How Do You Play A Hayden Duet?

Yes you are quite right about the dominant 7ths; sorry for my little slip. It comes of having only limited time on the internet before the Library Computer changes into a Pumpkin! I write straight from the top of my head without being able to look up any references, and that week the person sitting next to me was half looking at me typing on an "air-keyboard" with my left hand and another was standing behind me ready to take over as soon as the mad old gentleman's time was up. I was writing right up to the last minute, and then had to put the reply on to Concertina.net with only minutes to spare. I have no idea how to correct an entry once it is on C.net, as this website comes with no explanation as to how it can be used. I have no idea how to quote previous entrys with one of those boxes either; perhaps someone might tell me?

I do have a computer at home which I use to write music, instructions for playing concertinas, and designs for concertinas and other musical instruments. But I have always kept it as a virgin computer as it now contains much imformation that is valuble to me (and possibly to other people someday). One friend of mine who is connected to the internet tells me that he spends 20 minutes checking for viruses etc. every time he turns on his computer, and still gets attacked. I'd rather spend that extra 20 minutes writing music or playing the concertina.

Inventor.

Brian-

Yes you are quite right about the dominant 7ths; sorry for my little slip. It comes of having only limited time on the internet before the Library Computer changes into a Pumpkin!

No problem. Thank you for 20+ years of joy with my Hayden concertina (actually, yours, as the one I play most of the time is the 46 key Wheatstone you sent to the States with Rich and Doug in 1994).

I have no idea how to correct an entry once it is on C.net, as this website comes with no explanation as to how it can be used.

At the bottom of every post as it appears on this site are two buttons, [+ QUOTE] and [" REPLY]. We'll get to those later. In addition, at the bottom of posts that you yourself have created, there is a third button, to the left of the others, [+ EDIT].

To edit your post, click the [+ EDIT] button at the bottom of it and you will be presented with a window very much like the one you are familiar with for composing new posts. The text of the old post fills the typing window and you can edit it freely by clicking anywhere in it and adding text at that point or dragging the mouse over text to highlight it and delete or replace it.

I have no idea how to quote previous entrys with one of those boxes either; perhaps someone might tell me?

If you see a post you want to respond to with a quote of all or part of that post, click the [" REPLY] button at the bottom of it. As above, you will be presented with a window very much like the one you are familiar with for composing new posts. The other person's post will fill the typing window, preceded and followed by "quote" tags in square brackets. Edit out any text you feel is extraneous to the needed quote. Just make sure you leave the tags intact (the stuff in the brackets and the brackets themselves). How I am continuing to quote bit by bit of your post alternating with my responses is a little more complicated, and rather than explain it, I will say that if you click the [" REPLY] button at the bottom of this post (even if you do not intend to reply to it), you will see the mechanics of how my post is composed, quote tags and all.

Note that there are buttons at the top of the post composition window which are helpful in creating effects, including quotes. If you linger over them with the mouse, a little note will appear giving a hint as to their function. The "quotes" one will put a pair of open and close quote tags at the end of whatever you've typed, and if you've highlighted any text from elsewhere on the page (a previous post), that text will appear between the tags.

Finally, there is the [+ QUOTE] button, mentioned earlier. If you want to create a post that responds to more than one previous post and quotes each of them, click this button at the bottom of each of them except the last one, where you will click the [" REPLY] button. The window that appears will contain properly formatted and tagged quotes of all the posts, and you can edit them for brevity and add your responses between them.

It is a good idea, when employing any fancy formatting like this, to preview your post before submitting it, just to make sure you haven't mangled any tags and confused the system. Next to the [Add Reply] button is a [Preview Post] button. Go for it. If you're happy with what you see, then hit [Add Reply]. In composing this post, I have done this five or six times, including after I decided to make all the button labels in bold face. One more, now, and I think I'm done...

I hope this helps.

(Two previews later with minor but essential edits) Finally!

Thank you, Dick, for reminding us where this thread started, but I don't think the question was "how does one play Irish trad on a Hayden," but rather "what does an Irish trad Anglo player tell a beginning Hayden player about how to get started on his instrument?"

I think [and its only my opinion],that a different approach from the normal duet approach,is the way forward for irish trad music on the duet.

I agree. And by the same token, I would not have chosen to play a duet concertina if my primary goal was to play Irish trad.