Key Help

Hey Folks,

I am really enjoying my Anglo Concertina :) I do have a question though. Its a 30 button G/D Anglo. The first row (closest to me ) plays in D and its the one I use most, The second row I believe is the G row? It fingers the same as the D row. The third (farthest away) I cant figure out what it is ;) What key is it? The notes play differently then the other two rows too. Thanks!

Hey Bob

The third row (usually referred to as the "accidental row" on 30-button anglos) is not tuned to a major scale like the other two rows; instead, it has notes that allow you to play in other keys and their relative modes, and allow some alternative fingering for notes found on the G and D rows. Your third row likely has the notes indicated in this illustration of Wheatstone 30-button G/D layout provided on Chris Timson's helpful Concertina FAQ site. For example, the G# notes on the accidental row allow complete A major scales, and the left-side accidental row E/D button plays the same notes by using the opposite bellows direction of the left-side D/E button on the G row.

Edited by Laitch

Hey Bob

The third row (usually referred to as the "accidental row" on 30-button anglos) is not tuned to a major scale like the other two rows; instead, it has notes that allow you to play in other keys and their relative modes, and allow some alternative fingering for notes found on the G and D rows. Your third row likely has the notes indicated in this illustration of Wheatstone 30-button G/D layout provided on Chris Timson's helpful Concertina FAQ site. For example, the G# notes on the accidental row allow complete A major scales, and the left-side accidental row E/D button plays the same notes by using the opposite bellows direction of the left-side D/E button on the G row.

Thanks Laitch! Appreciate it greatly. I post some recordings of our sessions. Still a newbie on the CT but working on it daily :)

Hey Bob

The third row (usually referred to as the "accidental row" on 30-button anglos) is not tuned to a major scale like the other two rows; instead, it has notes that allow you to play in other keys and their relative modes, and allow some alternative fingering for notes found on the G and D rows.

.... and also (if you want to play chords as well as melody lines) it gives you more options. A useful feature of that third row is that the second button down on your left hand has the same notes as the top one of your middle row, but in the reverse bellows direction. So you can play a tune on your right hand, and -- by following the changes in bellows direction and alternating between those two buttons -- you can get a sort of drone going in the background. There are other "reverses" like this on a 30 key, and it's one of my favourite effects.