Tedrow "old Time Dandy"

The woodwork looks lovely. The end bolts jar a bit, I think, when everything else looks so antique, if you want an opinion...much more practical than slotted heads though, I concede.

So is this aimed at American civil war re-creators? Are there that many of them?

The woodwork looks lovely. The end bolts jar a bit, I think, when everything else looks so antique, if you want an opinion...much more practical than slotted heads though, I concede.

So is this aimed at American civil war re-creators? Are there that many of them?

I hope there aren't many of American Civil War re-creators, if you know what I mean;

Bob, did you make this one for somebody or as first come, first serve? Do an English one, in Bb, and I'm yours.

Finally a reason prevails! An instrument, that looks like an instrument, not as a toilet reservuar float.

Stupendous looking. I agree with the bolts comment though, but it's easily fixable by anybody.

And btw, since you are into such dramatic moves, why not explore the handle and look into Goran's ideas?

A thumb strap in combination with the wrist support may add additional stability, no?

Edited by m3838

I am deeply incensed at your suggestion that my Aeola looks like a ballcock. Apologise at once.

(and do you really want a transposing English? Are you joining a brass band?)

I am deeply incensed at your suggestion that my Aeola looks like a ballcock. Apologise at once.

(and do you really want a transposing English? Are you joining a brass band?)

I apologise.

Hm. so I can say anything and then apologise? Man, I'm livin'!

No, my argumentative friends, I am not going to join brass band, they walk alot and way too cool for me (the uniform, hats, keeping in rhythm) - no, I just long for that low tone, but above baritone. EC is centered around C and octave lower C is too deep. Chords don't work well there. In the trebble upper octave chords are useless and it's too thin. Bb seems to be nicely lower. Or A would do. G is too low and I haven't heard of such.

Hm. so I can say anything and then apologise?

No, that's just the first part.

I just long for that low tone, but above baritone. EC is centered around C and octave lower C is too deep. Chords don't work well there. In the trebble upper octave chords are useless and it's too thin. Bb seems to be nicely lower. Or A would do. G is too low and I haven't heard of such.

How about a tenor? You can get them pitched in F (the middle two rows a scale in F), or in C with the same range:

TenorRange.gif

Hm. so I can say anything and then apologise?

No, that's just the first part.

I just long for that low tone, but above baritone. EC is centered around C and octave lower C is too deep. Chords don't work well there. In the trebble upper octave chords are useless and it's too thin. Bb seems to be nicely lower. Or A would do. G is too low and I haven't heard of such.

How about a tenor? You can get them pitched in F (the middle two rows a scale in F), or in C with the same range:

TenorRange.gif

Yea, it'd be nice too. Them I'll sound like Rostropovich.

Or is there something else I need?

Quite a few. Almost as many as fought in the war. A diverse group of groups that reenact everything from knights in shining armor to WWII. Pick your flavour. There are two in the town where I live. One reenacts history from the signing of the Northwest Treaty and the First US full time soldiers that have evolved into the Presidential Guard at the Capitol, and the other a Pennsylvania Infantry regiment that fought at Gettysburg. :)

I hope there aren't many of American Civil War re-creators, if you know what I mean;

There are :o ,I don't :( , and why not :angry: ?

Thanks

Leo :mellow:

TenorRange.gif

Yea, it'd be nice too. Then I'll sound like Rostropovich.

Or is there something else I need?

Only how to play the reeds with a bow.

By the way, nice looking concertina, Bob. I've grown fond of the hex- and octo-boxes, but I like the smaller size of the square box, and it must fit quite snugly into a case!

Could just as well be aimed at British re-enactors of whatever wars the Empire was fighting in the 1840s, 1850s and 1860s.....or maybe just re-enactors of busking on the London ferryboats!

Very nice that Bob would tip his hat to the historical side of anglo concertinas, and to their humble German roots.

Cheers,

Dan

ps, the tutor is from 1852 London; Bob's square one looks ever more elegant.

I hope there aren't many of American Civil War re-creators, if you know what I mean

In modern political climate "re-enacting the Civil War" begins to have very straight forward connotation.

I'm sure there are some, who wouldn't mind to see it re-enacted en-large and for real.

And I can't say I disapprove completely.

(Just escaped having our kid taken away because of false report to CPS)

But speaking of historic timeline:

Why Bob made this one now, and not 5 years ago? :blink:

I hope there aren't many of American Civil War re-creators, if you know what I mean

In modern political climate "re-enacting the Civil War" begins to have very straight forward connotation.

I'm sure there are some, who wouldn't mind to see it re-enacted en-large and for real.

Here here!!

Here here!!

So that whole slavery thing was a price worth paying for Southern autonomy? :huh:

Very nice that Bob would tip his hat to the historical side of anglo concertinas, and to their humble German roots.

Cheers,

Dan

Yes -- as the new owner of a Hayden Duet "Bandoneon", I'm pleased to see some respect from a great maker for boxes with fewer than six sides.

But I bet the action is still traditional English radial, and not parallel like a real German (or modern Italian) box. Sure does look nice, though.

FWIW, in Chicago I knew an American Civil War re-enactor (not "re-creator", tho it is recreational). He was a bugler, and had quite a collection of bugles and odd trumpets. Into "battle" he would carry a canteen of brandy to share with his commaning officer, which, along with his playing skills, got him a reputation as "one fine bugler." ;) --Mike K.

Cheers,

Dan

Yes -- as the new owner of a Hayden Duet "Bandoneon", I'm pleased to see some respect from a great maker for boxes with fewer than six sides.

But I bet the action is still traditional English radial, and not parallel like a real German (or modern Italian) box. Sure does look nice, though.

FWIW, in Chicago I knew an American Civil War re-enactor (not "re-creator", tho it is recreational). He was a bugler, and had quite a collection of bugles and odd trumpets. Into "battle" he would carry a canteen of brandy to share with his commaning officer, which, along with his playing skills, got him a reputation as "one fine bugler." ;) --Mike K.

Have nothing against re-enactors, but keep a weary eye on re-creators.

And no, I didn't understand the comment about slavery.

Oh, btw, here is the answer to "why trad music is been payed faster nowadays" - You try to play fast on those german concertinas, be them square or even trianglular.

Or those cool cupboard looking accordions with brass reeds and 4 stops.

So I guess those marching soldiers moved rather slowly to keep in rhythm.

Good for them. Now they'd have to run.

A propos the brandy story; an acquaintance is a serious Napoleonic re-enactor; apparently the upper ranks are all permanently allocated, duplicated to spread the workload, and he is one of a few who plays a particular general. This entails him doing one battle on horseback in longjohns (there was a desperate retreat going on, somewhere in Spain) and in another (possibly Waterloo) he is required to send his valet round offering his officers brandy and cigars. The original did it so he has to, and he pays.

He and the other General Whatevers apparently do a lot of buck passing between each other when these two battles come up.