If You Could Only Play 3 Irish Songs For St. Pattys

Hooves

what would be the 3 of the 100's (dare I say thousands?) of irish tunes to play on St. Patricks day for an open mic performance given you can only play 3 tunes (thats the rules at the bar I play at upon occasion):

my choices due to my limited knowledge of Irish tunes will be:

The Wearing of the Green

The Jolly Beggar Man (reel, not the Red Haired Boy)

The Irish Ballad (by Tom Lehr)

My alternative is the somber but enchanting "Mountains of Mourne"

Briefly-- a song has words.

A tune has melody but no words.

What's good enough for Mendelssohn is good enought for me - to showcase my concertina (30-b. Anglo) I'd do a couple of songs without words ;-)

e.g.:

She moved through the fair

The Ballynure Ballad

Down by the Sally Gardens

First two sparsely arranged, third one really lush.

Cheers,

John

Just to show that ITM is not all didly dee

I would play these

Take My Hand

She begs for more (Sheebeg Sheemore)

Off to California (or called the Galway Hornpipe if live in Galway)

then sing the super slow version of "Whiskey in the Jar"

Briefly-- a song has words.

A tune has melody but no words.

thanks for the clarification - I didn't realize there was that distinction, but it makes sense: I chose "songs" not tunes, though if I don't sing my part and just play the melody, am I playing a "tune"?

nice choices for those that responded, I'm off to search the archives for advice on singing over concertina.

Poll Ha'penny - because it has those nice varying modalitys that really sum up irish hornpipes and can also be played as an air

St Patricks Day - becuase thats what its about, and hopefully I shall be accompanying some dancers

Paddy Ryans Dream - because the audience will be hyped on guiness and expect a stonking good reel - although I might substitute the Glasgow real, the Tartar Frigate, or popcorn behaviour if Im feeling rebelious - because the audience wont realise they arent irish and theyre great tunes.

Could you play a set and have it count as one? If so, I've found that Swallowtail Jig, Off She Goes and Lannigan's Ball are three jigs that work very nicely together.

Si Bheag Si Mohr is one of the most beautiful airs I know, the one that made me want to play Irish music in the first place, in fact!

I also love the tune Harvest Home.

Then again, all the songs are my favorite!

Could you play a set and have it count as one? If so, I've found that Swallowtail Jig, Off She Goes and Lannigan's Ball are three jigs that work very nicely together.

Si Bheag Si Mohr is one of the most beautiful airs I know, the one that made me want to play Irish music in the first place, in fact!

rules are different at various open mics, but sure, why not - I think its almost a tradition to play 3 songs back to back, I often hear songs/tunes played this way at the Celtic festivals I attend.

The rule at the club I like is 15 minutes or 3 "songs" whichever comes first.

rules are different at various open mics, but sure, why not - I think its almost a tradition to play 3 songs back to back, I often hear songs/tunes played this way at the Celtic festivals I attend.

The rule at the club I like is 15 minutes or 3 "songs" whichever comes first.

It's worth a shot! Besides it's fun to put them together to see what goes and what doesn't. I like finding tunes that have similar elements, but are arranged in different ways for the contrast.

I don't know if I'd be able to only play for 15 minutes though, I tend to play all night, or untill I fall asleep in the middle of a tune. (Yes, it's actually happened!)

I'd go with

Give me Your Hand (Tabhair Dom do Lamh)

and then two O'Carolan tunes

O'Carolan's Farewell to Music

George Brabazon

Edited by CaryK

• 2 weeks later...

I played last week I choose to play:

The Irish ballad, Mountains of Mourne, and Jolly Beggar Man reel. When I started playign the Jolly Beggarman I got some hoots and calls, didn't surprise me but through me off and I ended up taking 2 "solos"...

I used my guitar not my box as I need baffles and mics for my concertina, its very difficult to sing to it since its so loud, plus, I play guitar siginificantly better than concertina, hopefully next year I will play all on the box.