Converting Abc Notation From One Key To Another

david watkins

Hi

I'm sure I've seen on the forums someone suggest a piece of software which can convert automatically an abc tune from one key to another, but can I now find it.......? I having started using Navigator 2 but it doesnt seem to have this...

Anyone able to help?

Thanks

David

If you go to the abc home page and click on the abc software button on the left, you will find a grid listing all types of abc software for all types of uses. For transposing, you will find MusiCAD for Windows, BarFly for Mac (my music workhorse) and two applications for command-line: abc2mtex and abcMIDI.

Happy hunting.

Learn it in one key and then transpose by ear - the old brain is more efficient than any utility and can do this quite easily.

Yes, but you might be producing the music for someone else (e.g. a workshop) where this skill has not been developed.

Regards,

Peter.

Maybe you could use this, David, until you find something else.

Thanks for the site. It works great. It also has a pdf print capability. In a couple of minutes

I now have "Ah, Marie" in GD & E.

Hi

I'm sure I've seen on the forums someone suggest a piece of software which can convert automatically an abc tune from one key to another, but can I now find it.......? I having started using Navigator 2 but it doesnt seem to have this...

Anyone able to help?

Thanks

David

Hi David ...

Try Melody Assistant or Harmony Assistant (a Google search should find them) - very reasonably priced (even free if I recall) - you can import ABC files - view them as music, edit them, add chords, transpose - print them out - and export the music back to ABC in a different key - or into various other music formats. The programs are not my favorites for setting music (I use Mozart 9) but they are very high on my list of essential suppor programs.

Kind regards

Jon McNamara

Good info, here... I'll have to try some of the sites mentioned.

I sometimes use Noteworthy Composer (dots), then I use a different software called NWC2ABC. (I can easily transpose the noteworthy.)

The same software can turn ABC into NWC.

I prefer ABC though, so it's nice to hear about these other programs, since I wouldn't have to bother with Noteworthy dots at all.