Sign in to follow this  
Stephen Chambers

Packie Russell Clips On You-tube

yes, i remember being electrified when i first saw/heard the packie clip that has been on the 'tube for about ten-ish years now....i love his "long-bow" clare-fiddle-type phrasing....exploiting the 30 or 30+ button anglo's full note-choice capacity to choose to extend your "bow strokes" and phrases when you want to, the way the fiddlers choose, or the bandoneon players can choose........about 6 years ago i was in a workshop with a clare concertina player of the "play only THESE buttons" school, and when they disapprovingly noted this in my style, i began to explain how i was doing it by choice, and the individual cut me off literally about four words in, and said in this patronizing tone, "by choice? i don't THINK so....this is something you see done by people without musical training," blah, blah, blah. so i didn't bother explaining any more, and didn't bother noting that gearoid and tim collins had separately remarked on it in a surprised but approving way. i just continued to play the way i want it to sound. and i am not at all convinced that packie russell was doing it accidentally. he sounds very "clare fiddle." so did john joe casey's concertina playing, i love the phrasing of his as well....

Edited by ceemonster

Early mornign random thoughts:

Fintan Vallely did a nice presentation on the history of the drum @ Willie a some years ago, there were some interesting insights there.

As for Clare drumming, you're all familiar with the recordings of Willie Clancy and Aggie Whyte accompanied bu Thady Casey's drumming?

lizzie crotty was a remarkable individual, and so was kitty hayes....the music was in them and it would out no matter what....

When I first went to Ireland in 1976 I sought out Packy Russell in the pub at Doolin. He saw my concertina and we started playing a tune together, but the pub was packed out with about 30 or 40 students from Dublin, every one of which had a bodhran. Whenever we started playing all the bodhrans started up too and it sounded like the annual wildebeest migration was going through the pub. After this had happened about 3 or 4 times Packie lent across to me at the end of our tunes and said "If there's a single bodhran in heaven, then I'm glad I'm going to Hell!"

When I first went to Ireland in 1976 I sought out Packy Russell in the pub at Doolin. He saw my concertina and we started playing a tune together, but the pub was packed out with about 30 or 40 students from Dublin, every one of which had a bodhran. Whenever we started playing all the bodhrans started up too and it sounded like the annual wildebeest migration was going through the pub. After this had happened about 3 or 4 times Packie lent across to me at the end of our tunes and said "If there's a single bodhran in heaven, then I'm glad I'm going to Hell!"

I vividly recall the reaction from Packie when I was sitting next to him and innocently suggested that the bodhran player sitting on the other side of him was playing well. Of course he could not make a comment with out his neigbour hearing so he turned to me and pulled a face that would out do a gargoyle!