Concertina Boer Music On Youtube

Came across this interesting collection of Boer Music (Boeremusiek) recordings. Click here: http://www.youtube.com/user/konsertina. This guy posted 9 video clips. Wothwhile watching a few (if not all 9 of them). Different concertinas (Anglo Wheatstones, Scholers, McCann, Crane). Gives you some idea of Boer Music. I noted that there is one non-Boer Music recording: Percy Honi in'Lily of Kilarney' - seems to be a clip from an old movie with an Irish setting.

Hello Vic,

I believe that the posting on Boer music on YouTube was made by Sean Minnie - a new member to C.net. It would be nice to see other styles of South African concertina music too on YouTube. It would be nice to show concertina players outside of South Africa (Irish Trad, English Session) why South African players are so crazy about 40 button anglo concertinas and why one needs all those buttons.

Hello Vic,

I believe that the posting on Boer music on YouTube was made by Sean Minnie - a new member to C.net. It would be nice to see other styles of South African concertina music too on YouTube. It would be nice to show concertina players outside of South Africa (Irish Trad, English Session) why South African players are so crazy about 40 button anglo concertinas and why one needs all those buttons.

In this:

a poor man appears to play expencive large duet with distinctive Honky reeds in place of cheap Schooler 20 button.

I guess they just wondered with the camera in some pub, found that poor man with his Duet, and made some footage.

In this:

a poor man appears to play expencive large duet with distinctive Honky reeds in place of cheap Schooler 20 button.

I guess they just wondered with the camera in some pub, found that poor man with his Duet, and made some footage.

Please take the time and read the full video description. It is the great Percy Honri, starring in the 1934 movie "Lily of Killarney"

In this:

Please take the time and read the full video description. It is the great Percy Honri, starring in the 1934 movie "Lily of Killarney"

Really?

Wow!

I didn't know that in SA such greats were so poor, played in pubs and weren't paid enough to get nicer clothes.

But we are lucky that the movie crew happened to be there with camera.

I think this may just be the Russian sense of humour, Sean.

It's a great clip; thanks for putting it on.

I guess I should have stuck to "Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will be like him yourself." Let this be a lesson to me.

I think this may just be the Russian sense of humour, Sean.

It's a great clip; thanks for putting it on.

I guess I should have stuck to "Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will be like him yourself." Let this be a lesson to me.

Sean, suspecting me of not understanding that the clip is an episode from throw-away mainstream attempt to emulate Hollywood movies was a little too much for me. I really don't have to read description to see it.

I noticed that it's a sloppy piece of directing, to put a good player with superb instrument in place of poor working man in the pub with his "friends".

Boer music style, as I percieve it, derives from been played on 20 button German made Anglos. The directors, once again, showed great lack of knowledge of their own folk culture, but nontheless, wanted to ride on it. And some say, there is no free lunch. You just have to find fools to sell your stuff to.

There are too many people, for whom their "own" folk culture is just so exotic. Lame, but exotic.

But good clip, yes. Thank you.

I noticed that it's a sloppy piece of directing, to put a good player with superb instrument in place of poor working man in the pub with his "friends".

Boer music style, as I percieve it, derives from been played on 20 button German made Anglos. The directors, once again, showed great lack of knowledge of their own folk culture, but nontheless, wanted to ride on it. And some say, there is no free lunch. You just have to find fools to sell your stuff to.

There are too many people, for whom their "own" folk culture is just so exotic. Lame, but exotic.

But good clip, yes. Thank you.

Ummm Mischa, it's supposed to be Irish! :unsure:

Or should that be "Oirish"? :rolleyes:

Though the comment about the 20-key German concertina is just as valid for the era of the film (1934)...

:lol:

Edited by Stephen Chambers

I posted the clip of Percy Honri because of my admiration for him and his instrument. It was never intended to represent Boer music nor folk culture since the movie is British. However, there is more to Boer music than 20-button german anglos. They are in fact played by a small minority in yet another different style. Most concertina models are used and you can read more on www.boeremusiek.org.za.

Please accept my appologies for the insensitive remarks.

Ummm Mischa, it's supposed to be Irish! :unsure:

What? It's a British Movie?

No wonder they speak in such a strange manner: "What'tsh a matta-patta-rrra-ta-tat-s-tha-matta s'rrr?"

I thought it's some sort of SA movie talk, it was on the page with all the Boer clips.

Ah, darn it. And I had such respect for British Cinematography.

Or should that be "Oirish"? :rolleyes:

Yea, it's more like it. I'd say it's more "Oy-veyrish".

Though the comment about the 20-key German concertina is just as valid for the era of the film (1934)...

That's for sure.

But in case they use 20 button German one, they would probably use Piano Accordion as a sound over.

• 3 years later...