Finger Use On Low E/f Button On C/g Anglo

I just finished Levy's Anglo tutor, which I found to be a fairly good instruction, with a few good nuggets of wisdom and a few good tunes. In the recorded lessons Levy makes a point to say that the low E/F button in the LH accidental row should only be played with the ring finger, and that using the little finger would result in years of unlearning, rains of frogs, etc.

Is this advice concertina canon, or just Levy's opinion? My little finger seems most comfortable on that far-away button. My hands are average size.

Not seen Bernard Levy's book, but as a player in the 'English' left hand vamp style, I certainly almost always use my little finger on the top left button..... is there a 'right' or 'wrong' in fingering? If it works for you, then who is to say otherwise?

David

I just finished Levy's Anglo tutor, which I found to be a fairly good instruction, with a few good nuggets of wisdom and a few good tunes. In the recorded lessons Levy makes a point to say that the low E/F button in the LH accidental row should only be played with the ring finger, and that using the little finger would result in years of unlearning, rains of frogs, etc.

Is this advice concertina canon, or just Levy's opinion?

His opinion, I would say.

My little finger seems most comfortable on that far-away button. My hands are average size.

Same here, on both counts.

In the recorded lessons Levy makes a point to say that the low E/F button in the LH accidental row should only be played with the ring finger, and that using the little finger would result in years of unlearning, rains of frogs, etc.

Does Bertram really say that ........... ? :huh:

I guess that it's personal preference as much as anything, but I side with Bertram on this one. It's really a question of which other notes are to be fingered at the same time, and playing style.

For me, if I have my ring finger on E/F, I'm likely also to be on the C/D button, which I would finger with the index finger, leaving the second finger to "hovver". If I were to consider using the little finger, and still finger the C/D with my index, that would leave second and ring fingers needing to "hovver", which I find too bunched. For me, the ideal situation is to use the fingers of the left hand either in the natural position (but shifted about the keyboard), or slightly spread. Hope this makes some sense.

Also, using the ring finger on the E/F, I find gives the facility to play faster, if needed. However, for players who use the bass note/chord style, I can see a reason to use the little finger on E/F, which might be described as a more "complete" style.

Peter.

Hi Jim,

I play in the 'English Chordal' style and believe me, the little finger is one of the busiest fingers on the left hand. I play that button almost exclusively with the little finger.

I say almost.... I normally play with the concertina on the knee but after a longish period playing standing the little finger tends to want to support and steady the instrument a little and the ring finger takes over the duty. Likewise the little finger of the right hand will do the same thing on occasion. After years of playing I don't consciously notice when this shift occurs.... it just does. My use of the little finger as a 'brace' is very much the exception rather than the rule.

I would say to you, cultivate the use of the lttle finger as much as you can! Why waste 20% of your left hand assets. .... I say 20% or one fifth, as I also use the thumb a great deal on the drone button either to fill out chords, to get the C on the push or in left hand runs. Again, if you have a drone button on your instrument, employ that thumb and get more mileage from the concertina.

There are no hard and fast rules in anglo playing (unless you are a devout Noel Hill disciple) but a little thought and experimentation will go a long way to build up your own unique style of playing. Most Anglo players in the English style are not 'taught' any method but pick up hints along the way from other players and gain by experimentation. It is a never ending source of delight to me hearing (and seeing) the vast differences in style that folks arrive at.

I guess I'm saying, don't let yourself get too constrained by someone elses methods, try different variations and find out what works for you... oh yes ...and use all them digits !! ;)

Regards

Dave

I had to play a couple of tunes to find out what I do. I found out that I usually use my ring finger on that button. If I use my little finger, the rest of my left hand fingers "hover" in a bad place, out beyond the accidental row. Using the ring finger for that button, my other fingers can more easily reach the other notes I'm most likely to play in a chord, which are in the middle row (for a C chord on the push or an F chord on the pull).

Daniel

In the recorded lessons Levy makes a point to say that the low E/F button in the LH accidental row should only be played with the ring finger, and that using the little finger would result in years of unlearning, rains of frogs, etc.
Does Bertram really say that ........... ? :huh:

I guess that it's personal preference as much as anything, but I side with Bertram on this one. It's really a question of which other notes are to be fingered at the same time, and playing style.

For me, if I have my ring finger on E/F, I'm likely also to be on the C/D button, which I would finger with the index finger, leaving the second finger to "hovver". If I were to consider using the little finger, and still finger the C/D with my index, that would leave second and ring fingers needing to "hovver", which I find too bunched. For me, the ideal situation is to use the fingers of the left hand either in the natural position (but shifted about the keyboard), or slightly spread. Hope this makes some sense.

Also, using the ring finger on the E/F, I find gives the facility to play faster, if needed. However, for players who use the bass note/chord style, I can see a reason to use the little finger on E/F, which might be described as a more "complete" style.

Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

I presume you're refferring to the lowest and furthest away E yeah?

The answer (for me) is actually both little finger and ring finger, but primarily ring finger. If you want to play an E minor or major chord you play the "regular" E with your 2nd finger (not including thumb), the low B with your little finger, and then the octave down E with your ring finger. (And then add a g sharp for E major if you like). If you keep the fingers in the same place and pull, you get a nice F chord.

But if you want to use the low E to beef up an A minor or A major chord on the push, where you're playing "regular" E and A with your 2nd finger, and a low A with your third (ring) finger, as your ring finger is occupied then you've no option but to use your little finger on the low E.

This is actually what I do too. I realized it after I made my earlier post but was too lazy to post a correction.

I also realized that I sometimes use the little finger when the ring finger would work better and am now trying to correct that in my playing.

I presume you're refferring to the lowest and furthest away E yeah?

The answer (for me) is actually both little finger and ring finger, but primarily ring finger. If you want to play an E minor or major chord you play the "regular" E with your 2nd finger (not including thumb), the low B with your little finger, and then the octave down E with your ring finger. (And then add a g sharp for E major if you like). If you keep the fingers in the same place and pull, you get a nice F chord.

But if you want to use the low E to beef up an A minor or A major chord on the push, where you're playing "regular" E and A with your 2nd finger, and a low A with your third (ring) finger, as your ring finger is occupied then you've no option but to use your little finger on the low E.

Edited by Daniel Hersh

I don't know Levy's turor either, but I normally play the button in question with the ring finger.

Different strokes for different folks: and folks differ in the relative length of their fingers! Specifically, the index and ring fingers. Some people - like me - have ring and index fingers the same length. some have the ring shorter than the index. This may make a difference in how you go for the maximum span. On a piano keyboard, I can play an octave + 2 keys cleanly with thumb and ring finger, but not so cleanly with thumb and little finger. If your ring finger is shorter, this may not be the case for you.

Also, I find that, for a nice bass line, I often play the low E/F in the accidentals row and the low C/G in the middle row one after the other, so I use the pinkie in the middle row and the ring in the outer.

Cheers,

John