Ssi 2009

Well, SSI 2008 is over, and we who were there had a great time!

Soon I'll be adding a page or so about our experience to our official web site,

I'll also be changing the home page to show preliminary information about

SSI 2009,

which will be our

Tenth Annual!

The dates are set.

SSI 2009 will be held

April 24-26, 2009,

which is

the last weekend in April.

The location will be the same as in past years.

The format will also be essentially the same,

though we may have a few "extras" to celebrate our 10th.

Watch for more details here and on our website.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bielefeld is one of the few concertina weekends that fit in with term times (the Scandinavian Squeeze-In, sadly, doesn't. Double drat).

Huh?
:huh:

This year, for the first time, they were both on the same weekend, April 25-27.

And I've just been told that next year Bielefeld will again be the last weekend in April, which is a pity, because SSI 2009 will also be that same weekend: April 24-26, 2009.

We decided many years ago that the last full weekend in April would be our scheduled weekend for the SSI, and I believe we suffered when we departed from that in 2006 and 2007 to accommodate personal conflicts that developed for some of the organizers. Even in those years, we weren't in conflict with Bielefeld -- which was "always" held in mid-May, -- though we lost some of our former regulars through other conflicts.

For SSI 2008, we went back to our former schedule. I announced the 2008 dates shortly after SSI 2007, but I didn't follow it up with regular reminders, and it seems that at least some folks were confused about the dates after the shifts of 2006 and 2007, and were thus unable to plan in advance. So, unfortunate though the conflict with Bielefeld may be -- I've been there more than once in the past, and would like to go again, -- we feel that we just have to live with it. Trying to change our schedule every time we learn of a conflict, or even one as significant as Bielefeld, is self-defeating.

And our format is quite different from that of Bielefeld. The SSI is a gathering, not a "school" (nor a "festival"). As such, we are unusual, though not quite unique, in Europe. We have no specially designated instructors or performers, though we've always found ourselves with more than enough individuals capable of each. (In fact, I don't recall that any of our participants didn't also do at least a little something in our small, public-is-invited concerts.)

The conflict, if it continues, does create a problem for those who like both Bielefeld and the SSI. But I hope -- and expect -- that as the years go by, they will sometimes choose the one and sometimes the other. In fact, I might even skip the SSI once in a while to attend Bielefeld. Even better, for me, would be if Bielefeld would return to its former schedule, but I don't know whether Mario would find that a reasonable thing to do, since I don't know why he shifted from his old schedule in the first place.

Edited to add: Looks like Danny (Ratface) posted while I was writing. This post wasn't intended as a reply to his, but it might as well be.

Edited by JimLucas

And I've just been told that next year Bielefeld will again be the last weekend in April, which is a pity, because SSI 2009 will also be that same weekend: April 24-26, 2009.

Just goes to show what a terminal state of confusion I am in. I thought (expressed in a different thread) that Bielefeld and the SSI were sequential weekends, and that Bielefeld would get our custom because it fit in with Bath Spa University term times and the SSI didn't. Well waddyaknow. Perhaps we will be at the SSI after all.

Chris

SSI 2009,

which will be our

Tenth Annual!

The dates are set.

SSI 2009 will be held

April 24-26, 2009,

which is

Now where is whatsitcalled then ?

Don't seem to have a website, so how does everyone know about them ?

Always depending on what turns up next year. At the moment I've penciled in SSI dates.

It was a good one this year too.

Chas

SSI 2009,

which will be our

Tenth Annual!

The dates are set.

SSI 2009 will be held

April 24-26, 2009,

which is

Always depending on what turns up next year. At the moment I've penciled in SSI dates.

It was a good one this year too.

Chas

There's a link to the web site in your own quote (and mine). Click on the words "our official web site."

There's a link to the web site in your own quote (and mine). Click on the words "our official web site."

Actually, David, I think Chas was wondering where to find information on the "German Concertina Weekend" in Bielefeld. He already knows about the SSI.

Knowing what it's called, a Google search on the combination of "German Concertina Weekend" and "Bielefeld" can lead you to Mario Klieman's web site at http://www.concertina.dyndns.org/. (It's also available through http://www.concertina.de/.)

But then it helps to know that the -Flyer runterladen- link is not something about cheap flights to Bielefeld, but is the document (flyer) with details about the weekend, in PDF format.

• 10 months later...

Well, Henrik posted a fresh announcement in the Public News & Announcements subforum just over a week ago, but I'm of the impression that a lot of folks rarely look there, so here's a reminder post in the General Discussion.

Yes, folks, the

Tenth Annual Scandinavian Squeeze-In is happening!

The last weekend in April.

(April 24-26, 2009)

In southern Sweden, "just over the bridge" from Denmark and the Copenhagen airport.

We welcome participants from all over, not just from Scandinavia. In the past they've come from Germany and Holland, Russia and Spain, England (of course), and even once from the US. (We're still hoping for others from "overseas", though that might have to wait for a more favorable economic climate. :()

If you're not sure what this is all about, please look over our website, and also the first couple of posts in this thread. We love to see fresh faces, as well as "old" friends, and we already have some of each who are definitely coming this year. Won't you join us?

Well sadly, as Jim knows, the very weekend of the SSI I shall be in the process of being discharged from hospital after a total knee replacement op 6 days before. I would have loved to go to the 10th, having gone to the second and several of the others in the intervening years. Have a pint for me in Tolvan!

Chris

PS for those who wonder at the utility of a MIDI concertina, they won't let me take a "real" one into the hospital, but a MIDI one I can use with headphones is OK!

April 24-26, 2009,

That clashes with Bielefeld again I believe, which is a shame...

No it doesn't. It's already been. 20. 3 - 22. 3 2009 :lol:

I know you are an hour ahead, Chas, but technically, it's still in the future (just)! :lol:

Anyone packing bags; it's a different location.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Scandinavian Squeeze-In 2009

Heads up!

It's getting closer to SSI time.

Yep.

In fact, our web site says that April 6 was the deadline for booking, but we always seem to allow a little flexibility toward the end.

If there's anyone who would like to come, but hasn't yet booked (i.e., sent an email to tell us so), please do so now.

The main reason for a "deadline" is planning the food, and if you book by this coming weekend (April 19), we'll still be able to fit you in.

Cheers,
Jim

Scandinavian Squeeze-In 2009

If there's anyone who would like to come, but hasn't yet booked (i.e., sent an email to tell us so), please do so now.

The main reason for a "deadline" is planning the food, and if you book by this coming weekend (April 19), we'll still be able to fit you in.

And since that post yesterday, we have booked one more participant, a friend who was with us in the past and suddenly found himself without a conflict. (Murphy's law in reverse? :unsure:)

Yep, it's gonna be fun.
:)