Mike Stand Drink Holders

One of the problems with on stage playing particularly with a big band is that almost every gig someone knocks or kicks a drink over ,covering the stage with a pint of beer. One of our musicians turned up last night with a drink holder that clips on the mike stand,this is similar to those which fit on push bikes.

Fantastic I am getting one next week.

Al

One of the problems with on stage playing particularly with a big band is that almost every gig someone knocks or kicks a drink over ,covering the stage with a pint of beer. One of our musicians turned up last night with a drink holder that clips on the mike stand,this is similar to those which fit on push bikes.

Doesn't that assume that the mike stand is sufficiently stable that it won't topple and spill your drink when you bump against either the stand or the holder? :unsure:

ALAN AND FOLKS: there is an alternative: ABSTAIN............allan

Hmmmm - it's strange.

I read each word individually and I understand each one's meaning.

I read the words together as a whole sentence and they seem to make no sense at all! :wacko:

One of our musicians turned up last night with a drink holder that clips on the mike stand,this is similar to those which fit on push bikes.

That's what I like to hear, Alan, someone who can multi-task; playing concertina, whilst sitting on a bike, on stage!

Careful, though, drink and electrics don't mix too well if things go wrong. An alternative, of course, is to find a tankard which is heavy enough to avoid being kicked over.

The smart alternative, as long as you don't sit back in your chair, is a camelback. :)

Good luck!

Peter.

The smart alternative, as long as you don't sit back in your chair, is a camelback. :)

Peter.

This is a total diversion not involving concertinas, but Peter's last comment reminded me of an epidode from a TV series in which Phil Cunningham, accordion player, explored how Scottish music had travelled around the world. In one scene he was standing in a desert scene. The camera panned back, and around the corner came the Royal Oman Camel-mounted Police Pipes and Drums!!!

- John Wild

The holder will actually take quite nicely a bottle of water.

Knowing the person who purchased this drink holder however I would expect that he is now looking for large straws so that he can drink and play at the same time.

Surely a Morris Musicians dream.

Al

Knowing the person who purchased this drink holder however I would expect that he is now looking for large straws so that he can drink and play at the same time.

That's why I suggested the camelback!

I've seen these holders before-- Gaelic Storm always has them in concert...

However, I agree with Allan here.

Some of us don't need mind altering alcohol to act...strange. :ph34r: :P

Here's another possibility: Pianists often have an official "page turner" to turn over the pages of the music for them and allow the pianist's both hands to remain at the keyboard. So why not get (hire?) someone as an official "drink holder"? They could even tip the drink to your lips while you're playing, so no need for an awkward straw. :) (Besides, beer doesn't taste the same through a straw.)

WOODY AND FOLKS: that's because you have to read them backwards in order to make sentence out the "Gestalt"........allan

allan............ABSTAIN alternative: an is there FOLKS: AND ALAN ???????????????????

I think I'd need to have a few before I found more meaning here. :P

Back to the original post - I think I have the answer

FOLKS: once again, Fiddlehead Fern and I are on the same page. . . . . . .yesterday was "opening day" at New York's Shea Stadium. . . . .the New York Mets (we have a sport here called BASEBALL) were playing their home opener for the new season (they lost). . . . .the point, though, is this: i went into my office that morning on the Long Island Railroad (a commuter railroad). . . . .i caught a 9:48 A.M. train. . . . . .when I changed at a stop called Jamaica for the train to Penn Station, there were loads of people heading for Shea Stadium. . . . . .some of the them were already tipsy (approximately 10:15 A.M.). . . .others were holding NOT six-packs of beer, but EIGHTEEN-packs of beer. . . .i didn't even know there was such a thing. . . . .but the joke is on them: if i'm not mistaken, you cannot bring either bottled or canned liquids into Shea Stadium. . . ..they get confiscated. . . . . .the moral of the story, of course: he or she who drinks on the bandstand will have his or her concertina confiscated. . . . . .now this should set off an uproar. . . . . .for once, i'll not have killed a thread. . . . . .and think of all those calories......................better to eat the concertina. . . .allan

Edited by allan atlas

FOLKS: once again, Fiddlehead Fern and I are on the same page. . . . . . .yesterday was "opening day" at New York's Shea Stadium. . . . .the New York Mets (we have a sport here called BASEBALL) were playing their home opener for the new season (they lost). . . . .the point, though, is this: i went into my office that morning on the Long Island Railroad (a commuter railroad). . . . .i caught a 9:48 A.M. train. . . . . .when I changed at a stop called Jamaica for the train to Penn Station, there were loads of people heading for Shea Stadium. . . . . .some of the them were already tipsy (approximately 10:15 A.M.). . . .others were holding NOT six-packs of beer, but EIGHTEEN-packs of beer. . . .i didn't even know there was such a thing. . . . .but the joke is on them: if i'm not mistaken, you cannot bring either bottled or canned liquids into Shea Stadium. . . ..they get confiscated. . . . . .the moral of the story, of course: he or she who drinks on the bandstand will have his or her concertina confiscated. . . . . .now this should set off an uproar. . . . . .for once, i'll not have killed a thread. . . . . .and think of all those calories......................better to eat the concertina. . . .allan

Tried that.

The reeds get stuck in your teeth

Al