Unicycling Concertinists

Seeing that we have at least a trio of self-confessed unicyclists as members...

I used to be able to ride a unicycle (it's somewhere in my garage).

And I can almost play the concertina (and it's a Maccann).

So, . . . if can get the two together I might claim be in a set of one on this planet . . . .

. . . unless there are any other claiments?

I would be the other claimant. I ride long distance and cross country unicycle, and play concertina, melodeon and harmonica, although not all at once.

Like you, Mike, I also ride a unicycle and play the concertina, melodeon and harmonica, although not all at once... Maybe we could start an exclusive club for unicycling concertinists?

...and I just came across a 1936 newsreel clip of a young woman riding her unicycle through the streets of Paris, whilst playing her Edeophone :blink: , I thought I'd post a link to the website: http://www.britishpathe.com/product_display.php?searchword=unicycle+paris+accordion&Search.x=31&Search.y=31, where you can download it.

But please don't try this at home folks! :rolleyes:

Edited by Stephen Chambers

No help, but you did make me laugh.

I too own a unicycle, which I found out was a whole lot harder to ride that is looks.

I also juggle reasonably well, and always though about combining the two.

Now I play an Anglo, the possibilities are endless.

NNY

I also juggle reasonably well, and always though about combining the two.

Now I play an Anglo, the possibilities are endless.

In the spirit of passing on some of the accumulated wisdom of this forum to a new member: please don't try juggling anglos. It always ends in tears ...

Chris

Howdy:

Loved the video.

Even more loved was the description of the instrument as "the in and out"

Is that a frequently used term (for the concertina, that is!)

Have fun,

Perry Werner

In the spirit of passing on some of the accumulated wisdom of this forum to a new member: please don't try juggling anglos. It always ends in tears ...

Nor chainsaws, even though you may think it a bit of 'armless fun. :D I have seen it done with banjos, however. In the early 1900's, there was an act called The Howard Brothers and their speciality was juggling banjos and playing them at the same time. Amazing.

Chris

Loved ... the description of the instrument as "the in and out"

Is that a frequently used term (for the concertina, that is!)

Perry,

Ummm, probably about as frequently used as "a round and round" for a unicycle... ? dontknow.gif

Meanwhile, I hope she never used the Edeophone for a front wheel! pray.gif

I have seen it done with banjos, however. In the early 1900's, there was an act called The Howard Brothers and their speciality was juggling banjos and playing them at the same time. Amazing.

Gosh! I have to say, Chris, you're a lot older than you look! What's your secret?

Chris

I have seen it done with banjos, however. In the early 1900's, there was an act called The Howard Brothers and their speciality was juggling banjos and playing them at the same time. Amazing.

Gosh! I have to say, Chris, you're a lot older than you look! What's your secret?

Chris

You are too kind Chris. What's my secret? Umm, riding the unicycle. It's a great way of keeping fit.

Chris

Not long ago the Portland Oregonian flew a headline claiming that western Washington was a "hotbed of unicycle activity..."

Messers McCaskey, Weinstein, Allert, et al, is there something we should know?

Not long ago the Portland Oregonian flew a headline claiming that western Washington was a "hotbed of unicycle activity..."

Maybe they misunderstood, thinking that "recycling" was the plural of "unicycling"? :unsure:

western Washington [is] a "hotbed of unicycle activity..."

Messers McCaskey, Weinstein, Allert, et al, is there something we should know?

Could it be The Unicycling Konzertina Brothers? :blink:

(Look out, the Flying Karamazovs! ;) )

Edited by Stephen Chambers

I generally try to stay away from forums, where people communicate by "Wana", "Gona", "Woulda", "Sorta", "Yea, Brotha" etc. Unfortunately that Unicycle forum is one of them, another is Cajun Accordion forums, where dudes are so cool, they snow.

Nothing against those folks, just the mannerism places them outside of my immediate neighborhood.

My Motto - If you are a Geek - Be it.

QUOTE, Jim Lucas: "...Maybe they thought that recycling was the plural of unicycling..."

Typical pencil-necked, egg-sucking Portland Libral Geeks!

...And a hat tip to Mischa for his advice to same... Looks like they're taking you at your word. :blink:

QUOTE, Jim Lucas: "...Maybe they thought that recycling was the plural of unicycling..."

Typical pencil-necked, egg-sucking Portland Libral Geeks!

...And a hat tip to Mischa for his advice to same... Looks like they're taking you at your word. :blink:

I think English should be forbidden and replaced with Russian anywhere, where English is spotted. It's pretty sane idea, isn't it?

I didn't get the phraze. I know it's common, but just didn't get it. "Taking me at my words" probably means making me do what I suggest, but I didn't get the meaning in this case.