Concertina Bellows

hi, i dont know if anyone can help. i am new to the world of concertinas and concertina playing, and have recently aquired a 48 key english Lachenal. i was told it has just been fitted with new bellows which, on appearance, looks very possible.

my question is is there any way of stopping them sweaking, its almost like they need oiling, its very loud when near a recording mic. i would be very grateful if some one could help?

secondly some notes are much louder than others, sometimes when i play more than 2 notes at a time the 3rd doesnt always sound. is this due to the direction of the push and pull or the quality on the instrument or how im playing it or is this normal.

thanks in advance for any help

ben

I too have a newly-restored Lachenal, with bellows from Connor that creak a bit. I haven't tried this yet, but I'm about to, and this may work. I have some Fredelka leather preservative (as recommended by Colin Dipper, my local guru) which I intend to apply to the joints of the bellows to see if this will ease the problem.

Chris

I too have a newly-restored Lachenal, with bellows from Connor that creak a bit. I haven't tried this yet, but I'm about to, and this may work. I have some Fredelka leather preservative (as recommended by Colin Dipper, my local guru) which I intend to apply to the joints of the bellows to see if this will ease the problem.

Chris,

If John Connor is still making bellows the traditional way, which he learnt at Crabb's, then they are only stuck together with flour and water glue (paste). I really wouldn't recommend going near them with any liquid preparation, or the joins might start to seperate.

If John Connor is still making bellows the traditional way, which he learnt at Crabb's, then they are only stuck together with flour and water glue (paste). I really wouldn't recommend going near them with any liquid preparation, or the joins might start to seperate.

Have no fear, Fredelka is not water-based but wax-based.

Chris

As Jim says, this was discussed last year, and I offer the same advice as then.

The noise/ creaking can only arise from an unlubricated rubbing movement of two components against each other: either you have an area with glue failure, but you are reporting no leaks; or more likely there is an unlubricated rubbing occuring in the folds of the bellows gussets.

I use Meltonian shoe cream (wax based) to keep the gussets supple and to lubricate in the folds.

Dave

This subject was also discussed back in November.

To view that Topic, click here.

And to comment on my results, from that topic.....

The neutral shoe polish worked well (this is US paste type polish.)

I have since discovered that if I keep my concertina in the room with the humidifer running, vs. the sunny dry room - the squeaking stops. (Read the recent posts on storing your concertina.)

I used the polish VERY sparingly! (And had a sleepless night, wondering if my bellows were going to be in pieces in the morning - but they are fine.)

Good luck!