What Key?...and What Tunes?

Hi

Slowly working through my beginners book but I've connected with the abc music notation thing which seems brilliant and would like to download some easy tunes to have a go at

any suggestions for a few tunes for an anglo 20 button C/G

and

what key should they be in, I can convert them if necessary to another key, but I'm struggling to understand the whole key thing?

Cheers for any help

David

A 20-button C/C Anglo can only play in a few keys. It only has the "white" notes and F#, which pretty much limits you to C, G, their relative minors Am and Em, and their modal relatives G and D mixolydian and D and A dorian. Mixolydian and dorian scales have a major 6th and minor 7th. The mixolydian has a major 3rd while the dorian has a minor 3rd. Both are used in a lot of Irish tunes.

C major					/   G major
			  C  D  E  F  G  A  B  C   //	G  A  B  C  D  E  F# G
									 //
		A Minor					//  E minor
		A  B  C  D  E  F  G  A   //	E  F# G  A  B  C  D  E
								/
	 G mixolydian			 //	D mixolydian
	 G  A  B  C  D  E  F  G //	  D  E  F# G  A  B  C  D
						  //
D dorian					// A dorian
D  E  F  G  A  B  C  D	//   A  B  C  D  E  F# G  A

Two recommendations, both free:

Alan Day's tutor: text at http://www.filmsonglass.co.uk/images2/AlanDay.pdf and audio at http://www.etanbenami.com/Anglo%20Concertina%20Tutor.

Carlo Minasi's tutor from 1846: http://www.concertina.com/merris/minasi-ge...-tutor-1846.pdf

Daniel

Hi

Slowly working through my beginners book but I've connected with the abc music notation thing which seems brilliant and would like to download some easy tunes to have a go at

any suggestions for a few tunes for an anglo 20 button C/G

and

what key should they be in, I can convert them if necessary to another key, but I'm struggling to understand the whole key thing?

Cheers for any help

David

Hi

Thanks David for clearing that up about the keys, I don't know why I was struggling there, and also for the suggestion about Wendy's book which I will order. Also the other guys for their help which I will also follow up.

Cheers

David

Thank

The Day and Minasi items that I recommended were actually written for the 20-button concertina, so you won't have a problem with the keys with any of the tunes in those.

Daniel

Hi

Thanks David for clearing that up about the keys, I don't know why I was struggling there, and also for the suggestion about Wendy's book which I will order. Also the other guys for their help which I will also follow up.

Cheers

David