More Than One Concertina. Do They Get Played?

My Rochelle gets used more than my Céilí (which, by the way I found out is pronounced "Kay-Lee"). I sometimes take it into work if I have to go in on a weekend to practice. I actually do most of my practicing on the Rochelle, because if I can play something almost in a musical way on the Rochelle, then it ends up sounding like I actually know what I'm doing when I play it on the Céilí.

Interesting. I own a Rochelle and am contemplating the Morse Céilí. Are you saying that you practice on the Rochelle because it's harder? The musical equivalent of playing tennis with a smaller racquet?

There are two reasons why I use the Rochelle:

1. I don't worry about transporting it, or losing it -- so I take it to other places if I know there's going to be some quiet time to practice.

2. I don't worry about breaking it, or having my cats attack it.

It is harder to play on the Rochelle, so if I can play a tune ok on that, then I can play it pretty well (or at least pretty well for me) on the Céilí -- so there is a little bit of the 'smaller tennis racquet' thing; but honestly my main root-cause reason for using it more is just because it is so very much cheaper than the Céilí. I could, if needed, replace the Rochelle in a couple of months. It would be several years at least before I could replace the Morse.

To take the question a step further, why ever bother owning the Morse at all?

The Céilí sound and plays so very much better. (No offence to Mr. Wakker, but I don't think he'd argue the point -- the Rochelle is not intended to compete with the Céilí/Edgley/Tedrow/etc class of instruments.) I am VERY happy with my Morse anglo. I want to have a nice instrument so I can play it at family gatherings and such. And for my own enjoyment, to be sure.

I play only EC.

My metal ended Aeola fits Irish music best and is played most of all.

The Boyd metal ended new model Lachenal has a different sound (not as bold) but has probably better reeds than the Aeola (just a liitle tiny push of the bellows and it starts whispering a melody) so its great to play airs from time to time on this Lachenal.

Than I have an old metal ended Lachenal which is somewhat asthmatic, hard work to get that one working, quite the opposite of the new model Lachenal. But it was my first ''good'' concertina, and for old time sakes I am reluctant to sell it (I once was offered 2000 euros for it and didn't do it - in fact it is worth only about half that amount). It sits next to my PC in case of emergencies (when an air pops up in my head, or when I have to wait to download something, etc.).

Then there are the other instruments....... :(

Hermann

Chris

I have two Morse Anglos... a C/G and an Ab/Eb (I had the button box convert my G/D to an Ab/Eb) and I use them both equally. It seems like some pieces just sound "right" on one as opposed to the other in terms of key. The nice thing is that the keys get varied as well (G, D, and C on one are Eb, Bb, and Ab on the other). I don't play a whole lot of Trad on my concertina though, it's mostly pieces I compose, or studio work...

All the best.

- John

I must be wired up wrong as I play Anglo and English

Me too; not only do they sound different, but it's fun to play both. I wish I could simply commit to either one, but something keeps bringing me back to EC.

More Than One Concertina. Do They Get Played?

They do.

If you are fortunate enough to own more than one concertina, how often do you play your other instrument(s).

My whistles, flutes, trumpet, saxophone...?

They all get played, though not in equal amounts.

I didn't realise you were so musically, err, gifted, Jim. Blimey!

But you meant my "other" concertinas, and to that I have to say that I don't have just one that's primary, to which I consider the others "other". I play all those that are in playable condition and not on loan to others. I make no attempt to "equalize" the relative amounts of time on each, but neither are the proportions the same from day to day, week to week, etc.

Yes, of course I really meant your "other" concertinas, but I chose to phrase it slightly ambiguously to take into account the fact that there are plenty of C.net people, I am sure, who own and play other instruments beside their concertina, and these will also need to have some time set aside for play/practice. I have recently been given a rather nice concert Uke by my partner, as a present from Hawaii, on her return from spending two glorious weeks there on vacation. That means I shall have to learn to play it and will probably end up spending less time playing my concertinas. Afterall, besides, work, rest and play, oh, and eating, there are only so many hours in a day. It's another challenge and a nice one too, I think.

And thank you for all your replies so far. They have been most interesting. Better go now and get some practice in. "Tiptoe through the tulips......!"

Chris

PS Any duets for EC and uke?

Here's the style I like to play (it's easier than Jake!):

Beautiful, I loved it!

Now you try it on your concertina! :lol:

Oeps :o , this was meant as an answer to Dirge's youtube suggestion, but I guess it equally applies to Caty's one too.

