Playing Tunes

Bob Norris

Hi,

Quick history. We play Ceilidh Band with smallpipes fiddles ect. I rented a G/D anglo from the button box as to stay in key with the pipes.

Ive been learning some of our tunes (my hands are killing me ;) ) It seems as though all (almost) the keys I need are the left hand bottom row with the exception of our low g which I play on the left, second row second button from the top. So far I haven't used any of the buttons on the right. All the left notes are in tune with the pipes and I have been able to play some of our tunes (slowly) but it seems as though the right buttons are not or are higher. Any suggestions?

Thanks! (Soaking my hands;) )

Hi,

Quick history. We play Ceilidh Band with smallpipes fiddles ect. I rented a G/D anglo from the button box as to stay in key with the pipes.

Ive been learning some of our tunes (my hands are killing me ;) ) It seems as though all (almost) the keys I need are the left hand bottom row with the exception of our low g which I play on the left, second row second button from the top. So far I haven't used any of the buttons on the right. All the left notes are in tune with the pipes and I have been able to play some of our tunes (slowly) but it seems as though the right buttons are not or are higher. Any suggestions?

Oh O,,, Found some buttons on the right side ;) This G/D 20button plays mostly on the rows for me. This is good :) I have a 30 key G/C coming,, bet it wont play straight down the rows for me. I may end up putting that one away till I can do something with the 20 key,,,,,Bob thinks (Quiete Latch ;) out loud

Hi,

Oh O,,, Found some buttons on the right side ;) This G/D 20button plays mostly on the rows for me. This is good :) I have a 30 key G/C coming,, bet it wont play straight down the rows for me. I may end up putting that one away till I can do something with the 20 key,,,,,Bob thinks (Quite Latch ;) out loud

Hello,

Well I have now found all the buttons necessary to play (accompany) tunes on the left hand side. What I'm thinking of doing is practicing scales (the bagpipe scales) then matching the keys with my pipe music. Would this be a good way to learn?

I have been messing about with a few of our tunes and can play a few rif's but because Im not familiar with the push-pull and key position Im missing allot.

Also,, Since I have found all the keys on the left does that mean I can find the same combinations on the right also? And what about cords?

20 key G/D Anglo

What I'm thinking of doing is practicing scales (the bagpipe scales) then matching the keys with my pipe music. Would this be a good way to learn?
Yes, maybe, if I'm getting your drift.

Since I have found all the keys on the left does that mean I can find the same combinations on the right also?
50/50 odds, Bob.:lol: Consult your keyboard chart.

And what about cords?
They're in there somewhere.:lol: Power chords (chords (triads) without thirds) work well with pipe tunes.

Hey, Bob, there's a little edit I threw in there to clarify something.

Edited by Laitch

Ive been learning some of our tunes (my hands are killing me ;) )

Your hands should not hurt. Perhaps you're holding the instrument wrong? You should tells us details of what parts of your hands hurt and whether it's particularly under certain motions. Then maybe we can give advice to reduce the pain.

It seems as though all (almost) the keys I need are the left hand bottom row with the exception of our low g which I play on the left, second row second button from the top. So far I haven't used any of the buttons on the right. All the left notes are in tune with the pipes and I have been able to play some of our tunes (slowly) but it seems as though the right buttons are not or are higher. Any suggestions?

Each row in the right hand has notes of the same scale as the corresponding left-hand row, but higher. In each row, the main notes in the right hand are an octave higher than in the left, though not arranged precisely the same, the pull notes being shifted relative to the push notes.

So you should be able to play all the same tunes in the right hand as you can in the left, but an octave higher than your pipes. Maybe you could think of it as being equivalent to a set of "smaller" pipes. :)

If you work up some tunes until you can play them separately in each hand, then you could try playing them in both hands at once, for a nice double-octave effect.

I have a 30 key G/C coming,, bet it wont play straight down the rows for me.

Not in the same key as your pipes, no.

I may end up putting that one away till I can do something with the 20 key,,,,,

Sounds like a reasonable plan.

And what about cords?

Chords will be trickier than the melody. Depending on what chords you want, you're likely to find that 1) you won't find them in a line in the row where you're playing melody, 2) they might be in the opposite bellows direction from the melody, and 3) one or more of them may require notes that you just don't have on your 20-button G/D.

I recommend that you just experiment with pressing buttons ("additional" buttons if you're trying to play melody and chords together on the concertina) while you work the bellows, learn which combinations sound good and which don't, and in the future use the ones that "work" and avoid the ones that don't. If you have trouble finding what you want, then I think it would be reasonable to postpone chord work until you start working with the 30-button C/G, which offers more possibilities.

Ive been learning some of our tunes (my hands are killing me ;) )

Your hands should not hurt. Perhaps you're holding the instrument wrong? You should tells us details of what parts of your hands hurt and whether it's particularly under certain motions. Then maybe we can give advice to reduce the pain.

It seems as though all (almost) the keys I need are the left hand bottom row with the exception of our low g which I play on the left, second row second button from the top. So far I haven't used any of the buttons on the right. All the left notes are in tune with the pipes and I have been able to play some of our tunes (slowly) but it seems as though the right buttons are not or are higher. Any suggestions?

Each row in the right hand has notes of the same scale as the corresponding left-hand row, but higher. In each row, the main notes in the right hand are an octave higher than in the left, though not arranged precisely the same, the pull notes being shifted relative to the push notes.

So you should be able to play all the same tunes in the right hand as you can in the left, but an octave higher than your pipes. Maybe you could think of it as being equivalent to a set of "smaller" pipes. :)

If you work up some tunes until you can play them separately in each hand, then you could try playing them in both hands at once, for a nice double-octave effect.

I have a 30 key G/C coming,, bet it wont play straight down the rows for me.

Not in the same key as your pipes, no.

I may end up putting that one away till I can do something with the 20 key,,,,,

Sounds like a reasonable plan.

And what about cords?

Chords will be trickier than the melody. Depending on what chords you want, you're likely to find that 1) you won't find them in a line in the row where you're playing melody, 2) they might be in the opposite bellows direction from the melody, and 3) one or more of them may require notes that you just don't have on your 20-button G/D.

I recommend that you just experiment with pressing buttons ("additional" buttons if you're trying to play melody and chords together on the concertina) while you work the bellows, learn which combinations sound good and which don't, and in the future use the ones that "work" and avoid the ones that don't. If you have trouble finding what you want, then I think it would be reasonable to postpone chord work until you start working with the 30-button C/G, which offers more possibilities.

Hi Jim,

I have rather large hands. The strap is right over my knuckles. How tight should it be? I guess the biggest problem/pain is in my old fingers. Years of playing pipes "keep those fingers straight or Ill beat ya" Other then that Im enjoying playing it. I can get off some tunes, even at tempo but without embellishments (if thats what you call it in concertina land.) Im still waiting for my books and lesson DVD's to show up. I bet those will help.