Behold! An R. Morse & Co. C/g Anglo For Sale!

Laitch

A concertina is small, 6 sided, single voice, stringent sounding push/pull instrument for Irish traditional music.

Wrong.

Irish music is just one use. It is also used for song accompaniment, English music and a number of other uses too. You'd have to be somewhat narrow to think it's only used for Irish music.

Similarly for accordions. What would Jimmy Shand have said!

Er, yes, but Misha's PS and PPS were (to my eyes) clearly meant ironically--he's presumably well aware of your points above...

I wasn't over-serious myself........

Fair enough (though as you can tell, I didn't succeed in seeing that on my own--oh well).

Easy mistake with written stuff when not face to face. Also easy to misunderstand when stuff is written by someone using a second language so I can see how you might think I misunderstood his posting (assuming it was ironic ) :unsure:

Also easy to misunderstand when stuff is written by someone using a second language so I can see how you might think I misunderstood his posting (assuming it was ironic ) :unsure:

Ironic???

I wasn't. Concertina IS 6-sided and it IS used in ITM adn who is Jimmy Shand? Does he play that shiny Accordion with piano keys?

And what second language are you talking about?

And....................... Urghh, enough of this jokes spewing. Boy, have I missed my career in the Catskills!

On the other hand...

Also easy to misunderstand when stuff is written by someone using a second language so I can see how you might think I misunderstood his posting (assuming it was ironic ) :unsure:

Ironic???

I wasn't. Concertina IS 6-sided and it IS used in ITM adn who is Jimmy Shand? Does he play that shiny Accordion with piano keys?

And what second language are you talking about?

And....................... Urghh, enough of this jokes spewing. Boy, have I missed my career in the Catskills!

On the other hand...

Well that clears it up :P You must look Jimmy Shand up on the internet. He was a Scottish legend on the accordion way back . Very dated now though.

Well that clears it up :P You must look Jimmy Shand up on the internet. He was a Scottish legend on the accordion way back . Very dated now though.

I have two of his CDs and when I was searching for a chromatic accordion, they had Shand at Lark in the Morning. I had no idea of the system, but was very close to bying it.

I respect the tuner/repairers opinion, but it does not have the honk of some vintage concertinas. It's a mellower sound that we wouldn't equate with a vintage concertina.

Who are "we"?

C'mon, Steve, not all vintage concertinas -- not even all vintage
anglos
-- are honkin' Jeffries.

Your word "some" is the right one, though your second sentence sounds as if you wouldn't "equate" a singer-friendly vintage Jones anglo with "a vintage concertina". :huh:

I find the debate between mellow/honk etc a bit interesting. Well-made accordion-reeded concertinas are usually pretty loud, even if they're not quite to the level of a Jeffries. To my mind, the difference is more in the quality of the sound. To my ear, accordion reeds give you a brighter, sharper, sometimes harsher sound, while concertina reeds are are darker, more rounded. It might have something to do with overtones and number of reeds - in an accordion (correct me if I'm wrong) each note is actually played by multiple reeds, sometimes in an octave. I think that balances the sound differently. Concertina reeds are meant to sound a certain way individually, and therefore use different overtones and sympathetic harmonies etc.

I could be totally off base here, but that's been my experience. What I think is so wonderful about the modern "mid-range" makers is that they've found a way, using high-end accordion reeds and engineering, is to come very close to the sound of a traditionally-reeded concertina. They really can't be praised enough for what they've done to make concertinas more affordable and spread this wonderful disease, I mean hobby, of concertina playing.

I could be totally off base here, but that's been my experience. What I think is so wonderful about the modern "mid-range" makers is that they've found a way, using high-end accordion reeds and engineering, is to come very close to the sound of a traditionally-reeded concertina. They really can't be praised enough for what they've done to make concertinas more affordable and spread this wonderful disease, I mean hobby, of concertina playing.

And to include in this wonderful family Bandoneons and Chemnitzers, multi-voice large duets or other systems. This discussion re-surfaces regularly, but the main issue in concertina community nowadays is awareness of other concertinas around. Because you sound just like I joked earlier: that concertinas are such and such. No, they are not, and there is no such thing as concertina reed. How many times we should debate the same thing only to find out, that in the end people don't learn anything.

What would you call large square, multy-voice Anglo, with reeds on long zinc plates? And how about Crane duet with the same appearance and make? and what about single voice Chromatic accordions with only free bass, like Pigini's "Peter Pen"?

Consider that single reed in large PA may sound much mellower, than the most mellow concertina, if it's in a reed chamber.

The whole debate of this sort is a bogus. :blink:

Pigini's "Peter Pen"

Has anyone seen the instruction manual? The concept seems kind of awkward.