If you are fortunate enough to own more than one concertina, how often do you play your other instrument(s). Do you play them in rotation, so they all get played a little (or a lot) over time, or do they just sit in their boxes gathering dust? I guess it can depend on the type of system you play; e.g. if, like me, you play English concertina, you might also own a baritone and a 'spare' treble, like I do. My main instrument is a my Lachenal Edeophone and that gets played the most, virtually every day. I endeavour to play my other two at least once a week for an hour each, though the baritone tends to get neglected as I haven't learned much of a repertoire for it yet. On the otherhand, you may own an anglo and a duet and need to find time to play both systems. This begs the question of how many hours we are willing/able to devote to our hobby. Perhaps you spend too much time on line browsing forum topics when you could be playing! Your responses appreciated.

Chris

Hi Chris ...

Interesting question - Chris Timson asked if I cared to comment - so here goes ...

Personally I have, I think, five English system instruments - and a number of the cheaper Anglos in the house that my wife once took an interest in! Sorry to sound vague - but some of the Anglos have been loaned and are "back home" as far as I know. Of the English (A Wheatsone metal ended, a Lachenal "New Model" and an Edeophone - a baritone which may be a George Case - and my two most played instruments - a Morse treble and baritone). The Wheatstone is a favorite but doesn't get out too often - it's big and bold and shows up all my mistakes ... both the Laschenals are out on loan trying to encourage others to join the "cause" - while the Morse's get played almost every day! Why, because they are robust - and more important - they are light in weight - I bought them some years ago when I was suffering from my wrists being damaged from over use of the computer keyboard - and it was impossible to hold and play a vintage instrument. But the Morse, coming in at just on 1Kg each - with the added support of a neckstrap proved to be the saving of my hobby - now my wrists are much better I still use them because I just enjoy them.

I suppose I'd consider the important part of that statement is "the Lachenals" are out on loan. My connection with the International Concertina Association means that I actively try to promote the playing of the concertina in all it's various forms ... my lack of ability means that it is normally only the English System I can promote - and what better way than actually allowing people to try one for weeks/ months - whatever is needed. The Lachenal New Model is currently with a young lady who is developing a great interest in music - she was introduced to a Jackie at Sidmounth - and was allowed to borrow one from the WCCP. I have nothing against the Jackie - they are wonderful starter instruments - but have their limitations ... the day I loaned her the Lachenal it was like all her birthdays had arrived at once. What the loan really does is allow the student to determine if they really want to play the instrument - and her parents to determine that it really is worth paying out the money to buy her a good quality instrument of her own. The other Lachenal is on loan to a local Music Teacher who was fascinated by the instrument (and possibly from quite an early age - she persuaded her parents to buy her a concertina in her teens - but was not overjoyed by the Hohner Anglo she was given one Christmas and abandoned the "Dream"). My hope is that by encouraging her to play we may find ourselves with a real Concertina Music Teacher ... and the ICA with some advice to pass on to Music Teachers everywhere as to how they might be able to help/teach the aspiring player.

Within this question of "How many instruments does any person need?" - to which the real answer is "as many as I can get my hands on"!! there is the problem of "what happens if my only instrument breaks and needs to go to the concertina doctor?" and "do I let my daughter practice/learn on my instrument leaving me without one to play?" - and the thousand variations on this theme! Currently we are starting to explore the possibility of identifying companies who might be willing to loan/hire instruments - as I say - we are just starting - so if you have any useful information I would be delighted to hear from you. We have considered buying instrument for loan by the ICA - but the problem we have is insuring the instruments against loss or damage ... again any information would be very welcome. I can be contacted off topic at chairman@concertina.org

Kind regards

Jon McNamara

:rolleyes:

I have two Dippers which I play daily. The C/G is a really raunchy instrument, one that I use for the Morris and sometimes in sessions. The D/G is a much more mellow instrument with a really sweet tone that I use mailny in sessions and in the ceilidh band.

Graham Else

Here's one for you Chris, if you haven't seen it before

I couldn't believe it. Ready for performance by Xmas perhaps?

Thanks for that Dirge. Wow, the guy is a god. And he's had over one and a half million viewings. Amazing. I got someways to go yet. It takes a lotta pluck to play the Ukulele you know but we're headin off topic, so I guess it's back to the good old tina. Now, where was I. Ah, yes, The Fisher's Hornpipe. Jolly nice tune. I recently posted a version of it on the tune-o-tron.

Chris