Famous Irish Band

Hello all.

A friend of mine told me in conversation, that she (it's she) remembers listening to some Irish recording in 1988, while in Russia, where singing was done at least partially in Gaelic, and where musicians were joking with the audience (all in Gaelic) and where audience was singing with them (also in Gaelic).

Given that most of Irish people speak English, and only small percentage spoke Gaelic (according to my friend, whose son is specializing in Irish culture and history - 2-4 %, at least in 1988), can we name a few very famous Irish groups, that had a chance to be known far away from Ireland in 1988-ish, as far as Russia.

Something like "From Ireland with Love".

They were men, included pipes, and the songs were encompassing fast and slow airs.

One song was sang with only the drum accompaniment, one - a-capella. And they were not Dubliners.

She lives in Saint-Petersburg, her son is a linguist, specializing in Irish Culture and language ethymology.

She would really like to find the group.

Is it possible?

Thanks.

Are you sure it was Irish Gaelic?

Clannad would seem to be the obvious answer except for the pipes, another possibility would be Altan

If it were Scots Gaelic it could possibly be Cappercaille

The Chieftans?

They certainly had pipes - does she remember a harp (Derek Bell)

I'll ask.

I sent her the web address of "Chieftains" and "he Bothy Band".

I thought of Chieftains too, been the only name widely recognised outside the Irish Fan circle.

They even released new album in 1987, when they went to China. So probably it is the same one, been listened to in 1988. If it is a hit - my hat is off to you. But let's wait a few days.

• 1 month later...
Hello all.

A friend of mine told me in conversation, that she (it's she) remembers listening to some Irish recording in 1988, while in Russia, where singing was done at least partially in Gaelic, and where musicians were joking with the audience (all in Gaelic) and where audience was singing with them (also in Gaelic).

Given that most of Irish people speak English, and only small percentage spoke Gaelic (according to my friend, whose son is specializing in Irish culture and history - 2-4 %, at least in 1988), can we name a few very famous Irish groups, that had a chance to be known far away from Ireland in 1988-ish, as far as Russia.

Something like "From Ireland with Love".

They were men, included pipes, and the songs were encompassing fast and slow airs.

One song was sang with only the drum accompaniment, one - a-capella. And they were not Dubliners.

She lives in Saint-Petersburg, her son is a linguist, specializing in Irish Culture and language ethymology.

She would really like to find the group.

Is it possible?

Thanks.

when first I read this several weeks ago, for some reason my first thought was The Clancy Brothers, they had a reunion about 1992 (Tommy Makem and Liam Clancy) this clip is from much earlier, but may be illustrative of a live concert from the Clancys. (it may have been a recording earlier than the 1980's she heard even though it was played at that time)

Links:

Edited by Hooves