Wheatstone 48 Key English Treble With Nautical History

scoopet

I have a 48 keyed wheatstone english treble concertina for sale.

It has highly polished rose wood ends

metal keys

dark green leather bellows

brass reeds, and is in excellent condition with hexagonal rosewood case (very good condition)

It was fully restored, new pads, valves, bushings etc and tuned to modern concert pitch by Nigel Sture less than 3 months ago.

The serial number is 8894.The Horniman ledgers show that it was purchased on august 18th 1856 by Captain Otway.

Looking at a royal navy role call in 1856 shows that there was only one Captain George Otway at the time ,who went to to reach the rank of Rear Admiral.He was the son of Admiral Sir Robert Waller Otway who fought with Nelson during several campaigns!!!

The concertina plays very well , has a very good action and has a nice volume for a brass reeded instrument.Its in excellent cosmetic condition and the probable history of it is great! I wish it could talk!!

I'm asking 795 pounds or near offer for it, am based down in devon and am best contacted either through the forum or on 01271 814609.

kind regards simon

whoops...... :unsure: :blink:

having taken the end off the number is actually 8394!!!!!!!!...If it could talk it would tell me it was never bought by captain otway!!!!!!

the paper label is a bit faded and I always thought it was 8894...SORRY....ignore the nautical history!!

if anyone can find 8394 in the ledgers please post.

very sorry simon

whoops...... :unsure: :blink:

having taken the end off the number is actually 8394!!!!!!!!...If it could talk it would tell me it was never bought by captain otway!!!!!!

the paper label is a bit faded and I always thought it was 8894...SORRY....ignore the nautical history!!

if anyone can find 8394 in the ledgers please post.

very sorry simon

Hi Simon,

How is Nigel? Haven't seen him since Sidmouth 2002. Still playing melodeon, I guess, but does the Anglo get an airing?

Regards,

Peter.

http://www.horniman.info/WNCMARC/C1052/PAGES/C8P0220S.HTM

thank you for that peter!

nigel seems constantly gigging whenever i speak to him!!

so 8394 was sold on the 29th of may 1860 to D'alquen.....

this would probably have been federick D'alquen ,who was a great pianist and one of Giulio Regondi's closest friends...fantastic history!!!

it sold for 7 pounds and 17 shillings.

so 8394 was sold on the 29th of may 1860 to D'alquen.....

this would probably have been federick D'alquen ,who was a great pianist and one of Giulio Regondi's closest friends...fantastic history!!!

So........"possibly played by Regondi"!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

hi chris,

I won't put this on ebay......not out of principle but beacause I'm technically inept :unsure:

Its such a beautiful ,sweet sounding wheatstone ,and with the fact that D'alquen bought it ( for nearly 8 quid in 1860 ) surely someone with a historic interest in concertinas will want it?

can anyone recommend anyone whose boat this might float.. :)

hi chris,

I won't put this on ebay......not out of principle but beacause I'm technically inept :unsure:

Its such a beautiful ,sweet sounding wheatstone ,and with the fact that D'alquen bought it ( for nearly 8 quid in 1860 ) surely someone with a historic interest in concertinas will want it?

can anyone recommend anyone whose boat this might float.. :)

Hi Simon

Shame I can't afford it. :( It would really compliment my 1856 brass-reeded Wheatstone baritone English. :)

Chris