What do you mean "instruction manual"? It's just a free bass single voice small accordion.

One of my pals, Moshe Braner, has it or had it for quite a while, and seemed to be in good favor of it.

What do you mean "instruction manual"? It's just a free bass single voice small accordion.
It seems I don't take to Mishonics as my third language. :lol:

One of my pals, Moshe Braner, has it or had it for quite a while, and seemed to be in good favor of it.
His is the "Tidy Bowl White" model, isn't it? He's a good player. I've heard him at sessions in Burlington, Vermont and the NESI, I think.

It seems I don't take to Mishonics as my third language. :lol:

His is the "Tidy Bowl White" model, isn't it? He's a good player. I've heard him at sessions in Burlington, Vermont and the NESI, I think.

It is a white model, yes.

Interesting how people from the old squeezebox newsgroup surface elsewhere.

I edited this post today by adding a few photos and accurately describing wear of the concertina.

I'm selling my R. Morse & Co. Céilí C/G Jeffries-layout Anglo that was built in 1999. I'm its original owner. The concertina's serial number is 007; the instrument comes with all the implied rights, responsibilities and privileges related to that number but with no destructive devices. :lol: This Céilí and other early model Céilís differ from later models by having riveted stainless steel lever actions instead of riveted brass rod lever actions. Button bushings weren't standard until #200 or so. The Button Box installed button bushings at my request a few years ago. Other than that it's the same as when it left the loving hands of their tuning technician except that I've played hell out of it. I've got another Céilí, #234, so I'm in good shape, if that's important to anyone.

Here's a sound file of a tune that I recorded yesterday using a decrepit iRiver iFP 890 mp3 recorder set at 44KHz/320KBPS, a Sony ECM-MS907 condenser mic, and 3oz of a neighbor's Redbreast whiskey. I'm playing my version of Germain LeDuc's "Polka Yvon Cuillerier." Mr. Leduc kindly has given me permission to flog his copyrighted tune here. Mr. Leduc is a fiddler, pianist, music teacher and composer based in Québéc, Canada who makes some fine tunes. Some of his work, including this tune as played by him on fiddle, is at the website of Les Danseurs et Musiciens de L'Ile Jesus.

Prospective buyers then will see that my brutal technique has worn through the finish of the ends around the buttons in a lot of places (the marks are made from finger impacts not from fingernails) and that there is slight wear of the bellows at one angle of its connection to both the right and left ends. On the up-side, it's never been immersed it in liquids or flung into a space with a lacrosse stick for shotgunning practice and I've always kept it indoors in its case when not playing it.

007's $1100US price includes its lockable hard case. The sale duration is dependent in part upon the effects of global warming on the life-span of humans interested in buying this concertina. Contact me by personal message or email through C.net. This Céilí would be a lovely gift for yourself, your dear parent, child, insignificant/significant other, and would be a useful object on which to practice your wood refinishing skills. When you buy it let everyone know you rescued it in the nick of time from continued abuse by a chainsaw operator.

The happy buyer will pay me in person or through a Paypal account at the eBay store of one of my friends. If the concertina is to be shipped, the buyer will pay for all shipping costs. Shipping insurance at full value will be mandatory. I sent a small button accordion to Newry, Northern Ireland two years ago Christmas time by US Postal Service and Royal Mail. At that time shipping and insurance cost around $85US. It arrived undamaged in one week but it languished in a Customs warehouse over there for an additional week until the workers had finished eating all their holiday biscuits and got around to calling in the buyer for the requisite paperwork and financial reaming. I'll send it via FedEx in North America. Any buyer able to drive on a well-maintained mountain dirt road surface that's currently alternating from skating rink to mud wallow can pick it up in person and will receive a complimentary café cubano or a shot of bourbon on arrival. C.net will be sent a donation.

Maybe I'm getting a tin ear...I own Morse Ceili, 036, is a fairly early one. When I try the recent ones, they feel and sound remarkably similar. I think they have been very consistent, and my impression is that this is the intent of Rich and Co. Mine has played in a bit and perhaps changed in sound slightly, but all decent boxes do that.

I guess I should be happy my ears are not so discerning as some of yours are; I'll be easier to please! B)

Ken

And promptly received!

Unfortunately the stylish moose insignia from the inside of the case wasn't included, but Laitch had the bellows fixed up un-asked, so it works out ok :lol: A big thanks on that Laitch--an entirely gracious thing to do. He even put up with my miserable puns about the serial number 007, which gets him through the first stage of canonicization. Laitch may take exception to being "The Venerable Laitch", but he'll have to talk to the Vatican about that...

I look forward to learning some tunes on my first 'tina and getting to know y'all better.

Kiester