What Do You Love...

It's Friday night and I'm about to pull my concertina out to play and I was wondering.... what do you love most about music in general, and playing the concertina in particular?

The first part is easy: music has always been a big part of my life; if's always been there. No matter what else is happening in my life, the music is always there to share it.

The second part not so easy; I confess I took up the concertina as a spur of the moment thing, but was hooked immediately. I love the sound, the portability (a big change from something like the harp) and I just love to play, to be lost in the music and the concertina together. Not something easily explained, but I think most of you will know what I mean.

Anyone else care to share?

[Ok, ok, I admit, I just finished watching "Mr Holland's Opus", but hey, that movie does have a point :) ]

Cheers

Morgana :D

About music...well, I love the flexibility of it...the elusiveness...the way it can swoop and fly and stutter and jump and flow...and when you're "with it" and the people you're playing with are too, there's a directness to it, you aren't thinking or trying, you're doing...and when you hear that it goes straight to your spine and makes all your little hairs stand on end, because it's amazing that mere humans can achieve such a simple, direct, beautiful thing.

About concertina -- I'm just a beginner, but I like two aspects of its personality in particular. First of all, I like a bouncy, rough & tumble, sea-shanty type accompaniment with all sorts of pokes and bursts and skittery jumps and grunts. Secondly, I like a smooth, swelling, simple & elegant singing style with subtle ornamentation and simple lines, sometimes overlapping, sometimes singular, but slippery and smooth throughout.

Music in general -- for me, music is a way to express myself in a more...elusive way than I do with words (I'm a writer). Sometimes I don't *want* to be 100% understood, or even 90% understood, but there are things I want to express all the same. Music is the language I use -- either in choice of what I'm listening to or in playing.

Again, music in general is very much tied in with my spirituality. Among other things, when I'm playing music, that is my meditation -- I am totally in the here and now and nothing else has room to intrude. 'Cause if I start thinking about something other than the tune, I'll screw up!

Concertina -- I grew up around them. I'm developing a new passion for Irish music in addition to my love of English folk. For me, the concertina is 10 times easier than say, the guitar or the pennywhistle (don't ASK how I finally managed to play the lowest D on my Generation D the other night. It's really gross. But it worked). I also love the portability compared to, say, a PA, or even a guitar.

And there's just something about having the music itself between your hands that is very, very appealing.

And here's a *really* strange reason of why the concertina: I like how they smell.

Hi Rhomylly,

Regards to anpother Cider Drinker.

Come to join me in the Basque Country, let``s go tyo a Cider Cellear and let``s make Music.

Music, I jon Jim, let's play.

Life would be poor without Music.

Concertina : The Coincertina makes me meet a lot of crzy people.

Well,. as you say, size, portability, shape, etc. but what makes me love it each day more, is the fact, that I am finding new melodies and tunes in the box.

Incredible how many can find place in such a small bocx.

I go to squeeze. Bye for now !

Joachim

Music is the "outward and visible sign of an inward and spiritual grace". Or, it's a great way to meet girls. Either way it works well.

Concertina? I started with harmonicas, little 10-hole diatonics, then worked into the deep toned chromatics and was just knocked out by the rich, reedy sound of squeezeboxes in general, and the sweet, singing voice of the concertina in particular.

Hearing Neil Young perform "After the Gold Rush" on a little, wheezy foot pump reed organ finally drove me over the edge, and I went and ordered a 20-b anglo from HMT the next day.

Hi All,

I love music because it moves me and excites me and joins me with other people without having to say a word. My job is talking, nice to interact without words sometimes.

The director's job in my dept. just came open unexpectedly and I decided not to try for it because I want to delve deeper into music. So I guess that means music is very important to me. Or a great excuse not to spend 80 hours at work.

The concertina is soooo much more portable than the hammer dulcimer and dulcimer stand and hammers and tuners and .....

I heard someone play one in concert at a folk festival and had to have one. Who knew that decision would lead to making friends all over the world.

Helen

AND I JUST GOT MY EDGLEY 24 BUTTON CONCERTINA, HEE HEE HEE

Come to join me in the Basque Country, let``s go tyo a Cider Cellear and let``s make Music.

Concertina : The Coincertina makes me meet a lot of crzy people.

Having played and drinking cider together with Joachim in the Basque country, I guess I'm one of those crazy people (!?). When Rhomylly joins we could start a Basque squeeze/cider-in :lol: .

I suggest that Joachim will then become the president of the BCA: the Basque Concertina Association (or the Basque Cider Association ;) )

Finally a very difficult question for Joachim: were those people already crazy before you met them?? (I partly was.)

Henk

Yes Helen...and new Friends over the world.

Alan. Girls ??? You are lucky and probably handsome.

it does not work with in this aspect. Perhaps it would in England !?

Henk : I accept the job. BCA.soubnds good !

Answer to your qustion : Yes I suppose crazy already before playing Concertina and nice persons and helpful too, als before playing the Concertina, but in may iuf not most case, even more once entered into the Concertina World.

Jim : Inciders, yes, the ones not ready to drink cioder here and play the Concertina would be Outciders !

A wet tuned Concertina, which would work at the same time as a cider Press, would be a great way to make our favourite instrumetn widely spread through the Basque Country and some other parts of the world.

Bye, nice, crazy Concertina Plazers and Music Makers in general .and elcome !!

Joachim

Girls ??? You are lucky and probably handsome.

it does not work with in this aspect. Perhaps it would in England !?

Joachim

It worked in Basque country as well. Did'nt we attract some women by playing the concertina on this hill (with a view iver the ocean!) last summer at Zarauz?

I must admit that they were much older than 1000 weeks, but on the other hand we are not so handsome. Anyway the concertina had some effect :D .

Henk

Yes, Henk, it is true, there came those women.

It must have been you or your Concertina Playimg !!!

After thinking about, I come to the conclusion, there miught be a chance if I practise still more and improve my playing, so I go home and shall train with more motivation than ever before.

Di you hear this song " Der <Mann am Klavier, den moegen alle Frauen...."

saying the man playing the piano , is to whom all women fall in love.

Do you know any song speaking about the Concertina Player..?

Be carfeul and not play in front of only female audience!!

Joachim