Cash In The Atic ?

Peter Stephenson

Would it be in Sally Army pitch ?

This is what the seller now says: "Several people have asked me to identify the key of the Concertina, and someone kindly explained that the lowest button in the middle row on the Left Hand Side should indicate this.

So when the bellows are pushed this button produces a Bb (though not exactly in tune according to my guitar tuner) and when the bellows are pulled this button produces an approximate F#."

So, now you all know.

Chris

This is what the seller now says: ... when the bellows are pushed this button produces a Bb (though not exactly in tune according to my guitar tuner) and when the bellows are pulled this button produces an approximate F#."

So, now you all know.

Chris

OK, so that makes it a Bb/F#... :unsure:

Or something like that? ponder2.gif

This is what the seller now says: ... when the bellows are pushed this button produces a Bb (though not exactly in tune according to my guitar tuner) and when the bellows are pulled this button produces an approximate F#."

"Sounds" to me as if it's probably Bb/F in old (high) pitch. That would make the push note sound somewhere between Bb and B and the pull note somewhere between F and F#. If an attempt to identify each with "the nearest" A440-based note resulted in matching the lower with the nearest below and the upper with the nearest above, that would account for the seemingly nonstandard interval.

"Sounds" to me as if it's probably Bb/F in old (high) pitch. That would make the push note sound somewhere between Bb and B and the pull note somewhere between F and F#. If an attempt to identify each with "the nearest" A440-based note resulted in matching the lower with the nearest below and the upper with the nearest above, that would account for the seemingly nonstandard interval.

It would indeed Jim, though for the same reason it could just as easily be B/F#, which is a surprisingly common tuning. I was attempting to be humorous, whilst gently pointing out that the seller's information was somewhat dubious.

The "lowest button"?

Wouldn't the middle button be a more reliable indicator of the key?

"Sounds" to me as if it's probably Bb/F in old (high) pitch. ...

The "lowest button"?

Wouldn't the middle button be a more reliable indicator of the key?

I think for somebody who isn't familiar with Anglos, especially 38-key ones, the "lowest button" may be a lot easier to find than the "middle button". :unsure:

Do you think the "middle button" is likely to be in better tune than the "lowest button"? :huh:

(All the notes are likely to be around half a semitone sharp on this instrument, hence likely confusion for the uninitiated seller over whether a given note should be read as a sharp Bb, or another as a flat F#.)