Sign in to follow this  
Mike Pierceall

Personifying The Concertina

Do not anthropomorphize concertinas. They don't like it.

What do they like, then?

Chris

Gentleman's relish on hot buttered toast.

I like to name things, so I name my hats and lot of other possessions.

I call my treble Wheatstone that I have had from just about the beginning of my playing “Ophelia” because it is another tragic character in a Shakespeare play. My tenor treble is called Maxmilian a derivative of the name of the Scottish man who bought it originally and passed it on to his nephew who in turn sold it to me. My Bass/Baritone is called Neptune as it has a voice like I imagine Neptune to have and because I am from the Planet Neptune. Although, it is known by a different name to Neptunian’s. My busking tenor treble is called Louise because it has the same birthday as an old, long since departed, woman, Louise Juliette Bath, that I knew only from all her old papers strewn about on the floor an old abandoned mill. Since she was evidently forgotten, I decided to remember her with the music from this old instrument.

These are explanations, but they are not rationalizations, as I think, anyone who tries to rationalize anything at all, in this crazy world of ours, is still crazier yet. Only fools try to make sense of their actions, I am, what I am, a mad “concertinistaneena.”

Juliette

I haven't named my concertinas, but these happen to have names:

Wheatstone Anglo - "Harvey"

Dipper Anglo - "Athena"

Wheatstone English - "Gwyn Bach"

Spooky! :unsure:

Peter.

An estimated 500 call theirs "Connie" and an estimated 1,000 call theirs "Tina". :P

1500 - Are there that many players?

(Avoiding thread drift )- My Tedrows are all named 'Bob' - when I play poorly - its his fault. Others don't yet have names.

I have an old LP of Mike Harding, where he refers to his bass anglo as "this instrument of pleasure I have between my legs." :lol:

I asked Mike about this unusual single action metal ended contrabass concertina, and he told me that the metal ends were made from metal kick-plates from a door! My Wheatstone is called Charlie, or Sir Charles if I have had a particularly good practice session. B)

Hm.. yeah my Wheatstone is "Sir Charles" as well! :)

Patrick

My Wheatstone is called Charlie, or Sir Charles if I have had a particularly good practice session.

Hm.. yeah my Wheatstone is "Sir Charles" as well! :)

Patrick

So - A right pair of Charlies? :rolleyes: