East Clare Concertina: New Cd By Kate Mcnamara

Kate Mcnamara, a lovely young concertina player from Tulla, East Clare, is launching a new CD in a week or two in Tulla. Claire Keville plays two tracks from the CD in her Clare FM show for this week, up for download till next tuesday (this show is actually packed with lovely concertina stuff), and they're beautiful.....I've gotten to hear Katie Mc several times in East Clare and her style is my favorite, i.e., spare ornamentation like Mary Mac or Packie Russell, but playing across the rows with a light slap triplet or roll here and there....gorgeous stuff...can't wait to get this, perhaps my dympna o'sullivan cd will get a break once in a while!

Edited by ceemonster

well, i predict it will almost certainly be available by june or july at custys. if it's not on their "top ten" page then in the "new releases" section, or just the inventory listings.

btw, my thread title did not mean to be the cd title. i don't know what that is. on clare fm, they just said they were playing tracks from a master of the upcoming cd, to be launched at the clare fleadh in tulla in early june. the tracks were really lovely, and i'm sure it will be at custys.

Edited by ceemonster

Kate is featured on Anglo International and actually went to the recording studio, at my request, with Mary her Tutor (no relation),when Mary was recording for the collection.

As soon as I heard her recordings there was no way she could not be included. A lovely style based on Mary's teaching, but with more ornamentation.

Al

well, i'm listening to the june 3 archived claire keville show on clare fm, which features a slew of wonderful music live in tulla from the opening of the clare fleadh there.

and according to kate, who plays lovely concertina sets on this show, this June release is titled, "Are You the Concertina Player?" since that is apparently what people ask her everywhere she goes.....

great show, packed with fantastic tulla music.....

I've gotten to hear Katie Mc several times in East Clare and her style is my favorite, i.e., spare ornamentation like Mary Mac or Packie Russell, but playing across the rows with a light slap triplet or roll here and there

I'm listening to her play right now and I wouldn't say her ornamentation is all that "sparse" really. She's also using the slap-roll at every opportunity, or at least everywhere that I use it anyway. It's definitely a departure from Mary Mac's style as far as that goes. Nice playing!

Did anyone happen to notice the hilarious Cowboy & Western advert where some cowgirl is moaning in a country twang about not going to the pub? It's hilarious to hear her making references to things like "craic" and on the last line she says "pain in the hole." The advert is promoting local pubs and encouraging people to frequent them. Are people in Clare not going out? Are the pubs desperate for business now?

i called her ornamentation "spare," not "sparse." and in terms of ornament-to-melody ratio, i find it as spare as mary mac's, sometimes, to my ear, even sparer. i sometimes hear kate doing less of those quiet little offbeat bass taps mary often does. (claire keville does these quite a bit, as does paul groff.) neither kate nor mary do bass chords, and bass double stops are also quite rare for both, in this spare style. as my post did note, in the melody, at roll or triplet opportunities where mary mac just does a slurry type triplet connecting two of the notes in the triplet with a little bellows shake, kate will indeed do a modern slap or maybe a dympna-ish roll, not sure. otherwise, the ornament-to-melody "ratio" aesthetic for the two is very similar. also characteristic of both players, treble cuts are few and far between, and they are executed quietly rather than with that percussive "snap" sound that is very popular for cuts in many quarters at present.....dympna o'sullvian, whose cd i am really enjoying, also has a lovely style i would call "spare" in terms of ornament-to-melody ratio, with very little going on the bass and very few and delicate treble cuts, and she, too, uses modern slaps or rolls at those long roll opps.

i must look for the cowgirl ad, ha.

pb, i am learning "humours of lissadell" on concertina right now, and i can play it with jack coen, and i can pretty much play it with joe ryan, but i'm not there with yours yet. it's the low notes in the "A" part.

Edited by ceemonster

I've gotten to hear Katie Mc several times in East Clare and her style is my favorite, i.e., spare ornamentation like Mary Mac or Packie Russell, but playing across the rows with a light slap triplet or roll here and there

I've sometimes heard her at the Thursday night sessions at Lena's in Feakle, though I don't go over there too often as it's a bit of a long drive from here. She's a lovely player.

The advert is promoting local pubs and encouraging people to frequent them. Are people in Clare not going out? Are the pubs desperate for business now?

People all over rural Ireland are not going out, and many pubs are desperate for business, in fact they're closing down all over the place. Only last night "The Dugout", one of the music pubs in Kilrush, closed down. There used to be a session there with Joe Searson and Anne Hayes every Friday night.

It's the same in East Clare - last year, when I was house-hunting, I realised (from different auctioneers websites) that three out of the four pubs in Feakle, including the famous music pubs "Pepper's" and "Lena's", were up for sale.

Mind you, we're also losing plenty of local post offices, shops and petrol stations too... :(

pb, i am learning "humours of lissadell" on concertina right now, and i can play it with jack coen, and i can pretty much play it with joe ryan, but i'm not there with yours yet. it's the low notes in the "A" part.

If you're talking about Jody's Heaven, that was pre-phantom button for me and I executed them differently. One of the advantages of the phantom button (slap-roll) is that I can now execute a tight 3-note triplet on any note on the left hand now... even with my wee finger or ring finger. Before I had to fabricate something less effective.

Have we met?

People all over rural Ireland are not going out, and many pubs are desperate for business, in fact they're closing down all over the place.

Why do you suppose this is; could it be the drinking and driving laws and the Breathalyzer, or the smoking ban... or both? Or is the price of drink too much. I did notice the whole round thing seemed to have changed last time I was over.

Guest Peter Laban
sheesh, i had no idea. the real estate prices have gone up and up and up, there, yet.....????

House prices have fallen considerably actually since the boom ended.

People have comfortable houses now so they don't need to go to pubs to stay warm, they can get safely pissed at home. That's one reason anyway.

the real estate prices have gone up and up and up, there, yet.....????

Yep, they shot up about four years ago. Unfortunately it was right around the time I moved down here from Dublin, if I'd done it one year earlier I could have got a much better deal. :(

But the boom is over and they've levelled off now.

People all over rural Ireland are not going out, and many pubs are desperate for business, in fact they're closing down all over the place.

Why do you suppose this is; could it be the drinking and driving laws and the Breathalyzer, or the smoking ban... or both? Or is the price of drink too much. I did notice the whole round thing seemed to have changed last time I was over.

A bit of all those things, but probably more the random breath-testing and the price of drink. Most people find the pubs are now pleasanter without the cigarette smoke.

But another factor is that, the way the licensing system works here, if a supermarket wants to sell alcohol they have to buy a pub license, so pub licenses can be sold for a substantial amount of money.

A bit of all those things, but probably more the random breath-testing and the price of drink. Most people find the pubs are now pleasanter without the cigarette smoke.

But another factor is that, the way the licensing system works here, if a supermarket wants to sell alcohol they have to buy a pub license, so pub licenses can be sold for a substantial amount of money.

So it's a combination of the price of drink and random Breathalyzer testing that's keeping punters at home, and the potential cashing in of their pub license that's prompting publicans to sell their pubs?

I read somewhere that the closing of the rural pubs is having a tragic effect on the older generation living in the area with an increase of suicides since there’s little to do and people are feeling more isolated and lonely. Is that true?

hi....i bought the "garden of butterflies" cd by mail order and i think it was several years ago. i also have the set-dance one which i purchased on cd baby simultaneously with "the good ear," concertina playing by ormonde waters in australia, all of which recordings i like very much.

i was very struck by the "all ages" ambience in gleeson's of coore. it is like "all colors," "all genders," "all creeds," "all sexual orientations"-----life is richer & more interesting when there is a mix.