Moving Another Finger To The Same Note!

Hello, all -

I have had trouble deciding where to place this post, since it - by its nature - fits well into "Instrument Construction & Repair", "Ergonomics", "Teaching and Learning" and "Concertina videos & Music". So I flipped a coin and it landed here :P.

Long-stroke buttons

There have been questions about "fifth jumps" on the English concertina (hence the title of this topic) and questions and discussions about why I designed my buttons to go all the way when pressed (from now on called "long-stroke" buttons).

I have place a short, very close-up demo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujDOfA1GoT8.

It isn't meant as a "learn this tune", merely to demonstrate how long-stroke buttons behave, and how fingering is done with frases like these, very common in irish music. Later, I intend to make a complete example with a tune that requires this technique.

Let me also emphasize that the finger switching on the same button can be done on any EC - I've tried with my old instrument, but the long-stroke buttons makes it very easy and allows more emphasis on a certain note, without damage to the finger tops.

Happy Easter to all,

/Henrik

Long-stroke buttons

There have been questions about "fifth jumps" on the English concertina (hence the title of this topic) and questions and discussions about why I designed my buttons to go all the way when pressed (from now on called "long-stroke" buttons).

/Henrik

Both of my instruments have buttons that push down flush with the end plate, and I believe I like tem that way. Long-stroke buttons at least prevent your finger from slipping off the button while you're holding it down.

I tried playing someone else's tina with "stand up" buttons (that don't press all the way down), and it felt very uncomfortable to me.

FWIW, I play Hayden Duet, but the principles should be the same as for EC. There are certain itnervals (4ths and 5ths) that can be awkward if you're run out of fingers I can slide a finger from one button to another if I want, but don't do this often. I do sometimes substitute another finger onto a button that's being held.

--Mike K.