Behold! An R. Morse & Co. C/g Anglo For Sale!

Laitch

Very nice sound!

It differs from my Albion though.

Has the sound been deliberately changed or "improved" in later models?

That's the sound of my preference, full and rich, not nasal, very accordionish (a compliment).

Very nice sound!

That's the sound of my preference, full and rich, not nasal, very accordionish (a compliment).

To me, sounding like an accordion is not really a compliment for a concertina. That's like telling an oboeist she sounds like a clarinettist. Both are lovely instruments, but have distinct sounds which are part of their respective charms.

While the Button Box concertinas have always sounded good, the later models IMHO sound more like traditionally-reeded instruments than the earlier models. And I think that's a good thing.

For the record, the Button Box only makes quality instruments, and I've happily played a few of the olders models and think they can be very good if you're looking to step up from a Stagi/Rochelle/Bastari. I haven't played Laitch's instrument, so I'm not making any recommendation for or against its purchase.

Very nice sound!

To me, sounding like an accordion is not really a compliment for a concertina. That's like telling an oboeist she sounds like a clarinettist. Both are lovely instruments, but have distinct sounds which are part of their respective charms.

While the Button Box concertinas have always sounded good, the later models IMHO sound more like traditionally-reeded instruments than the earlier models. And I think that's a good thing.

For the record, the Button Box only makes quality instruments, and I've happily played a few of the olders models and think they can be very good if you're looking to step up from a Stagi/Rochelle/Bastari. I haven't played Laitch's instrument, so I'm not making any recommendation for or against its purchase.

If I had that instrument my first project would be Woodchoppers reel because of the french accordion sound I hear as well. I think I will learn woodcoppers anyway on my Rochelle, I forgot about this tune.

Very nice sound!

Sorry, but I can't hear anything vaguely accordion in the sound clip of this concertina.

Or, for that matter, in the sound of my own Morse Ceili.

What sort of accordions are you comparing it to? Certainly none of the ones I've encountered in 30+ years as a tuner and player.

MC

Very nice sound!

Sorry, but I can't hear anything vaguely accordion in the sound clip of this concertina.

What sort of accordions are you comparing it to? Certainly none of the ones I've encountered in 30+ years as a tuner and player.

MC

My ears have nothing to do with you being tuner or player. I have very nice sounding little Schweizerorgele and it sounds much like that Morse. And why accordion reeded little 6 sided instrument should sound any different from accordion reeded little square instrument?

But really, for an instrument being an accordion simply means to have buttons on one side, that are connected to several reeds, making the chord. That's the most drastic difference. All the rest is marginal.

PS.

A concertina is small, 6 sided, single voice, stringent sounding push/pull instrument for Irish traditional music.

PPS.

An accordion is large, shiny, with piano keys and gazillion buttons on the other end, for playing jazz from the 50es.

Edited by m3838

A concertina is small, 6 sided, single voice, stringent sounding push/pull instrument for Irish traditional music.

Wrong.

Irish music is just one use. It is also used for song accompaniment, English music and a number of other uses too. You'd have to be somewhat narrow to think it's only used for Irish music.

Similarly for accordions. What would Jimmy Shand have said!

Edited by Paul Read

Very nice sound!

MC

My ears have nothing to do with you being tuner or player. I have very nice sounding little Schweizerorgele and it sounds much like that Morse. And why accordion reeded little 6 sided instrument should sound any different from accordion reeded little square instrument?

But really, for an instrument being an accordion simply means to have buttons on one side, that are connected to several reeds, making the chord. That's the most drastic difference. All the rest is marginal.

PS.

PPS.

An accordion is large, shiny, with piano keys and gazillion buttons on the other end, for playing jazz from the 50es.

Ah, so your Schweizerorgele sounds like a concertina, does it? Hmmm. :blink:

So if you want to play an instrument that sounds like a concertina, why not play a concertina rather than an accordion?

I know this bloke who has a nice Morse Ceili for sale at $1,100.... :lol:

Edited by malcolm clapp

I respect the tuner/repairers opinion, but it does not have the honk of some vintage concertinas. It's a mellower sound that we wouldn't equate with a vintage concertina. No of course it doesn't sound exactly like an accordion, but there are a whole lot of accordions and accordion tunings anyway.

It sounded accordionish to me on first hearing, I'll stand by that. I've played accordion before, but take into account the player's song choice and attitude. If he played a reel, it's more familiar territory for some of us.

I dunno and I don't care, it sounds good, and I wish I had this Morse.

Edited by stevejay

I respect the tuner/repairers opinion, but it does not have the honk of some vintage concertinas. It's a mellower sound that we wouldn't equate with a vintage concertina.

Who are "we"?

C'mon, Steve, not all vintage concertinas -- not even all vintage
anglos
-- are honkin' Jeffries.

Your word "some" is the right one, though your second sentence sounds as if you wouldn't "equate" a singer-friendly vintage Jones anglo with "a vintage concertina". :huh:

Wrong.

Irish music is just one use. It is also used for song accompaniment, English music and a number of other uses too. You'd have to be somewhat narrow to think it's only used for Irish music.

Er, yes, but Misha's PS and PPS were (to my eyes) clearly meant ironically--he's presumably well aware of your points above...

Wrong.

Er, yes, but Misha's PS and PPS were (to my eyes) clearly meant ironically--he's presumably well aware of your points above...

I wasn't over-serious myself........

Wrong.

I wasn't over-serious myself........

Fair enough (though as you can tell, I didn't succeed in seeing that on my own--oh well).