Name That Tune

Pete Dunk

I came across this tune on another forum, nobody there seems to know what is. Any ideas? an abc would be good too.

Well, the name given on the YouTube snippet seems to mean "Finnish schottische". I know I've heard it -- or a close variant -- many times, probably at dances both in Scandinavia and in America. Like so many dance tunes, I don't remember ever being told its name or origin. But it also evokes other memories, and I'm not sure I didn't first hear it from Russians in the 1960's. (Wouldn't be the first tune to be popular in more than one country. Also, many Finnish traditional tunes have a "Russian" feel to them.)

It has the same atmosphere as the first part of a tune I know from the east part of Finland, with the original name `finnish wedding polka`. I guess I have to live with that title, I have the same question for this one but I suspect i will never find a better name for it...

It has the same atmosphere as the first part of a tune I know from the east part of Finland, with the original name `finnish wedding polka`. I guess I have to live with that title, I have the same question for this one but I suspect i will never find a better name for it...

Some people give names to their concertinas. Others don't.

Some people (I think especially the Irish, English, Scots, and their cultural descendants) give names to their tunes. Others don't.

Some people (I think especially the Irish, English, Scots, and their cultural descendants) give names to their tunes. Others don't.

Some tunes may have more than 14 names, is that also typically Irish, scottish or english? The other way around is also true. Many tunes have the same name. Aren´t there many tunes in Ireland, Scotland and UK called "reel" "slip jig" "gan ainm" "strathspey" "morris dance" and other ? And then there are lots other countries where they use names for tunes (such as in france, the netherlands, flanders, germany, italy, spain, greece, hungary, where does this end?). And in the same countries they also use the name of the dance as title of a tune (maybe relatively more in brittany, balkan countries, finland, sweden, .... ).

But what´s in a name. c´est le ton qui fait la musique (Ton is not a name here...).

Here's an abc file that's quite close to the tune in the clip. (Thanks to Simon at melodeon.net)

X:1

T:Scottisch Finlandaise

M:2/4

L:1/8

K:Dm

"Dm"D2FA|D2FA|"C"G^F GA|"Bb"B2B2|"Dm"A^G Ad|"A"e2f2|AB AG|F2E2|

"Dm"D2FA|D2FA|"C"G^F GA|"Bb"BA GB|"Dm"A^G Ad|"A"eg fe|"Dm"d2AF|D4||

"F"fg fe|"Dm"de dc|"Bb"Bc BA|"C"G2G2|ef ed|cd cB|"F"AAG2|"A"F2E2|

"Dm"d^c de|fe df|"C"G^F GA|"Bb"BA GB|"Dm"A^G Ad|"A"eg fe|"Dm"d2AF|D4||

"F"A2fe|"A"fe "F"dc|"Bb"Bc BA|"C"G2G2|"Dm"DE FB|"A"AG FE|"Dm"DE FG|"A"[F2A2][E2G2]|

"Dm"A2fe|fe dc|"Bb"Bc BA|"C"G2G2|"Bb"DE FB|"A"AG FE|"Dm"D2FA|d4|]