Workshops At Towersey And Bradfield

Friends,

I’ve been invited to be a guest at Towersey Village Festival, 22-25 August. The plan is for me to perform at concerts, sessions and pub stands there and also do a few workshops. What should the workshops be?

So far nothing has been set and I’m trying to get a sense if anyone on the forums would be interested in attending a serious learning situation designed for harmonic playing on the concertina. This could mean just Anglo or would more likely include English and Duet instruments as well. My workshops do not tend to be about learning lots of tunes but rather using a tune to explore musicianship, with an emphasis on rhythm and expression.

I am keen on working at the intermediate to advanced level but would of course teach to the level of the participants. The organizers and I want to offer a workshop that people will want to attend.

Can you help us out? Tell me you would like to be there and post your thoughts to help me design a workshop to suit you. Feel free to contact me personally if you prefer.

If I get no responses then the workshops I offer will be more general. If twenty concertina players would like to learn to play better then I’ll do my best to help them.

Here is one proposal.

Three sequential workshops for C/G Anglo players, intermediate to advanced

Anglo concertina workshop #1

Learn a few great old-time American tunes in the harmonic style.

Anglo concertina workshop #2

Explore and develop the harmonic possibilities of American old-time tunes.

Anglo concertina workshop #3

Flogging the back beat and nailing the groove in American old-time tunes.

This would broadly follow the Palestine Old-Time Music Festival model. Other workshop titles come to mind.

Jon McNamara suggested a catchy title for a workshop that focused on self accompaniment and harmonic playing called, "Playing the instrument - rather than just the tune".

When I’m presented with a learning situation where there are a mix of systems, ability levels and genres, there is a great way I know where everyone can learn from each other in a group lesson.

I have some interesting ideas about how any concertina player at any level or style can improve their playing and practical suggestions about how to do it.

I could also imagine a few one on one lessons, especially if the student was not going to be served by whatever the festival is offering.

Anyone here interested in some serious concertina learning at Towersey?

I will also be at Bradfield on the 8th, 9th, 10th August. There will be much less time for such things there, but if there were interest I would teach a single workshop on saturday afternoon. Mark has graciously given me the go ahead to offer anything that I think might be of interest.

Sadly, I don't think you will find many people with concertinas at Towersey, Jody. It's just not that kind of festival, so I have a feeling that workshop participants will be a bit thin on the ground, compared to Bradfield, which may make it difficult for you to organise anything suitable. Rosie and I will be there however and we both play the English system.

Chris

Count me in for Bradfield Jody

.... but then I bet you could have guessed that :o)

Dave

There may be 'Prebble' ahead.......!

Chris

Prebble choose to ignore this jibe ... far too busy brushing up some monumentally boring, melody only, Irish Reels ... all at double speed ... :ph34r:

Must dash.........................

Dave

Edited by Dave Prebble

hi jody I shall be at bradfield again and would be interested in your workshop.could you let us have the melody lines for the tunes?

and DAVE do you want the ice bucket for your fast reels.!!!

hi jody I shall be at bradfield again and would be interested in your workshop.could you let us have the melody lines for the tunes?

and DAVE do you want the ice bucket for your fast reels.!!!

Eh Up Trooper,

I'll save the ice bucket for the lemonade :o(

Will you be bringing tht young Maestro Mr Dunn ... & any other odd bodies perhaps??

Dave

Well, if my workshop attendees are going to be the likes of Howard Jones, Alan Day and Dave Prebble, who could all teach amazing workshops of their own... how about something really advanced at Bradfield like:

Moving beyond the Um Pa - secrets of the interior harmonies using multi pitch drone buttons.

Yes cplayer, I’ll post some dots for y’all, hold yer horses.