How About An Mp3 Store Here?

Anyone who is familiar with the Banjo Hangout & the Fiddle Hangout sites, will know that members there can actually download MP3s of their own playing, onto their own members page, where other members can access them.

They also have a wonderful "Jukebox" there, which you can visit & listen to a stream of members MP3s, as you browse the site, forums etc.

So I'm wondering if these options have ever been considered for this site?

Would it actually be possible to add these functions to this site?

If so, would members here like the opportunity of being able to download MP3s of their own playing for other members to check out and would you also enjoy being able to listen to the playing of other members here?

Can you imagine how this might liven up discussions here?

Wouldn't it be great to be able to post an MP3 to back up what you were discussing?

Those Midi Files that we have here are OK in an academic sort of way, I suppose, but you have to admit, there's no pleasure in listening to them, is there?

Cheers

Dick

Anyone who is familiar with the Banjo Hangout & the Fiddle Hangout sites, will know that members there can actually download MP3s of their own playing, onto their own members page, where other members can access them.

They also have a wonderful "Jukebox" there, which you can visit & listen to a stream of members MP3s, as you browse the site, forums etc.

So I'm wondering if these options have ever been considered for this site?

Sounds as if you're not aware of the Recorded Tune Links Page.

It may not be as slick; it's not officially part of this site; and you can't post your own recordings, but have to rely on Henk to do that. But otherwise it sounds similar to what you're proposing. It certainly contains mp3's by many of us members, not just midi files from the Tune-O-Tron.

Now if you were proposing a pay-to-play system, some us might be willing to risk "exposing" our talents to see what others think of our playing as they "vote with their pocketbooks". :)

P.S. When I tried the jukebox at Banjo Hangout, I selected "Newest 100", and the first tune was "Nancy". I wonder what Tom Clough would think of that rendition of the tune he wrote for his wife. :unsure:

If so, would members here like the opportunity of being able to download MP3s of their own playing for other members to check out and would you also enjoy being able to listen to the playing of other members here?

Can you imagine how this might liven up discussions here?

Wouldn't it be great to be able to post an MP3 to back up what you were discussing?

Hey Dick

I agree that having a on-site dump :unsure: for member's mp3s would be fun but I think supporting maintenance and copyright-policing of such a feature is a lot to expect from a couple of concertina-crazed guys involved in the part-time operation of a fee-free site.

It is fun have a post with an mp3 to explain a point during a discussion. Each of us has about 4MBs of uploading capability and some of us have upload soundfiles for that purpose already. I uploaded a snippet trying to aid a member in comparing the scale range of a 30-button C/G to that of his smallpipes and I was using 56kbps dial-up at that. :lol: After the point was made I removed it to have room for posting photos later. Another member posted some files demonstrating rhythmic techniques on an anglo. Those are just a couple of recent examples.

I'd like to see members posting such files more often, ephemeral as those file would be due to storage capacity limitations, because they could make some discussions more dynamic and relevant---even helpful.:lol:

Now if you were proposing a pay-to-play system, some us might be willing to risk "exposing" our talents to see what others think of our playing as they "vote with their pocketbooks". :)
We wouldn't want to risk crashing the site from a long queue at the refund desk, would we, Jim? :ph34r: :lol:

Ah Ha ~ thanks Jim.

Yes that "Recorded Tune Links Page" is exactly what I was thinking of. :rolleyes:

Yes, I see that's loaded with useful & varied examples, that folks could be directed to, during a discussion, if a point needed to be made.

Problem solved! :D

Cheers,

Dick

I agree that having a on-site dump :unsure: for member's mp3s would be fun but I think supporting maintenance and copyright-policing of such a feature is a lot to expect from a couple of concertina-crazed guys involved in the part-time operation of a fee-free site.

You've nailed one consideration for us; policing would be impractical but such an feature would open us up to copyright liability issues. The recording industry (at least in the U.S.) has been aggressive about that. The second consideration is that storage space on servers does cost money. We have managed to keep up with the growing use here by sticking to text and limited upload space. Much thanks goes to our loyal sponsors - do let them know you appreciate their forking over real money to support C.net.

The tune links page was our solution: dispersed or off-board storage, with pointers. Individuals can get server space pretty cheap, easier than we can provide it free to everyone. Hope that works well enough for y'all, squeeze on!

Ken

Hi Guys

Dick Miles mentioned in a post a little while ago this site: http://www.soundlantern.com/Index.do

It looks like an audio hosting site for MP3 files similar to YouTube for videos. Might be worthwhile to use it to create a link, and not take up a limited 4Meg storage space here. Looking through the "Recorded Links Tune Page" looks like most are links to other sites. I don't believe they're all hosted there.

Thanks

Leo :)

Thanks for the link Leo.

I've just joined up & posted a set of Concertina Reels over there.

7.gif The Witch of Glentow / The Black Nun

This "Sound Lantern" site may mean that Henk can now save his valuable space for the most deserving & relevent members MP3s, which are related to our own site here.

Cheers

Dick

Looking through the "Recorded Links Tune Page" looks like most are links to other sites. I don't believe they're all hosted there.

Thanks

Leo :)

Leo

You can check the RTLP and please believe what you see. Most of the files shown in the RTLP are hosted on websites of the "player". It's the charm of internet (linking to..). To give you an idea, have a look at this special page. All links in the "listen to" column that are shown in bold and green are hosted by me (on my website). The main reason for hosting on my site is the fact that the player had not the faintest idea how to upload the soundfile(s) to a website in order to give them an URL.

Henk

Awesome playing.

Glad you liked it. 3.gif

Now I want Anglo and I want to play like you.

Well, you can't have mine! 16.gif

But wait, didn't you use a fair amount of reverb in the recordings?

I especially liked that wonderful round accordion sound of yuor instrument ....

No, I was actually sitting in a cardboard box, in the middle of a forest, when I recorded that track, so it was all perfectly natural .... honest! :D

But seriously, if you are interested, I actually have a few more Concertina tracks posted on that page now, for your perusal.

7.gif Sound Lantern ~ Ptarmigan

By the way, are there any tracks of your own playing, perhaps over on Henk's excellent Recorded Tunes Link Page, that I can check out?

Cheers,

Dick

Of course, if you don't like 'Sound Lantern', you could always check out ezFolk. ;)

7.gif ezFolk ~ Ptarmigan

They have a nice Player option there, which means that once you find an artist whose music you want to listen to, you just start up their player & then you can listen to all their music in a stream, while you go & do something else. Very handy.

Cheers

Dick

By the way, are there any tracks of your own playing, perhaps over on Henk's excellent Recorded Tunes Link Page, that I can check out?

There are, but good is only one. But it's been a long time ago, so I wouldn't advertise now.

I put together some tracks here and there, and offer them mostly for critique.

I'm way behind you in the ease and predictability or smooth sailing.

But I'm working on some program, mostly classical pieces.

Patience.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggg

2.gif

[Ptarmigan wants me to delete this post...but he's already made it clear he made a mistake, and in a humorous way. Do I have to? :)

Ken Coles]

Edited by Ken_Coles
Well, he asked me to...