Need A Source Of Baize/felt

The topic header says it all. I am looking for a source of the felt used for bushings, also known as baize, preferably in red but any colour is acceptable. I have plenty in 1mm (.040") and .8mm (.032") but want some in .5mm (.020")

Can anyone help..?

Chris

Didn't we speak about this at Lithgow? I was talking about the need for thin felt bush for the very small holes in the buttons of my Jeffries G/D. I seem to remember you saying at Lithgow you had a small amount of .5mm that had originally come from a red 19th century uniform.

For anyone interested the buttons are roughly 4mm, the rods are slightly under 2mm, the holes through the buttons are about 2.5mm or so, and the thinnest felt I have is .8mm, way too thick. Sorry about the approximations but the real figures are not to hand. What do others do..?

Chris

Edited by Chris Ghent

Chris,

I might consider sending (begging) my good lady to visit her favourite fabric and appolstery shop, (with me in atttendance with a vernier caliper) to find some tight woven or velvet like material of a suitable thickness, or indeed any thing else that might do, and then try the fabric out. I think that the baize material was used because of its availability, compressibility and thickness. If the thickness is reduced, why stick with baize?

Dave

Dave,

quite right, I hadn't considered anything else. I suppose lacking the reasons why the old and wise ones chose baize, and lacking the time and means to do experiments on every aspect, I am trying to copy as much as I can..!

The tuft in baize is wool, I think, whereas other upholstery fabrics are likely to be cotton and linen.

What do you use for bushings in small buttons..?

Chris

Another name used for baize is woven felt and I understand that this is a mix of natural fibres including wool.

Up to now, when I needed it, I managed to get a small amount of very thin stuff from a local piano tuner, but I have no other source to hand.

So what is wrong in using more cotton or heavy linen? given that the weight is right? I am sure that the golden oldies would have used what ever worked from a fairly limited range of options.

I still advise delegation, I would 'beg' my good lady, who knows more about fabric than I will ever do, to talk to her contacts. Not being too sexist but do any dress/ clothing making concertina players have any ideas? light tweeds, worsteds etc etc??

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

I have had very good service from Anglo Felts in Rochdale. If they have anything suitable they might well be prepared to send you a sample which would be enough to do the job. See their web site for contact details.

Theo

• 3 weeks later...
....the rods are slightly under 2mm, the holes through the buttons are about 2.5mm or so.......

Hi Chris

Sorry to seem dense, but if you only have 0.5mm or so clearance and you are effectively putting two thicknesses of felt through the hole, then shouldn't you be looking for felt a bit thinner than 0.5mm i.e circa 0.3mm before allowing for compression :blink:

Pete

....the rods are slightly under 2mm, the holes through the buttons are about 2.5mm or so.......

Hi Chris

Sorry to seem dense, but if you only have 0.5mm or so clearance and you are effectively putting two thicknesses of felt through the hole, then shouldn't you be looking for felt a bit thinner than 0.5mm i.e circa 0.3mm before allowing for compression :blink:

When I wrote that I was thinking; if there is a gap of .7mm, using .5mm would mean each .5mm piece would need to compress by .15mm, or slightly less than a third, which might just be possible. (ie. .5 plus .5 = 1.0, -.7 =.3 divided by 2 =.15)

Along the lines of Dave's advice I am going to find something else.

Chris