One Button With Low Volume

Hello A-bear-01.gif everybody. Ya got the bear here.

I have a brand new Stagi Anglo concertina. (the cheapest one they sell) that has one key that the volume is about half of what all the other buttons are. Short of sending it back to where I bought it from, any suggestions as to how this can be corrected?

If anyone can help me correct this you will make me one happy bear...............

Which note is it? Is it on the push or pull? Generally, though, if you got something new the best thing is to take it back and get it fixed or replaced. Do-it-yourselfing may void out any kind of warrenty you may have. If Stagis have a warrenty.

Or however you spell it.

Which button? Sorry, must of thought you folks could read minds........LOL

Anyway its a Stagi G/C Anglo, the "PUSH" note on the top left G row. And as far as taking it back to the store. Well this one was bought on ebay. It belongs to one of the guys who lives in the apartment building I live in and he asked me to help him out.

At least it gave me a chanch to try a Stagi out without spending any money. The instrument seems to this beginner to be OK except I dont like the location of the bellows button. I cannot reach it with my thumb and it a hassel trying to work it with a finger.

But I am good with my hands and a very good handyman. I have fixed things from clock and locks to semi trucks and love doing it. I've also changed reeds in harmonicas and retuned harmonicas. I'm looking forwards to getting inside a concertina.

The bear said that.....................

But I am good with my hands and a very good handyman. I have fixed things from clock and locks to semi trucks and love doing it. I've also changed reeds in harmonicas and retuned harmonicas. I'm looking forwards to getting inside a concertina.

Be sure to get yourself a copy of Dave Elliott's Manual. Like offered here.

A must for those who want to get inside.

Leonard.

Thank you Leonard, I will do that.

Check the valve associated with the problem reed (i.e. on the opposite side of the reed plate. It mat be partially stuck down.

You mean like a chromatic harmonica, makes sense. I'll do that my friend.

Thank you Paul.

Does this manual cover the German/Italian/Chinese "parallel" action instruments and accordion type reeds?

I thought it was confined to "radial" traditional British actions and genuine concertina reeds.

If it appleis to all types of construciton, it is definitely the book to get. --Mike K.

Does this manual cover the German/Italian/Chinese "parallel" action instruments and accordion type reeds?

Nope -- just the "classic" style.

Thats all it needs to cover. If one learns the "BASICS" of how something works it should be easy to figure out the different types of instruments. That is if one has some degree of common sense.

The instrument seems to this beginner to be OK except I dont like the location of the bellows button. I cannot reach it with my thumb and it a hassel trying to work it with a finger.

I'll bet it's tough working that button with a finger especially if you'd try working it with a finger from your left hand, bear! :lol: Assuming you've got your thumb outside the strap, here's one post discussing the Stagi air button problem and here's another.

Thats all it needs to cover. If one learns the "BASICS" of how something works it should be easy to figure out the different types of instruments. That is if one has some degree of common sense.

True enough. Tuning and setting reeds is the same in any case -- provided you can get to those waxed-in reeds. You cna figure out the actions just by lookign at it.

But some books go into lots of specific details about adjusting classic actions, and ignore the parallel types.

I thought it was confined to "radial" traditional British actions and genuine concertina reeds.

If it appleis to all types of construciton, it is definitely the book to get. --Mike K.

"Classical" English-style construction isn't necessarily radial. Many English-made instruments -- especially instruments by Jeffries and anglos by Lachenal -- had the individual reed frames and reed chambers arranged in parallel rows in the reed pan. On the other hand, those elements I've highlighted in blue are characteristic of the English engineering.

Hello bear,

I just replied to you in another thread.

If the problem is mainly on the push it may be because of a bad sealing with wax.

I have the same problem on mine (except that I caused the problem myself by

not being able to reseal correctly)

David

Edited by david fabre

Anyway its a Stagi G/C Anglo, the "PUSH" note on the top left G row. And as far as taking it back to the store. Well this one was bought on ebay. It belongs to one of the guys who lives in the apartment building I live in and he asked me to help him out.

At least it gave me a chanch to try a Stagi out without spending any money. The instrument seems to this beginner to be OK except I dont like the location of the bellows button. I cannot reach it with my thumb and it a hassel trying to work it with a finger.

As Laitch alluded to in a different thread, the air button is difficult to operate because of the handrest extention. I took a fine toothed saw and a good chisel and lowered the extension about 3/8" (it really shouldn't be there at all) and that allowed me to operate the button with my thumb the way it's supposed to be operated.

Edited by kfk'51

Thank you both for the reply, at least I have an idea as to where to start looking for the problem. Maybe with a little luck I can turn this into a playable instrument for my friend to learn on

Check the valve associated with the problem reed (i.e. on the opposite side of the reed plate. It mat be partially stuck down.

Or the valve next to the affected reed tongue. If this is not sealing, air will pass through the associated 'pull' reed resulting in half power of the 'push' reed.

GC

Chances are, it's one of the valves associated with that reed plate. If the note is on the press, then the reed tongue affected is visible when you open the instrument. Either the valve right next to it on the same plate is open or missing, or the valve which is not visible, on the backside of the reed plate is stuck partially closed. It could be trapped under the edge of the reed on the back side. If the reeds are screwed down it's easy enought to remove the plate. You may have to trim the valve a bit so it's not held down when the reed is returned and fastened down.