Concertina Workshop In Florida Spring 2009

In February of 2007 we had Tim Collins as our concertina tutor at the Southeast Tionól. I am looking for preliminary interest for Feb or March 2009. I haven't made any commitments for an instructor for this event yet, but am working on it currently. So, anyone that might like to visit Florida for an Irish music weekend event in 2009 is welcome to chime in. I will put together a contact list, and follow up personally once details are firm.

Well, first off it is a big place. We have been doing our events in Gainesville Florida, and we do so for many reasons. Myself and the organizer both live here for starters. Secondly we have access to an amazing facility, and don't have to purchase any additional insurance for it's use. We have constantly added instruments and activities, but in general it follows the idea of arrive on a friday, have a meet and greet dinner, session to follow. Saturday morning and afternoon classes, Saturday a recital of faculty, with session to follow. Sunday a morning ( but not too early) class, and any still hanging out are welcomed to attend the Gainesville Sunday afternoon sessions at Brophy's Irish Pub. We used to hot the event in Orlando, which was easy on air travel, but very expensive to get a facility, a concert venue, etc....Each class breaks even for us at 12 to 15 participants, so an early assessment is needed. This event is financed by a few private individuals, myself included. Our only goals are for all participants to learn from the tutors, and enjoy the experience. If we get close to braking even we consider it a success. It is my hope to include concertina instruction again this year, and possibly a class fro sean nos dancing / and a set. We have an airport in town that is small but easy. It connects to Atlanta via Delta, or Charlotte via US Air/ United. We are an hour from Jacksonville International, 2 hours from Orlando International airports. We will post detailed maps and directions as times get closer. Believe me when I say a great time is had by all attending the event, whether instructor or student.

Hi Lawrence,

Being as I retired last August and am not that far away from you in western NC, put me on the list. I would like to learn more about the event, so if there is a website with any information about past events, I'd like to have a look at it if you can direct me accordingly.

Hope it all comes together well, and if needed I can chip in with an additional contribution for expenses.

Ross Schlabach

Michael, I don't think we will have an English instructor, but Tim was great with the English system player we had in attendance last time. There are many things that can be incorporated from Anglo to English. Henrik Müller on this forum does many "anglo" tricks while playing irish music on his English style concertina.

In February of 2007 we had Tim Collins as our concertina tutor at the Southeast Tionól. I am looking for preliminary interest for Feb or March 2009. I haven't made any commitments for an instructor for this event yet, but am working on it currently. So, anyone that might like to visit Florida for an Irish music weekend event in 2009 is welcome to chime in. I will put together a contact list, and follow up personally once details are firm.

I don't have any interest in attending, as MA and FL are far away - but if you're looking for an instructor, I'd suggest seeing if Paul Groff is available. He lives in Florida (I think the Miami area?) and has taught previously at a number of workshops and such. PM me if you want/need contact info.

-David