Looking To Start Playing..

Hi, I'm new to this board (and to concertinas in general)..so I was looking for a little bit of help in choosing a first instrument to learn on.

I'm hoping to play irish music, so I guess I want to learn on a 30 key anglo.

I would prefer to spend something in the $300 range, and definitely can't go over $500 at this time, so one of the top of the line instruments is definitely out of the question for now.

Buy a Rochelle. They're in your price range and an excellent value for the price. If you tell us approximately where in the world you live we can steer you toward your closest dealer.

Hi, I'm new to this board (and to concertinas in general)..so I was looking for a little bit of help in choosing a first instrument to learn on.

I'm hoping to play irish music, so I guess I want to learn on a 30 key anglo.

I would prefer to spend something in the $300 range, and definitely can't go over $500 at this time, so one of the top of the line instruments is definitely out of the question for now.

Edited by Daniel Hersh

I've ordered my Rochelle from Bob about a week ago and am a "I've never even held one" beginner. The mules are still hauling it over the Rockies, and it being a long weekend here, I'll have to wait until Tuesday at the earliest. I am currently satisfying myself with the internet, youtube, and some of the cd's I've purchased. I'll let you know how it goes next week.

I've ordered my Rochelle from Bob about a week ago and am a "I've never even held one" beginner. The mules are still hauling it over the Rockies, and it being a long weekend here, I'll have to wait until Tuesday at the earliest. I am currently satisfying myself with the internet, youtube, and some of the cd's I've purchased. I'll let you know how it goes next week.

As a beginning (improving) player myself could I just add something too. The love of a new instrument is very strong, but easily damaged. Human nature being what it is, it is very easy to give up when the going gets tough. This happened with me on other instruments, and could very easily have happened to me with concertina too. You will almost certainly fall out of love with it after some difficult practice when nothing goes right and you cannot even play a phrase or a scale right, let alone a tune. At this point it is easy to leave it in the cupboard, with lots of self justification and promises to "do more tomorrow". This is a critical time where the only answer is to redouble efforts and discipline. If you can get over that period you will be back in love with the instrument again, only the bond will be stronger after what you have come through. I cannot go through a day without practice and playing through some of my expanding list of tunes. I feel something big is missing from my day if I can't play.

I know this sounds very emotional, but it truly is, the ability to make music is a wonderful, wonderful skill, but tht is what it is, a skill, and skills have to be learnt, they are not innate. At first its hard - then it becomes pure pleasure, struggling to get the best out of each tune.

I know this sounds very emotional, but it truly is, the ability to make music is a wonderful, wonderful skill, but tht is what it is, a skill, and skills have to be learnt, they are not innate. At first its hard - then it becomes pure pleasure, struggling to get the best out of each tune.

I can't remember ever struggling to find pure pleasure in playing any instrument. And I'm not so sure that it is skill, ...but rather innate. The emotional expression of a players music can be very much innate. Perhaps the "skill" is in the training of your hands and fingers to learn the muscle/motor skills to accomplish a pleasurable music expression. That's the way I see it. Just my opinion. But it's all fun and pleasurable to me.

I agree with you both, I spent countless hours as a teenager going to work, then back home at the end of the day to sit in my room and learn the guitar. I remember getting a Kingston Trio album that had the cords and music printed on the album's folding cover, and from the endless repetition I picked up the basics and went on to play for many happy years. Then in my forties I managed to get my LH 1st and 2nd digit's middle knuckles into the table saw, and the doctors ended up fusing them. Goodbye guitar as I couldn't bend them properly, and as life got busier the need to play just slowly submerged into dormancy.

Now another 20 years on, my wife and I were traveling around England/Scotland (just returned a couple of weeks ago), and she being a novice fiddler, we were into every music shop we happened upon, so she could look at the music selections, and for a particular piece (which we never found). It was during all the wandering about the shops and her constant asking if I would like to start a new instrument, that I began looking for a concertina. I have no idea why, but it has been in my head for several years now, and quite honestly I don't ever recall even hearing one (I'd also like to go and visit Mongolia). I asked every retailer we saw and they all gave me a peculiar look and a curt "No!", which I attributed to the fact they were stocked to gunnel's with electric guitars, drum sets, and electronic keyboards.

