Newbie Question

Paul L.

I'm sure this has come up before here, but I couldn't find anything. OK. I have got the bug. :) I'm about ready to get a concertina. This has been gnawing away at me for a couple of years. The thing is that I learn on other instruments by ear and watching others play. I can't read music. I like the sound of the G/D and my singing voice is low. Do y'all think that a G/D could be used with the various video or CD instructionals out there? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. B)

All the best,

Paul Light

Edited by Paul L.

Do y'all think that a G/D could be used with the various video or CD instructionals out there?

Answer no. 1... Absolutely!

Answer no. 2... It depends on what you expect to learn.

Now to explain the apparent discrepancy: You can use those tools to learn how to do things, but if you try to play along using the same buttons, you'll be in a different key. You'll probably have to stop and start the video/audio, doing your playing while it's stopped, to keep from going crazy. And if you learn a tune "by the buttons", you won't be in the same key as others who play it in sessions. To play along with them, you'll have to learn button-bellows combinations that aren't on the video/CD.

So yes, you can use those materials to learn techniques and some elements of style.

But no, they won't be very useful for learning to play specific tunes along with others.

Your "final" decision may be based on information you currently do not have in hand. I started out with a G/D instrument, playing Sea Chanties and sing-a-long tunes, playing within the rows.

Eventually I gravitated towards Irish tunes, and found the C/G more suitable for playing across the rows and for speed. (Especially since, that's what my instructor uses, and recommmends.)

As far as the "final" decision goes....Like most of us, I suspect you will start with an instrument (any instrument) and meandor through a few until you settle on one that's just right for you.

Personally, I wouldn't make the decision based on instructional videos/CDs, etc. They have their place, but are limited.

Good luck!

If you are concerned with existing learning materials, workshops, lessons, and the like, and what you like is the lower tone of the G/D, you might want to consider a Baritone C/G.

Only problem with that is they are vanishingly rare. Apart from my baritone C/G (made for me by Colin Dipper) I have only ever seen one other. Colin made the tone especially reasonant and rich for me, and I truly believe it to be the finest anglo ever made for song accompaniment.

The good news is that Rich Morse has said that the Button Box are developing a baritone version of the Ceili anglo (I am genuinely excited by this, BTW. If the baritone anglo works out as well as the baritone English Rich will deservedly have a real winner on his hands). Rich has a good track record of always delivering on his promises, but they may be some time in coming. So I would not hold up your purchase of your first concertina on the off chance that a Morse baritone will turn up soon.

So that brings us back to your original question: C/G or G/D. For sessions I play the G/D. I love the G/D. I have 4 of them. They make the C/G sound squeeky (no flames please, just my opinion). They fit with the music played in "English" music sessions beautifully. Having said all that I don't think you can draw hard and fast rules like play a C/G for Irish or a G/D for English music. Too much of this is down to personal preference.

In my case I had tried to play a C/G in session, but got nowhere until I got a G/D, when it all started to make sense on a physical level. That is, it felt right. But there are plenty of people playing English music on the C/G (or come to that on English and duet concertinas). And a couple of years back there was a long thread here from people who preferred playing Irish music on the G/D. The only thing I can suggest is try both and find which you prefer. It really is the only way.

Chris

I like the sound of the G/D and my singing voice is low.

"Low"? How low? G/D low?

If you plan to use an anglo mainly for singing, then it helps to know what keys and ranges you sing in most comfortably. As I recall, many years ago John Roberts was looking for a Bb/F anglo, though he already had a C/G and a G/D, because the C/G was too high for combining where he liked to sing with the way he liked to play, but the G/D was too low. A Bb/F, on the other hand, was "just right". (Maybe we should call him "Goldilocks Roberts".)

Looked at in this way, if a standard C/G doesn't fit with your voice, then a baritone C/G -- while sounding beautifully deep and rich in its own right -- probably won't be any better for accompaniment in the keys you want to sing in. On the other hand, if you like the sound of the G/D but playing it doesn't fit handily with your voice, then a baritone C/G might be just what you want. (It might even be accepted for playing tunes in snobbish Irish sessions. I know it would be in the non-snobbish ones.)

However, if your primary use is going to be for tune playing, you'll probably want to base your decision on what kind of music you'll be playing and with whom. (Hey, I guess that pretty well includes what I said about singing, too. :) )

A week ago I was at the song and tune session in Portsmouth, N.H., and Emery Hutchins played a number of Irish tunes on his Dipper baritone (he only waited 10 years to get it!). It was lovely, but we couldn't hear him well enough in a noisy pub to play along at the correct tempo! So it was a solo, with a guitar and fiddle or two.

I too applaud the BBox plans to make baritones on "spec." In fairness it should be pointed out that Wim Wakker (Concertina Connection) and Bob Tedrow also offer accordion reeded baritone anglos, and at least one other maker tells me he would be happy to make one on special order. The more the merrier if you ask me. Support the maker of your choice!

Only problem with that is they are vanishingly rare. Apart from my baritone C/G (made for me by Colin Dipper) I have only ever seen one other. Colin made the tone especially reasonant and rich for me, and I truly believe it to be the finest anglo ever made for song accompaniment

I have two of them in the shop ready for homes, refer to the buy/sell section

give me a call on the phone if you would like to hear one of them.

Bob Tedrow

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the replies. I'm now comfortable with this part of my decision.

And if you learn a tune "by the buttons", you won't be in the same key as others who play it in sessions. To play along with them, you'll have to learn button-bellows combinations that aren't on the video/CD

That's what I thought, Jim. That makes sense. It's more important to learn the instrument than just certain fingerings. I've had a G/D played for me and I love the sound of it. so after reading here, I think my first one will be one of those. I say first one because from the looks of things a lot of you experienced concertinists have ended up with several of them. If I know myself I can comfortably say that if things go well with this one I'll probably end up in the same boat. :lol: Thank you all again.

Best,

-Paul

I say first one because from the looks of things a lot of you experienced concertinists have ended up with several of them.  If I know myself I can comfortably say that if things go well with this one I'll probably end up in the same boat.

Welcome to the club. Don't forget to report back and tell us about your "first" concertina when you get it.

I have two of them in the shop ready for homes, refer to the buy/sell section

There can never be too many baritone anglos in the world, IMHO.

Cheers to you both,

Chris