English Beginner's Lesson Book?

Hi Gang,

Looking to purchase a good "beginner's book" for English as I am ordering my Jack next week. (Yeah!!!) I downloaded the Butler book but thought I might also purchase a new hardcopy book at the same time. I've been looking here: Button Box English Book link

Any recommendations?

Thanks again from a newbie!

Scott

Hey Leo,

I'm as newbie as they come on concertina. Never even picked one up. I play bluegrass banjo and was looking to add a new sound to our jam sessions. I have seen probably the first 5 of Martyn's Youtube series.

Thanks!

Scott

I started with the Butler's tutor which is available to download free at:

http://www.concertina.com/butler/butler-th...rtina-tutor.pdf

There's also a lot of information about EC tutors at:

http://www.concertina.com/merris/bibliogra...lish-tutors.htm

A lot of Butler is devoted to teaching you how to read music, which I didn't need, but it also teaches several keys, accidentals and has quite a few tunes to get started on and exercises increasing in difficulty. It was certainly worthwhile for me.

Have fun -

Pamela

Ihave a tutor available,and also a song accomaniment tutor.www.dickmiles.com

Alistair Andersons excellent tutor is available from the button box[photocopy ]

Concertina FAQ has details of other tutors.DickMiles

Depends what style the student is interested in.

Alistar Andersons tutor is full of folk tunes of the same feel and style. I remember going through pages of tunes, where I didn't learn anything new, just new sequence of notes. If you are interested in repertore of Englsh (British?) folk songs, get it.

If you like classical - Wim Wakker's tutor and just play from scores.

If you like chordal and jazz - don't even know. I guess you need some of the 19 century tutors available on the internet. But first learn the keyboard.

You bring up a very interesting point Mr. m3838! I'm mostly interested in learning American folk songs on the concertina. I don't really know very many English Folk songs. It seems the majority of the books (tutors) that are folk-based are English folk-based. I realize that is because this is a very English instrument, just as my current instrument, banjo, is a very American instrument. When it comes down to it, I would like to be able to play the same songs on the concertina that I currently play on the banjo. So I think what I really need to do is concentrate on learning the keyboard and then start plinking my way thru the songs I all ready know. Anybody else approached learning the concertina from this angle?

Thanks!

Scott

So I think what I really need to do is concentrate on learning the keyboard and then start plinking my way thru the songs I all ready know.

That's what I've been doing. Don't worry, Scott, the Wim Wakker tutor teaches the keyboard systematically and is not limited to any particular style (the practice tunes are very varied in style).