Got The Bug To Buy Something.. Help?!

seanc

Need some advise/ clarity/ reality check or just a plain slap upside the head..

I have pretty much convinced myself that "I NEED" to buy something new. I have a bunch of stuff that I have been trying to move on Craigslist and up until recently had been pretty sure I was going to put at least some/ most of the procedes toward an English concertina.

"THE PLAN" was in place. All that needed to happen was sell off a few thing and all would go like clock work... Then, the CL gear has not sold so quickly. A bunch of stuff is still lingering waiting to be sold.

So, then while looking at the ECs (lustingly) I got distracted and side tracked by.... a melodeon (could it be that there may be another vying for my attention??)...

So, here I am still looking and now I am torn and confused. I have been playing Anglo. And still leaning toward the EC, but there just seems to be something unsettlingly complelling about that spiffy mother of tiolet seat in a mutlitude of colors...

And as an aside, assuming @ $1k to spend..Any suggestions? On the English, is 30 buttons enough? Should I be looking at 48??

Thanks!

And as an aside, assuming @ $1k to spend..Any suggestions? On the English, is 30 buttons enough?

I think I remember listings on this forum for nice 48 button Lachenal with brass reeds.

Look up buy and sell pages.

A few years ago I had George Case with brass reeds and Wheatstone with steel reeds, all for $1K. Both were slowish, weakish, squeakish and both went back. So much so, that for these few years I have forgotten all about concertina as unsuitable for me instrument.

So I guess $1K may be unsatisfactory, unless (counter logically) you save a few bucks and get Jackie.

Or get lucky and find brass reeded Lachenal, that is reasonably fast, loud, tight and good sounding.

30 buttons are quite enough as far as accidentals go, you don't miss single one, but the range is a concern.

If you want classical music - two octaves is frustrating.

For $1K you can get a heck of a balalaika :D

Need some advise/ clarity/ reality check or just a plain slap upside the head..

I have pretty much convinced myself that "I NEED" to buy something new. I have a bunch of stuff that I have been trying to move on Craigslist and up until recently had been pretty sure I was going to put at least some/ most of the procedes toward an English concertina.

"THE PLAN" was in place. All that needed to happen was sell off a few thing and all would go like clock work... Then, the CL gear has not sold so quickly. A bunch of stuff is still lingering waiting to be sold.

So, then while looking at the ECs (lustingly) I got distracted and side tracked by.... a melodeon (could it be that there may be another vying for my attention??)...

So, here I am still looking and now I am torn and confused. I have been playing Anglo. And still leaning toward the EC, but there just seems to be something unsettlingly complelling about that spiffy mother of tiolet seat in a mutlitude of colors...

And as an aside, assuming @ $1k to spend..Any suggestions? On the English, is 30 buttons enough? Should I be looking at 48??

Thanks!

I see what your problem is, its understandable, you are on a path of evolution spurned and funded by GAS (Gear aquisition syndrome).

what your really hankering for is a Duet: whenever an anglo player starts eying the unisonorics, its a tell tale sign he or she really wants a Duet but cannot face the social stigma of being labeled such.

So, now comes the time when you break away from convention, when you reach further into your pocketbook than even your GAS will propel, and throw your shillings at a Duet!

Mind you, its not to be taken lightly, like winning a fluffy teddy bear by tossing dimes into a dish, the carnival music, the cotton candy, popcorn, and elephant fragrence dilates your nostrils as you wander booth to booth -

"Oh what is it I long for? " coins jangeling in your sweaty fist

Yes, that duet is calling you, waiting like a frothing pint on the bar.

Go on, drink up lad!

Yes, that duet is calling you, waiting like a frothing pint on the bar.

Go on, drink up lad!

My balalaika is broken, my shirt is torn, my hat is stomped upon and I'm sitting here, sobbing.

What am I longing for?

There is no use to stare at a bottle of Vodka.

It's empty.

Beautiful.

You say you want a melodion. Well we're going to leave you here and go next door.

The pistol on the table is loaded.

A gentleman will know what to do, to save pain and distress to his loved ones.

(and real musicians save up and buy duets!!!!)

hmmm. I DID have a Stagi duet, I traded that and my rochelle for the ac norman that I currently have. While the sound was nice, it was rather difficult to play, in terms of bellows, reeds and buttons. While a better duet might be something to consider, I think the 1k ish price range rules out just about anything but the stagi.

If only Wim would put together a Jackie type duet, I would definitely jump on board.

I found that the Rochelle was much easier to play than the stagi. But I really did like the melloness of the stagi sound..

and I have to say that everytime I see Professor Rat's Roslin Castle I can not help but to be completely awestruck...So I am still leaning toward the EC. The Jack/ie probably would be the best way to go initially financially. But I'd also hate to be wanting to trade it a couple of months after having sold it while, I may be able to put together enough $ for a step up initially..

Hey, it's normal as one ages to get crazy urges. I get the urge to buy something ridiculous about 4 times a week. I either ignore it and it goes away, or put in an ebay bid that would be a cheap bargain on something if I won (rarely concertinas these days). I'm only unlucky enough to win an auction about once a year! Last year it was a battered Conn E-flat alto trumpet. What was I thinking? Honestly, I can see why those of you with spouses and concertina obsessive acquisition disorder (COAD) get in trouble. Maybe this is why no one would ever marry me, even though I don't have four disassembled cars outside the house!

Ken

I get a "must bid..." reaction every time a decent C/F melodeon comes up on EBay (I already have an A/D/G and a C box). Luckily they usually go for silly money, so my bankbalance remains untroubled.

I actually did try the urge to play before the urge to buy, once... it was a tuba..

I marched around my house, puffed up my cheeks, made silly faces and twiddled my fingers a lot. It did not have desired result I had in mind. I even went as far as marching around the yard doing all of the above whilst yelling OOM PAH OOM PAH.

The neighbors called the men in the white coats with the butterfly nets and the advised me that unless i actually HAD a tuba this behaviour was looked on rather badly. The told me that if I continued they would subsequently cart me away to place where i would be able to play my magic Sousaphone anytime, day or night. They said that I would given magic pills to make me a better tuba player but, I would also be forced to wear a football helmet. as the football helmet really didn't fit well into the marching band theme, I passed..

It was further stated that under massachusetts law it was actually illegal to impersonate a tuba player in public without either special license, or a tuba.

• 1 year later...
I actually did try the urge to play before the urge to buy, once... it was a tuba..

I marched around my house, puffed up my cheeks, made silly faces and twiddled my fingers a lot. It did not have desired result I had in mind. I even went as far as marching around the yard doing all of the above whilst yelling OOM PAH OOM PAH.

The neighbors called the men in the white coats with the butterfly nets and the advised me that unless i actually HAD a tuba this behaviour was looked on rather badly. The told me that if I continued they would subsequently cart me away to place where i would be able to play my magic Sousaphone anytime, day or night. They said that I would given magic pills to make me a better tuba player but, I would also be forced to wear a football helmet. as the football helmet really didn't fit well into the marching band theme, I passed..

It was further stated that under massachusetts law it was actually illegal to impersonate a tuba player in public without either special license, or a tuba.

Well, Seanc, after this remark about Tubas, perhaps you'd better take Dirge's advice about that pistol :angry:

Now that that's settled, what about Wim's Elise?

I tried it and a Stagi at the Button Box a couple of weeks ago. Intersting compared to EC (which I confess, I'm just learning) but I think I'll go with a Crane when I get a Duet. I've resisted the Buy It Now reflex for the moment ... must not look ....help .... :lol:

Rod in Tucson