Congratulations To Jim

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, my own titles are in abeyance. Jim came up with that one himself so I put it into the system right away. He will continue to progress through the ranks (black belt = 10,000 posts, perhaps?) and maybe some of us will catch up to him. :P

Jim came up with that one himself so I put it into the system right away.

Actually, I was speculating as to what Ken might have come up with, and that was one of my several speculations.

....At the time I had no idea that Ken would "reward" me with it. :)

actually I found the tag 'chatty concertinist' somewhat, but not quite insulting. Not least because I don't think that concertinist is a 'proper' word; concertina player, well hopefully. Certainly something to aspire to.

Dave

I don't think that concertinist is a 'proper' word...
Well, if it was good enough for Giulio Regondi, and the other 19th century virtuosi ...

(Not forgetting the Oxford English Dictionary.)

not in my copy of the Oxford,...

Well, it is in my 1936 copy of the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary... not as a separate entry, but at the end of the entry for Concertina: "Hence Concertinist."

........FWIW :)

Whatever the word Jim,well done and many thanks for your sometimes amusing,sometimes witty,advice,help,finding the owner of a lost concertina,slapping my wrist when I have been wrong and when I havn`t (but I expect you were right).

Keep up the good work

By the way I am still waiting delivery of my prize for being the one thousanth poster.

Al

Well, it is in my 1936 copy of the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary... not as a separate entry, but at the end of the entry for Concertina:  "Hence Concertinist."

And that's only the Bantamweight Edition !

The 20 volume, Heavyweight version, of the O.E.D. (you'll have to get that one now Jim !), 2nd Edition, 1989, gives :

"Hence concertinist, a player on the concertina.

1880 Daily Tel. 7 Sept. The concertinist is ... the best masthead man of the fleet."

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Stephen,

mine is a 1975 vintage (with pictures), and does not have your quotation: "Hence concertinist, a player on the concertina."

but it does say (under "concertina"):

"~ v. Shut up like a concertina", so I shall!

ps. still don't like the word, and then with the added adjective 'chatty', well................

Dave :(

Hmmm...Maybe we should go back to ordinary titles, though it can be hard to find enough adjectives. In a vague attempt to be humorous, I have learned that it seems very tricky to choose titles that would please everyone. But the old titles weren't universally popular either. (This reminds me of teaching!) If I could customize yours, Dave, I certainly would (conversant concertina player?). But the system doesn't let me do that.

The only answer is to have another tune on the concertina!

Ken

If I could customize  yours, Dave, I certainly would (conversant concertina player?).

Considering his avatar, how about "Cutaway Concertinist"?

....Oops! He wouldn't like that, would he. ;)

How about "Concertina Cutup"?

Hey Dave, can you do us a similar picture of the concertina's predecessor?

On second thought, we should get Brian H. to do that, so we could call it...

... "Hayden's Unfinished Symphonium".

(Sorry. Best I could do with no Forum members named Schubert. :) )