St. Patrick's Day

Hello, friends!

In Spain we don't use to celebrate this day because St. Patrick (in Spanish, San Patricio) is a bad known saint.

But I love Irish traditions (I love most of Spanish traditions too), and I'd like to celebrate (at home) this day. But I need some ideas. I know St. Patrick's day is a big celebration in Ireland/Eire and the U.S.A., and I'd like to know how is this celebration in your country.

Do you make something especial this day?

Is there any tipical food to eat at St. Patricks's day?

Is there music in live? (in this point, I suppose that the answer is "yes").

Tell me, I need ideas. And I like to learn.

In Oslo there is a parade through the streets, with competition for the best dressed costume. Mostly "green haired"

Prize a trip to Ireland (Ryanair of course) Speach on the town hall steps.

Then session in the Dubliner pub.

Chas

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So are you saying Willie is no longer to be counted as a 100% person these days, perhaps more horse than man?

Willie Daly counts for at least 19 people and about the same number of horses.

Everybody in Ireland is Catholic...

As far as everybody in Ireland being Catholic, the question I have is:

Can one be culturally Catholic but not religious? For Jews the difference is simple-- tribal Jew vs. temple Jew.

Along the same line, it seems that a person could be a cultural Catholic rather than an observant Catholic. James Joyce perhaps?

WOW!!

Thank you very much for your answers. It's fantastic!

Well, I have green clothes, I have some Guinness, I have Irish music, I have my concertina, I have a bodhran, I have tin whistle,...

I will try to do the "brown bread" (it is not problem, because I make bread everyday). But I haven't soda... Well, I will see how to do this bread.

The story of viejomc's grandfather with the potatoes is a beautiful story. Is a personal or familiar tradition, but is a wonderful tradition.

I'm going to continue reading your answers.

Thanks.

'Budweiser 2008 St. Patrick's Day Stein. Inspired by the Irish concertina that’s so much a part the Shamrock Isle’s musical tradition. Adorned with a leather thumb-hold on its pewter lid, an Irish toast, plus the Gaelic word, “sláinte!”, which means “cheers!” Designed by Angel Santiago and manufactured by BRAX Ltd. Made in China. 8¼"H.'

BudweiserConcertinaSteinStPatricks2.jpg

'Budweiser 2008 St. Patrick's Day Stein. Inspired by the Irish concertina that’s so much a part the Shamrock Isle’s musical tradition. Adorned with a leather thumb-hold on its pewter lid, an Irish toast, plus the Gaelic word, “sláinte!”, which means “cheers!” Designed by Angel Santiago and manufactured by BRAX Ltd. Made in China. 8¼"H.'

BudweiserConcertinaSteinStPatricks2.jpg

OMG, we all need one of these MFers.

I would like to interupt the thread for a moment please...

... but in Ireland everyone's Catholic it seems.

For the record, I just wanted to post the full statement. I said "it seems" because I know that everyone in Ireland isn't Catholic and that it only seems that way sometimes... especially on Catholic holidays.

Ok, carry on with your regularly scheduled thread.

In the land of Boston.. ...........................

...................... We do have a parade.. Well, did. Do we still, I am not sure any more? .......................

Here's a site with some info:

Saint Patricks Day Parade dot com

I live closest to Worcester, Massachusetts. We used to have a parade in my own hometown, Clinton, but that was a long time ago.

My family wasn't Irish, but simply because my hometown was so strongly Irish (... or, they were the more vocal ones in the ethnic melting pot, so we knew about them, I guess), we would probably at least say 'Happy Saint Patrick's Day' to someone. I confess, I can never even remember the facts about the guy. As I recall, he wasn't particularly seen as a hero by all, but -- I don't remember.

Most of my teachers in school were from Irish families. Especially when I was younger. So were most of the students. I was usually one of the oddballs in the bunch. My own particular claim to ethnicity was Finnish, but even there, I was on the fringe -- wasn't a Lutheran like all my relatives. We somehow ended up being Baptists. But, they still served me dinner and I still had to help wash dishes. It was nice to use the sauna, too -- it was years before I realized that not everyone living out in the country had a sauna house.

So, anyway -- Have a Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

I have an entry in my tunebook here, 'Saint Patrick Was A Gentleman.' I recently corrected the code for it in fact, because it wasn't showing up. It's record ID 295.

Edited by bellowbelle

Hello, friends!

In Spain we don't use to celebrate this day because St. Patrick (in Spanish, San Patricio) is a bad known saint.

But I love Irish traditions (I love most of Spanish traditions too), and I'd like to celebrate (at home) this day. But I need some ideas. I know St. Patrick's day is a big celebration in Ireland/Eire and the U.S.A., and I'd like to know how is this celebration in your country.

Do you make something especial this day?

Is there any tipical food to eat at St. Patricks's day?

Is there music in live? (in this point, I suppose that the answer is "yes").

Tell me, I need ideas. And I like to learn.

Here in Chicago, we have two parades. One is held in downtown Chicago on the Saturday before St. Patricks Day and I always march in it. It is a bit political, with all the politicians, especially the ones currently running for office, all trying to elbow their way to the front positions next to our Mayor Daley. The second parade is called the Southside Parade, and in recent years it has been the more popular. It marches thru an Irish neighborhood called Beverly, and has a very friendly neighborly feel to it. It was supposed to be on March 15th this year, but because of Palm Sunday it will happen on Sunday March 9th. We Irish Chicagoans are a hearty breed and will march thru rain, snow, whatever our Midwest weather will bring.

Afterwards, many of us head to the many Irish bars in Chicago for Guinness, music and fun!

-Kathie