The Irish-on-concertina Discussion

Is "boring" boring?  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Even though this poll is meant tongue-in-cheek, I'll be curious about the results.

Note that I've set the poll to allow you to select more than one answer. That includes contradictions, for those who are so inclined.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I must say, that I find the pole amusing, but getting involved in a good debate has always been a lot fun for me :). I did vote that it was misguided except for my own contribution, but I think I should state that there were other clear thinkers in on the debate, so I really meant that it was misguided except for my contributions and those who agreed with me :). The rest of the posters are obviously tragically misguided and will no doubt be lead to ends that are no doubt terrifying to consider ;).

Personally, the great tragedy of C.net is that there is no way to share pints as we trade our opinions which we so obviously have such a high opinion of :).

--

Bill

Hmm. With 19 voters, there have been 6 votes for "Something other than any of the above", but noone has yet volunteered what their "something other" might be.

Would you care to share? :unsure:

Sad. :(

Guest Peter Laban
While Irish traditional dance music may not have reached the level of development of Indian

classical music, when played well it is a multi-layered music full of subtlety and variation. The

scale of Irish traditional dance music is very different to that of western European art music or

other harmony-based music such as jazz. Both of these musics tend to move in broad harmonic

sweeps. By comparison, Irish traditional dance music changes on a microscopic scale with, for

instance, small variations in the timing of a grace note played at or near the end of a note greatly

altering the effect of the graced note for those who can perceive it. My own personal experience

suggests that those brought up only on harmonic music cannot actually hear all that is going on

in good Irish traditional dance music performance unless they spend a great deal of time

educating their ear.

Sums it up for me.

I think that it's interesting.

First, because concertina is a new instrument for me (well, I bought "she" las september). Second, because I can practise English.

Third, because I am learning a lot of things about the traditions in other countries.

Fourth, because I am meeting a lot of people.

And many other reasons. Yes, I think it's interesting.

24 voters, now.

And five who vote that it's "Not worth a poll" have nevertheless taken part in the poll to tell us so.

What does
that
tell us about human nature?
:unsure:

It tells us that a majority of about 80 percent may think that it is worth a poll.

Re; Bill's complaint that we can't share a pint as we poll...

Well, if we all simply keep a pint handy at all moments while we're logged on, we can do it virtually; it's how we converse, why not let it be one way we imbibe? ;)

Re; Bill's complaint that we can't share a pint as we poll...

Well, if we all simply keep a pint handy at all moments while we're logged on, we can do it virtually; it's how we converse, why not let it be one way we imbibe? ;)

We could compare notes on which pints we were drinking, and debate the relative merits of America, British and European beers (a bit like the English, Anglo, Duet debate!). :)

... My own personal experience

suggests that those brought up only on harmonic music cannot actually hear all that is going on

in good Irish traditional dance music performance unless they spend a great deal of time

educating their ear.

Sums it up for me.

Count me in on the summing up! Different musics do demand different listening habits. And "performance" is a key word.

To my mind, the consequence to be drawn form Laban's quote is that Irish dance music is totally unsuited for a session environment. At least for those sessions where somebody starts a tune and everybody mucks in. The tunes, and the styles of playing them, that we now regard as traditionally Irish originated in a society with a scattered population, where social gatherings were small and musicians were mostly - of necessity - soloists.

And another aspect follows from this: in the old Ireland that I once knew, there was not only a tradition of music-making - there was a tradition of listening, too!

I believe that a main function of music in any culture is to be performed, and to be listened to and enjoyed. (There are other functions, like dance and worship, which are more participatory, but also involve performance and listening.)

Cheers,

John