Wooden Jeffries

Just thinking of options (suspected nickel allergy), Did Jeffries make many or any 38key anglos with wooden ends? How do they compare to the more common metal ended ones?

Hi Mike,

I have seen plenty of 26 and 30 key wooden ended Jeffries over the years but don't recall seeing a 38key.

I have played a lot of superb wooden ended Wheatstone Linotas. These have varied from mellow and sweet sounding to as brash and honky as the best of Jeffries.

A few years ago, these would have been a lot cheaper than a Jeffries but these days there seems little difference in the price.

If you already have an instrument you might consider getting some wooden ends made for it. Not cheap to do maybe, but a fraction of the value of the instrument.

A rather swish alternative may be to get the ends and buttons gold plated. I saw one done years ago and it looked magnificent.

Before embarking on expensive changes, I would ask the Doc to refer you to an allergy clinic and see if they can prove a connection.

Regards

Dave

Edited by Dave Prebble

A rather swish alternative may be to get the ends and buttons gold plated. I saw one done years ago and it looked magnificent.

Before embarking on expensive changes, I would ask the Doc to refer you to an allergy clinic and see if they can prove a connection.

Regards

Dave

I am considering the gold plate option, as well as a new set of laser cut stainless ends. The big worry about plating is making sure each button gets back in the right position as the ends are all contoured from many years of playing. If they can guarentee to keep them ordered or identifiable then I'd consider the full plating option.

The allergy test is booked, but the consulant thought that nickel was high on the list, and also chrome from the tanned leather straps. The locality of the problems point strongly in that direction. The rate of metal removal from the back corner of the end plates also sugests a strong reaction with my hands; the back edges are as thin as razors now.

Edited by mike averill

Could you try something simple like coating the ends of the buttons and the metal where your hand rests with clear nail polish ?It would be reversible; but of course nail polish may also be allergenic.Robin

This is certainly recommended for things like earrings/jewellery and spectacle frames when there a nickel allergy problem.

It's supposed to actually be better than various coatings sold specifically for the problem

How about stripping the metal ends out and taking them to a clock maker or wind instrument repairer and getting them lacquered then commissioning a set of plastic (or bone?) buttons?

"Dave

I am considering the gold plate option, as well as a new set of laser cut stainless ends. The big worry about plating is making sure each button gets back in the right position as the ends are all contoured from many years of playing. If they can guarentee to keep them ordered or identifiable then I'd consider the full plating option."

The end plates used to be made before the actions were put in place, and the actions positioned using the actual ends as the template. Geoff Crabb tells the story of sending six metal ends away for plating which were subsequently stolen from the platers. The actions on their intended concertinas had to be taken out, all the holes filled and then repositioned to align with the new ends they had to make....... That would have been a year or two before scanning and computerised laser cutting was available but it is a cautionary tale....

I'm not sure how plating could significantly change the hole positions. The amount of metal applied is extremely thin. Silver plating is not that expensive, unless you are also allergic to real silver. I got several nickel silver ends plated with real silver for $50 per pair, and then found a plater to do it for $37. You need to deal with the plater, not with a retail outlet, like a jewellery store to get those kinds of prices. Getting new ends made and new buttons is a lot more fuss and expense for what should not be that big a problem.