Concertina Players In Wirral, Merseyside

Hello I've been trying to play the English Concertina for a couple of years, and although I'm quite active on local folk scene (floorspots), playing guitar or occassionly concertina, I've found fellow concertina players are very thin on the ground, in fact none really. So if there is any other English/Anglo or even Duet players in the Wirral area who fancy getting together to exchange tunes etc, or just talk concertinas please lets know, and maybe we could organise a workshop or group. Thanks Keith

I've found fellow concertina players are very thin on the ground, in fact none really. So if there is any other English/Anglo or even Duet players in the Wirral area who fancy getting together to exchange tunes etc, or just talk concertinas please lets know, and maybe we could organise a workshop or group.

Hi Keith,

Welcome to the Forum!

Depending on how far you are prepared to "cast the net", you might be able to catch up with Ian Goodier, who was a excellent player of the English when last I saw him some years back. From memory, he was living in the Chester area; just "down the road" from you. Whilst Ian is a Forum member, I've just checked; he has not logged in since late last year. You could, however, message him. On this Forum, he goes by the name of "Aeolian" (see "Members" - top right corner of screen, if you have not already found it!).

Regards,

Peter.

Hello I've been trying to play the English Concertina for a couple of years, and although I'm quite active on local folk scene (floorspots), playing guitar or occassionly concertina, I've found fellow concertina players are very thin on the ground, in fact none really. So if there is any other English/Anglo or even Duet players in the Wirral area who fancy getting together to exchange tunes etc, or just talk concertinas please lets know, and maybe we could organise a workshop or group. Thanks Keith

Not quite the Wirral, but there's a concertina group meets in Chorley monthly (see here ) and many of the people invovled in this are visible at sessions in the north west ... there's a monthly english session in Standish (mentioned at the above web site), I get to one near St. Helens (every thursday) every few weeks .. that's a bit unsettled and in the process of moving, since the pub just closed (it wasn't our fault - honest) so email me if you're interested and I'll let you know it's whereabouts!

Chris

I've found fellow concertina players are very thin on the ground, in fact none really. So if there is any other English/Anglo or even Duet players in the Wirral area who fancy getting together to exchange tunes etc, or just talk concertinas please lets know, and maybe we could organise a workshop or group.

Hi Keith,

Welcome to the Forum!

Depending on how far you are prepared to "cast the net", you might be able to catch up with Ian Goodier, who was a excellent player of the English when last I saw him some years back. From memory, he was living in the Chester area; just "down the road" from you. Whilst Ian is a Forum member, I've just checked; he has not logged in since late last year. You could, however, message him. On this Forum, he goes by the name of "Aeolian" (see "Members" - top right corner of screen, if you have not already found it!).

Regards,

Peter.

Not quite the Wirral, but there's a concertina group meets in Chorley monthly (see here ) and many of the people invovled in this are visible at sessions in the north west ... there's a monthly english session in Standish (mentioned at the above web site), I get to one near St. Helens (every thursday) every few weeks .. that's a bit unsettled and in the process of moving, since the pub just closed (it wasn't our fault - honest) so email me if you're interested and I'll let you know it's whereabouts!

Chris

Thanks Chris Yes I've heard about the Chorley group, it'isn't a million miles away, but just a bit to far to go on a regular basis, which is why I thought I'd see if there was any one more local to me to start a similar thing. Thanks again keith

• 6 months later...

Chris

Thanks Chris Yes I've heard about the Chorley group, it'isn't a million miles away, but just a bit to far to go on a regular basis, which is why I thought I'd see if there was any one more local to me to start a similar thing. Thanks again keith

Hi Kieth,

Is West Kirby near enough? I have had a Jackie for about a year and love the instrument and would like to meet up. I play guitar, mandola, mandolin and banjo by ear and played at the Thatch on Mondays for years. So if you fancy getting together be in touch. Clive.

• 1 month later...

Hi Kieth, I have just found this thread and as pointed out by Peter I don't sign on too often. I live in Dutton between Runcorn and Northwich. I could certainly arrange some time to meet with you and try to explain how I've been doing it for the last 30 years if that would help. If you want to proceed that way please e-mail me on ian@igoodier.plus.net. I don't have the time to cmmit to a regular group so it would have to be an 'as and when' arrangement.

Ian

• 11 years later...

Hi Keith, I’ve just moved into New Brighton and have been learning the English concertina for a while. I’d be interested in getting together  with other players. Have you got a group running now? Cheers, Peter.