your country, and not an outsider as I, and many of the forum are. I would not make such assertions, myself, as this is not the place, and I am happy to be Canadian, and not to be interfering in others' squabbles. By the way, I did hear (and not from friends, but from the media) that there is a greater difference in wealth between the rich and the not rich not seen since before the depression, with 5% of the population controlling 90% of the wealth ( or numbers very close to that). So Bear's friends seem not to be so very far off, with regards to the wealth comment.

The real problem in the US is the growing difference between Rich and Super Rich.

Sticking to the topics, Tin Can metal seems like a great idea, but are you sure you can't order right angle brackets and then just unbend it to 60%? They will have no sharp edges and predrilled round holes. and they will look a bit shinier, I think.

Anyways, a friend of mine just returned from Laos, where he went from China, where he went from Vietnam, where he went from Cambodia, where he went from Thailand.

Even in China, he says, there is no medical insurance for most people. Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia are yet to arrive, where such thing is even needed.

Having a car? You have to have road for it.

Hey Bear, (also my daughter's nickname) :D

Before you go badmouthing your home country on an international forum, you might want to get your facts straight...or do some world travelling and talk to people in other countries...really see how the rest of the world lives and understand what you have here.

If we're so poverty stricken, and the rich have all the money, and everyone here lies, why do the poor and ambitious folks from most of the rest of the world keep trying to get here? Why are poor people here generally overweight, and have cars, heaters, air conditioners, and at least a basic education? The "poor" in America are still better off than the "middle class" in much of the rest of the world.

I've lived overseas a lot, and traveled more. Try it. :rolleyes:

Might be wiser to stick to music and concertinas and avoid flame wars about topics where you only seem to know what your friends tell you.

Paperpunchr

The others are right, this forum board is not the place to talk about things like this. However I need to say a few things here about the one called "bear". Oh ya, that's me :rolleyes:

Anyway I lived in Germany for two years and traveled about quite a bit including the UK. I also lived for several years in Iran and yes I did quite a lot of traveling around the middle east. I also spent a few years in Mongolia and again did a lot of travel around the far east as well. Oh ya I also spent some time in South America.

I have tried it, and I like it. But it seems Paperpunchr you need to do a little traveling around the USA a bit. If you would like I'll show you 1,000's of people who live right here in the USA that don't own a car, or a house, or anything else including food to feed their children. That's right, we have folks here that are dirt poor. As a mater of fact they are even poorer then that because they don't own any land so we cannot call them "dirt poor".

I'm 63 years old and have spent half my life traveling and living in places around the world. I cannot stick to music and concertinas because I cannot read music. And I'm a rookie when it comes to the concertina. I just got myself one and am trying to teach myself how to play it. I have very little musical talent but because I have emphysema real bad my doctor told me I should try to learn to play a wind instrument to give my lungs a workout. Not having much money (I'm one of the 95%...LOL) I bought myself a couple of harmonicas. Learned a couple dozen songs on them and really enjoy playing music (at least when people are not throwing rocks at me for making noise.......LOL) but my lungs are starting to give out on me. Being the Anglo concertina is tuned just like a diatonic harmonica it seemed like the right thing for me to learn to play.

Anyway, lets us be friends and leave the boards here to concertinas and music and leave the rest for the rest of the world to fuss over. OK? Fine. Big ole HUG from the bear to every one and a bigger HUG for Paperpunchr.

PS: Paperpunchr, I forgot to tell you I also lived in Green Mountain Falls, half way up the mountain just west of you. Small world we live in huh.......LOL

Edited by bear

Away from politics, now. My comment is that bellows should not have metal corners. Many years ago, I commented in the "Concertina & Squeezebox" magazine that putting metal corners on a concertina is, "like putting bumpers on a violin." Using nails to attach them puts holes into the bellows which eventually become a source of leaks. I would suggest a very thin leather strip to cover the ridges of the folds all the way around, or at least leather patches on the corner. They will probably outlast your bellows.

Frank, Bear wanted metal bumpers because "the corners on the ends have no protection."

