The Sheffield Horhpipe

Henk van Aalten

Hi friends

Inspired by the new word "Sheffle-boxers", invented by Jim Lucas in another thread at this forum, I found the Sheffield Hornpipe in the book "English, Welsh, Scottish & Irish Fiddle Tunes". According to this book, it should be played in D, but I recorded it in C. It is played only on the C row, so it is suited for the 20B Concertina. My brother Hans plays the guitar (thanks Hans ;) ).

The second half of the B-part is a nice excercise for its push-pull sequence.

You can find the tune at http://home.planet.nl/~aalte099/sound/Shef...ld_Hornpipe.mp3, it is an MP3 file of 1.1 MB and it is played on my Marcus G/C concertina.

I will try to upload the tune to the Tune-o-Tron, so the notes and the ABC files will be available.

Have fun and let me hear your comments and questions.

Henk

Hi Henk,

today finally IU found some time to listen Tune-O-Tron and mp3.

Well pñlayed.

I almost hve learned, but than my Concertina makes problems. A Key sticking. Have sort it out in the evening.

But thank you for placing the tume : Nice, easy and joyful and you helpful !

Thans and regards

Joachim

• 4 weeks later...
Just happened to find this thread, now.  Fun!  I'll practice playing that on my concertina -- have printed it out -- and then I'll try playing along with your recording!

It's nice that you have found this tune and have fun with it. Keep us informed on your progression!

BTW: in case you missed it, there are three more (not too difficult) tunes in this forum:

1. Af Shabbes in Vilna, including an entry in the Tune-o-Tron.

2. Lord Inchiquin (O' Carolan)

3. Sheebeg An Sheemore (O' Carolan)

Have fun :D

Henk

• 3 weeks later...
It's nice that you have found this tune and have fun with it. Keep us informed on your progression!

Well, I have been practicing playing The Sheffield Hornpipe, and a few of the others like Af Shabbes In Vilna, using a cassette-recording copy that I made for myself.

Making some progress, slowly! I haven't often played with others, just by myself.

The second part of The Sheffield Hornpipe where the melody descends in that line of intervals of thirds is a nice lesson. I had a bit of trouble remembering it well until I took extra note of the physical pattern it makes; the left hand moves in the opposite direction of the right, each time, for the most part. (On English concertina, that is.) --So, a good one to practice.

Hi Bellowbelle

It is nice to read that you are busy with the Sheffield Hornpipe :) .

The second part of The Sheffield Hornpipe where the melody descends in that line of intervals of thirds is a nice lesson.  I had a bit of trouble remembering it well until I took extra note of the physical pattern it makes;  the left hand moves in the opposite direction of the right, each time, for the most part.  (On English concertina, that is.)  --So, a good one to practice.

Also on the Anglo the second part is the most challenging. The frequent change in bellows direction can really support the rythm. On the other hand you could play it almost completely with the pull direction, but that requires a lot of cross row playing.

Anyway it is great to hear that this part is the most interesting for English as well as Anglo.

Making some progress, slowly! I haven't often played with others, just by myself.

Do you mean that you play together with a recording of the original MP3 file? So it's a virtual duet between an U.S. English and a Dutch Anglo. ;)

Have fun!

Don't forget this Swedish-Danish-American duet. :D

Now, that's a concert I'd love to hear! :blink:

Hmm...not so easy to vary the feet a whole lot, heheh...

someday, though, I would like to try one of those 'foot boxes' ...can't think of the name of them, I think it's an Indian name, not sure. THere was a thread about it, before.

Do you mean that you play together with a recording of the original MP3 file? So it's a virtual duet between an U.S. English and a Dutch Anglo. ;)

:) Yes, just my own little primitive copy of the Mp3 from online. In fact, it's just a hand-held recorder than uses the tiny little answering-machine-type of tapes, 90-minute ones. I have a fancier cassette player, but, this one is easier to grab and play while I'm driving somewhere or whatever.

I also added some sets of jigs/reels/etc. from 'The Virtual Session.'

Surprisingly, I sound pretty much in-tune with your recording in the same key, as well as with the other tunes. I mean, enough that I can practice it.

It's so much easier for me to work just on my own compositions, that I write! However, it would be nice to know at least a handful of what a lot of other players know and play.

(Hmm...I just had a 'deja vu' feeling....I hope I'm not getting repetitive, here....maybe I've said this before... :blink: !)

Oh well...

someday, though, I would like to try one of those 'foot boxes' ...can't think of the name of them, I think it's an Indian name, not sure.  THere was a thread about it, before.

It's called a shruti box. I've never even heard one (that I know of), but I agree, they sound pretty neat.

:)

Steven

I've never even heard one (that I know of), but I agree, they sound pretty neat.

Steven

I am not a native English speaker.... but as far as I understand it you know the sound of an instrument you never heard :( ???

someday, though, I would like to try one of those 'foot boxes' ...can't think of the name of them, I think it's an Indian name, not sure.  THere was a thread about it, before.

Those "Indian things" (Shruti boxes) are as far as I know not played by foot, but with one hand on certain knobs and the other pushing & pulling the bellows. Have a look at: http://www.raganet.com/RagaNet/Issues/3/srutibox.html

The footwork is done on a foot bass as is shown at: http://www.concertinaconnection.com/footbass_1.htm

There are also interesting soundfiles on that page.

Edited by Henk van Aalten

Those "Indian things" (Shruti boxes) are as far as I know not played by foot, but with one hand on certain knobs and the other pushing & pulling the bellows. Have a look at: http://www.raganet.com/RagaNet/Issues/3/srutibox.html

The footwork is done on a foot bass as is shown at: http://www.concertinaconnection.com/footbass_1.htm

There are also interesting soundfiles on that page.

Thanks, Henk, I was confusing two things together.

It's the foot bass that I was thinking of, though, I've heard of the Shruti box. (First heard of 'Shruti' as a little girl's name, though...I think it actually means 'octave,' not sure.)