When we got home my wife's fiddle teacher had the piece of music she was looking for, which was a bit eerie, so I went on-line and googled concertinas. That day I spent 6 hours going through this site and all the links, no wonder those stores didn't stock these little beauties, how could they afford them? So, here I sit expectantly, waiting for the last day of our May holiday weekend to end. Tomorrow's mail ought to hold some exciting prezzies. Several Tutors, a Rochelle, and a few more CD's. Now if only my tax rebate arrives, it will be truly a great week.

R

AhhhhhHA!! ...the Rochelle finally arrived. Bob sent it out from Alabama May 6th, it arrived at customs in Vancouver May 18th, they finally sent it on and it arrived this morning, May 21st. Everything was packaged well, with the Edgley tutor I purchased also included inside the soft case. I say this, as I expect Bob gave it the once over.

I popped in the Edgley tutor (Frank Edgley's How to Play the Anglo Concertina) and I was on my way. Scales, scales , scales.....then I tackled "The Mountains of Pomeroy", as I have been listening to it for the last 3 weeks. It's in the outer buttons, the #'s and b's with a couple of notes in the middle row, which threw me a bit. Guess that lasted about three hours and now I have sore wrists and arms....but pleasantly so.

To me, I was surprised that the bellows were so stiff, but expect them to loosen up as time goes on. As this is the first concertina I have ever held in my hands and seen in person, take these comments based on "rank beginner status".

I also played around with the straps, one of the screwposts had some glue or something on it inside so it was tough to unscrew. I gently used pliers and leather padding and slowly got it extracted, I was worried it would snap, it was that tough. Now it goes in and out of the nut quite easily. The straps were at the second hole and I went out 2 more, played for awhile, then moved them in one, then finally back to the second hole again.

My hooped first and middle fingers do work quite well with this instrument, which was a big worry, and now just need years of muscle memory instilled. I like the sound, was surprised at that as well, sort of expected I don't know what, but it's fine for me right now.

If you are considering getting one of these, go for it!......so far, based on about 6 hours experience, I'd do it again. I can't wait until the day comes when I'll have to have a real expensive one and a 3 year wait, but in the meantime...... :)

Good story!

I would warn you about having some pains and tiredness.

6 hours at once for the first time is a bit too much.

You probably want to spend 15 minutes at a time, rest for some 10 minutes, then another 15-20 minutes, rest and the last 20 minutes will complete your daily routine.

Unless you want to make sure the doctors earn the living. And don't forget to relax those shoulders, you'll need them.

Congratulations!

To me, I was surprised that the bellows were so stiff, but expect them to loosen up as time goes on.

I have a Jack, the English baritone relative of the Rochelle, and I found it helped to pull the bellows gently to their full extent (with the air button open, of course) and leave them in that position a few times.

Congrats on your new instrument!

To me, I was surprised that the bellows were so stiff, but expect them to loosen up as time goes on.

I have a Jack, the English baritone relative of the Rochelle, and I found it helped to pull the bellows gently to their full extent (with the air button open, of course) and leave them in that position a few times.

Congrats on your new instrument!

Thanks for the advice, yep, my arms and wrists are SORE! I'll do as you both say, rest a lot more (no choice now...lol), and good idea about the bellows....this morning it felt like I was working out on my gym set....I did try scales as I worked out on the recumbent, that had her majesty howling......

The good news is that if you want to step up to one of Mr. Tedrow's nice concertinas it isn't a three-year wait, and you can get a full trade-in value credit. The bellows should break in a bit with use, just don't try to force them open too far. Take it from me, the elCheapo ebay specials have bellows that are even stiffer. A nautilus machine is less of a work-out than one of those.