I didn't get the idea that he wanted to put metal on the bellows corners.

But I don't see why the end corners should get banged up.

I've been playing my concertina going on twenty years now - and no dings to the corners.

Is Bay City that rough? Or have you no case for it?

I've been playing my concertina going on twenty years now - and no dings to the corners.

Is Bay City that rough? Or have you no case for it?

Neither, I'm just a clutch at times.......LOL

But I have changed my mind. When I said I liked the Hohner D-40 I was going by the looks and remembering how my Hohner concertina that I owned years ago (it was red in color) played. I had not actually played the D-40 when I posted above.

I have had the chance to do so now and wish I had never seen a D-40. I had some good memories about my old Hohner (made in Germany) and now thats all ruined. The D-40 came to me brand new with two bad keys, and what looks like plastic bellows with only half the bellows volume that my old Hohner got. In other words this "made in China" concertina is nothing but a piece of junk.

Anyone want to buy a brand new piece of junk? :blink:

In other words this "made in China" concertina is nothing but a piece of junk.

Told you so. You wouldn't listen.

Now you're stuck with it. Do you have any chance of sending it back?

I'd say forget all about it and buy a Rochelle from Bob Tedrow or the Button Box. I had to do lots of work on my Jack to set it up properly. I'd suggest not buying directly from Concertina Connection, I've seen those in shop and wasn't very impressed. Still better than Stagis, and with potential, but this potential must be revealed by the shop before selling. You need $200 for used one.

Now if such simple advice passed by you without you noticing, how much of your political views can be trustworthy?

If you can't return your Hohner, go over it.

You can tighten it up to use less air, set the reeds for better responce, check if all the valves are flat, and if not, flatten them or replace, pour wax over all the seams, where the air can escape. Then it's a good idea to replace the pads' leather lining. It alone will make instrument tighter. You'll need wider leather wrist strap too.

All is pretty easily doable.

But then you need to tune those bad "buttons" either by yourself, or by sending it over.

Sending will cost you some $40, tuning another $50, and there is no guarantee it will last.

So you bought perfect piece of junk against the advice.

On the other hand, there were some members on this forum, who eagerly "supported" you. So much for "positivism". Will you guys, who advised Bear to go for Hohner, care to send him a refund?

I'd like to see that.

On the other hand, there were some members on this forum, who eagerly "supported" you. So much for "positivism". Will you guys, who advised Bear to go for Hohner, care to send him a refund?

I'd like to see that.

If enough of them send him one, maybe he will have enough to drive down to Frank's and get himself a nice concertina. Or at least put one on order.

Alan

I'd like to see that.

If enough of them send him one, maybe he will have enough to drive down to Frank's and get himself a nice concertina. Or at least put one on order.

Alan

Someone on SSI can actually save up for Edgley, if the priorities are there. It's not the matter of fingering or portabitlity, as was noted before. It's the sound. If the sound is sought after, then spending so much is justified. Otherwise there are other, less tricky instruments, why not banjo or guitar? Availability too, is a big issue.

I'd like to see that.

Alan

Someone on SSI can actually save up for Edgley, if the priorities are there. It's not the matter of fingering or portabitlity, as was noted before. It's the sound. If the sound is sought after, then spending so much is justified. Otherwise there are other, less tricky instruments, why not banjo or guitar? Availability too, is a big issue.

Yes, Mischa, I've worked out payment arrangements with several vendors over the years for better instruments. I was just making an ironic comment to yours. Though I don't see the guitar or the banjo as any less tricky then the concertina, but that is another issue.

Alan

Yes, Mischa, I've worked out payment arrangements with several vendors over the years for better instruments. I was just making an ironic comment to yours. Though I don't see the guitar or the banjo as any less tricky then the concertina, but that is another issue.

I meant instruments that are easy to see, to fix, to try, with less moving parts.

There is no need for irony, the guy is stuck with a junk, that some advised to buy. "I started with a junk, and look at me now" attitude is just like from that Monty Python skit.